Marbesol Car Hire Malaga Review

AidanBoyle's review of Marbesol Car Hire Malaga

“I returned my rental car to Marbesol today after a...”

Written on: 10/05/2018 by AidanBoyle (1 review written)

I returned my rental car to Marbesol today after a week. The car was returned in exactly the same condition it was received. Yet I was charged €420 for three marks which I could not see.
On renting the car on May 2nd, I was offered insurance cover costing €196 by the lady who served me . I told her that I had already got insurance . She then offered me a downgraded insurance costing €98. Again I declined stating that I already had arranged insurance. She then went to a supervisor. She came back stating that the next time I rented with Marbesol that I would need to take out their insurance. Even though I know this not to be the case I nodded as I wanted to speed up the transaction. I took the key and examined the car finding no obvious marks. The attendant agreed saying it was a new car. I remarked to my wife that the company did not seem too happy that I was not taking out their insurance.
On returning the car I was ushered by an attendant,to park the car in a particular place which I did. On opening my door I was careful not to hit the pillar beside where he had his work station. He noticed this and opened the door fully so that it rested against the pillar. I assumed he was doing this as a gesture of assistance. It did not seem to be done with the force necessary to leave a mark on the door, let alone three marks. I handed him my documentation . He then proceeded to examine the car thoroughly. He never spoke to me at any stage. Eventually he handed me the documents and told me to go to the office. I went to the office and handed my paperwork to an attendant . She again did not converse with me. Eventually after a lot of talking to various other co workers, the person I dealt with handed me a bill for €420 . I argued with her that I had not caused any damage to the car and therefore would not be paying . She told me it would be taken from the deposit. Again I insisted that I had not caused any damage to the car. She told me to speak with those upstairs. I went back upstairs and called the attendant to show me the damage to the car. He showed me the alleged damage which I could not see. My wife photographed the alleged damage. There is nothing visible in the photographs.
My wife attempted to photograph the attendant, for verification purposes. He got quite irate and threatened to call the police. I went back downstairs to remonstrate with the other attendant.
I told her that this wasn't right and all originated from nor taking out their collision waiver insurance. She told me to claim against my own insurance. I told her that if I had had an accident I would be making a claim but that this was just not right.
I did not have time to argue further as it was now 2.10. Our flight was at 3.40. We had arrived at Marbesol to return the car at 1.30 leaving us ample time. We did not expect to have had any delays or problems. It is impossible not to be cynical or suspicious about the whole series of events.
My wife had noticed that the next car returned after ours was dealt with completely differently; swiftly with a cursory examination.
I intend to complain to Marbesol, to the car rental regulator and to advise anyone I know never to rent a car from Marbesol.
I am a Principal of a primary school and am a member of the INTO which has a membership of 20,000 teachers. On our network I will inform fellow members of my experience and advise not to rent from Marbesol.
I have asked that Marbesol issue me a receipt for the work done to repair the alleged damage with contact details for the company carrying out the repairs. I am seeking verification that the €140 I am being charged for each "mark" can be shown to be paid to a recognised car repair company.
I also intend to seek compensation from Marbesol for the undue stress that this whole episode caused at the end of an enjