Sixt Car Hire Reviews - www.sixt.co.uk

Sixt Car Hire www.sixt.co.uk - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Sixt Car Hire www.sixt.co.uk

Sixt Car Hire www.sixt.co.uk

“Unable to pick up car due to proof of addresss!”

written by Elliottmn138 on 04/01/2023

Having hired cars around the world, I turn up at SIXT London Heathrow T5 to pick up the car this morning 4th Jan 2023 after a 13 hour flight and they would not allow me to hire it without 2 x proof of address within last 3 months! I am a UK driving license and house owner and a resident of Dubai, so I could have done it either way with credit cards, banks. They stoped me using the tourist method because I had no flight back to dubai. When I eventually dug out 3 proofs of address, one was within 3 months and the other 2 just over. They refused point blank. I have NEVER come cross this in in my life, even their confirmation email says bring credit card you paid along with license and passport. Nothing else! I had to go back to T5 log on to cafe wifi and book Alamo wait for another shuttle bus, but this time it was a breeze, straight in and car ready, no pedantic, no issue with my credentials. I would NOT risk using SIXT your plans could be in tatters and they smiled without a care in the world that your booking is not possible. Still waiting for the refund!

“Worst service ever”

written by Curtis432 on 05/12/2022

Worst ever service from car rental staff at Sixt St Pancras in April. Booked and paid in advance for 27-day rental, but when I and my disabled wife arrived was told they could not accept temporary licence even when accompanied by full licence due to expire in 8 days, notwithstanding their international website stating temp license would be acceptable if accompanied by expired full license. Staff were extremely contemptuous. Took 42 days to refund rental. Most serious problem was aggressive language of ladies behind counter. A family friend received exactly the same treatment at Sixt St Pancras a few weeks later. I hire cars for a total of about 20 weeks in UK every year. Will never go near this firm again. I received excellent service from Sixt in Orebro in Sweden in July last year, so maybe the problem is confined to the UK…

“Stay clear ”

written by JulianneDunn on 23/08/2022

Booked in January for collection in August. 2 days before collection I get an amended booking with increased charges following a visit to their Web site. None of these changes were implemented by me. Stay clear

“Will always find a way to deduct your deposit”

written by Narmeen on 27/07/2022

I wont recommend this greedy rental to you We gave them the vehicle all cleaned on the 20th... but still they the audacity to deduct my deposit Just keen to search ways to eat up customer's deposit to rip off their pocket

“Rubbish”

written by Simpsonge326 on 28/06/2022

I recently rented from Argus / sixt in dublin Drove the renault clio out of dublin airport and soon realised there was an issue with the steering … it was pulling hard to the left Onto the freeway and as i accelerated there was violent intermittent steering wheel shake. I managed to get to Mayo and checked in Hotel … next day was a quiet day and no driving . Got in car following day and it was the same … i called sixt and they sent a chap to try to fix it … we tested it. Together on the car park and he could see there was an inbalance … so he took it for a drive … he returned and told me in needed urgent repair and not to drive it any long distance - and i would get a call … he was about to leave and a lady called me .. she told me thw mechanic had suggested it needed minor work - i had heard there entire conversation and minor was not in it !! Mechanic was still there so i asked him again whilst on the phone to sixt and he said it needed urgent repair … she tried to get me to drive it to a garage - i explained that i was on vacation and i needed a rental car available and i was not prepared to drive it - that was her job not mine …! I agreed to let them take it for repair … they picked it up on a loader and returned it that evening “fixed” it was slightly better but still shaking and it drove like a crab still . My wife was screaming at me to stop and we ended up with a compromised vacation Finally got this disaster of a car back to dublin and dropped it off .. I told the sixt guy “please do not let this car go out again - it is a danger” his reply was based on what i may have done to it - but when i explained he just said “reault clio - they are rubbish - always the same” not really what i wanted to hear …. I have been renting holiday vehicles for over 30 years and this was so far the worst ever experience- just want to forget it … I did fill in the online review but no reply from u on that… i lost 1/2 a day car use and 5 days of danger...rubbish company

“Complete disregard for customers”

written by Slee2626 on 31/05/2022

We hired a car from Sixt for our holiday about a month in advance. When we went to collect the car it turned out all their systems were down and had to use a manual method for card payments. We tried various cards and none worked, so we called our banks and credit card companies but all said the manual process that Sixt were using was not secure which is why they couldn't be paid. Turns out that this was a common problem that had been ongoing for 2 weeks, however they decided not to tell customers in advance. Why? Well because then they'd lose all money when customers cancelled and used someone else, whereas instead they waited to see whose money they could take and anyone they couldn't they just abandoned. We offered multiple solutions including paying cash, leaving card details and paying when systems were up etc. But they just didn't care. We were left standed at faro Airport on our first family holiday with a 4 year old and 5 month old for over 3 hours trying to get another car along with multiple other customers who were all in the same position. I will accept technical difficulties happen, however I will not accept that any company can show complete disregard for their customers with no alternative proposal given. I highly recommend staying far away from this company.

“overcharge”

written by naderhamz on 13/03/2022

Had booked a pickup from Faro Airport in Feb 2022. On arrival had a lengthy wait, the assistant persuaded us to take a car with a full tank of petrol which we were charged for, took this to hurry things up..very pushy. Returned the car half full, no issues with that. Found out they charged my card 104 euros anyway. On drop off they advised all was good and no charges, now I have to battle to get a refund, really annoying.. Car was OK. Be careful

“outstanding staff Edinburgh”

written by TomVeez on 12/03/2022

Arrived in early Feb at Edinburgh Airport, i discover my driving licence has expired. They bent over backwards to ensure we were to leave with a car on our family holiday. I can't thank them enough. My daughter took the wheel and despite having to change the name on the contract, they limited the impact on cost and made every effort to help

“Not worth the money”

written by Little392 on 01/03/2022

Long story hired xar Aberdeen did not get the car I ordered couldn't fit a family of mice in the one i got but no discount. And now there trying to take money from me for a scratch I did not do. No proof or nothing so now I have to take them to court but boy have they got a fight on there hands WOULD NOT recommend this idiots to anyone

“ABSOLUTE PERFECTION!”

written by on 01/03/2022

I had a job interview at the beginning of January 2019 for the position of Administration Officer in Slough. Everybody was just absolute perfection! When I got there, I was greeted with the friendliest smiles, warmth and happiness. This made me more relaxed. The building was impeccably flawless/immaculate to the very highest degree! It was a perfect experience! THANK YOU VERY, VERY MUCH FOR BEING ABSOLUTELY PERFECT, IMPECCABLY FLAWLESS AND IMMACULATE TO THE VERY HIGHEST DEGREE!!

“Wouldn't recommend to my worst enemy”

written by 346Meadows on 16/11/2021

Worst car hire company I've ever used. On returning the car I went through all preexisting damages with the rep. I was assured all was in order and there was no further damage, which I knew for a fact. 2 months later they send a letter asking to pay for damages you have not caused. Reading the reviews here and elsewhere seems like it's their standard procedure. Avoid at all costs.

Davidnorman1's Comment

Written on: 03/02/2022

I had exactly the same experience recently in Malaga. If this practice is widespread then the appropriate authorities should be involved. I am considering making an official complaint via the national police force who have a presence at the airport.

Shiftyx's Comment

Written on: 21/02/2022

Unfortunately, in Spain, and Malaga particularly, they are famous for it. The worst company is GoldCar who have more than 90% one star reviews. When I returned the car, they said they were too busy to check it, so I took over 100 pictures of the car. Then a month later, they made up damage saying I had damaged the front right wing, so I sent a picture of the undamaged front right wing, so they said they meant the back right wing, so I sent a picture of that and they said they meant the front left wing, so I sent a picture of that and told them I wasn't playing their game anymore. I then took it up with the company I'd actually booked through, (who'd palmed me on on GoldCar), and they gave me the money back. Spanish car hire is a sham. All the companies seem to do the same thing, and I don't know what you can do about it.

Read 2 Comments

“Shocking service”

written by on 20/09/2021

Having received a confirmation email and arrived with the relevant documentation- DVLA check the kiosk operator insisted on a UK passport- which I didn’t not have despite several UK government photos IDs. Customer services confirmed that this was not needed. I then returned, having gone home, with the relevant additional documents and the attendant cancelled my booking. I filed a review can complained regarding breach of contract. Customer services called within 24 hours but said they were extremely tight (presumably dealing with numerous complaints). I asked for a call on Thursday. They wrote back that they would call on Friday (which I couldn’t do); and no further call was ever followed up. Terrible service continues through the complaints process. Cannot recommend.

“Don’t even consider Sixt+”

written by davelavender on 23/08/2021

On 22/0721 I signed up to Sixt+ as I’d just moved back to Liverpool from London and needed a car asap. I paid: - £499 Subscription Setup Fee. - £718.99 for the car. - 29.99 to guarantee sat nav. - And then at the hire centre they preauthorised another £216.80 for no particular reason which took a week to drop off. - All in all £1,464.78 for what ended up being an Audi Q2 SLine Quattro when I’d requests a BMW 1 Series M Sport (first World problems I know). - Oh and I was offered about £129 extra to bring the damage responsibility down from £1,950 to £450 which I just didn’t have at the time. Now I don’t get paid until the 27th and they won’t wait a week, or take the extra difference at the time. I have to give the car back! And be car less for a week? And if I hadn’t complained I’d have had to paid the £499 subscription fee again. Turned up at the hire place to turn the car at 1pm today closed, so couldn’t even speak to a manager about this madness. And had no intention of standing in the rain waiting for an Uber in the middle of Speke. Personally I would like the £499 subscription fee refunded and never to have to deal with Sixt+ again. Or to have the car for the week, as a gesture of good will.

Davelavender's Response to davelavender's Review

Written on: 28/08/2021

NOW RESOLVED WITH THE LIVERPOOL BRANCH THANKS!

Read 1 Comment

“Returned the rental in perfect condition, the Sixt...”

written by Palmer172 on 04/08/2021

Returned the rental in perfect condition, the Sixt agent inspects the car, confirms everything was fine (witnesses!), tells me to sign the checkout form on her shaky phone and waves us goodbye – only to send a damage claim for 900GBP four weeks later. This is so wrong! We will take legal action! Beyond dodgy. Everyone: please be aware!

“DO NOT RENT FROM THIS COMPANY”

written by Christiangu234 on 18/07/2021

We rented a car for 5 days and we took great care of it. We even washed/vaccuumed it before returning. There were scratches before we took it from their location and now, we were charged 250Euros. DO NOT RENT FROM THIS COMPANY, THEY WILL TAKE ADDITIONAL CHARGES WITHOUT ANY EXPLANATIONS. Rent from TRURO or ENTERPRISE. Shame on this company!

“DO NOT USE”

written by Boy's Nameu179 on 14/01/2021

I wish i'd read these reviews before using this company. Like many others I am being charged for damages that I never made. 740 pounds for a scratch on the bumper. I know this was there before I took the car as I saw it and had a witness to the fact. The contract mentioned a scratch/scrape on the bumper, but they say that wasn't the scratch/scrape they were referring to. PLEASE DO NOT USE this company and fall into the same trap as so many others have.

“AVOID SIXT AT ALL COST”

written by PeteColes on 06/10/2020

Complete exploitation of customers. Fantasy damage reports billed direct, at extortionate prices. This is clearly a strategy at SIXT, reading similar experiences. Please don't make the same mistake as others, USE SOMEONE ELSE.

“AVOID”

written by Jonesy71 on 06/08/2020

AVOID, AVOID, AVOID. The van was in a horrible condition with over 20 faults including a smashed mirror. Shouldn’t have been in the road but I needed a van so had to take it. There was no air conditioning & on the hottest day of the year this made for one of the most uncomfortable journeys of my life. We were both ringing wet with sweat by the end. Who knew that no Air Conditioning was even a thing these days. Then filling the van up to return there was either a faulty fuel gauge or a dented tank so the gauge wouldn’t read full even when filled so the diesel was spilling out of the cap. SIXT have now charged me an extra £24.90 for fueling. As if they actually did take the time to go to the garage they wouldn’t have fitted any more fuel into it. Attempted to contact the branch but kept getting cut off, so emailed customer service twice & not had a reply. Pay the extra & go somewhere else. These are the cheapest for a reason.

“BEWARE EXCESS CHARGES ”

written by Coolcustomer5000 on 08/07/2020

Had a terrible experience of this company having rented a car from them for six weeks during the pandemic. They have form for opportunistically charging grotesque fees for damage which may or may not have occured during your trip - which is what happened to me. This is obviously to supplement profit. In my case the alleged damage was completely unnoticeable and now I'm getting charged over £800. A complete grind to have to dispute. But beware !

“Beware”

written by Franklinr366 on 07/07/2020

I rented a Luton van with a tail lift. When I returned the van they claimed I scratched the underside of the tail lift. This is the part of the vehicle that lays down on the ground so you can roll your loads onto it to lift it up to the truck. It is in regular contact with the ground. This is akin to them accusing me of getting a pebble stuck in the tire treads. They are now trying to charge me 1000 GBP for the "damage". I know of three other people that have similar situations. I will never use this company again, nor should you.

Asked by neilsmith1 on 17th March 2015 Report this content
Are Sixt just the broker or the actual car hire company? I hate brokers such as Argus or Rentalcars.

Thanks for answering this question.

We will email your when your answer is on the site

Answers (3)
Report this content Disgruntled201 Written on: 18/03/2015
I know what you mean. They are the actual rental company, not brokers.
Report this content Traceysb Written on: 18/03/2015
They are definitely a car rental company, you pick your rental car up from their SIXT depot/office, and I have always been able to select the exact vehicle I wanted.
Report this content Calsiam Written on: 18/03/2015
Sixt are the actual car hire company and just for your information, I had a pleasant and problem free experience with them.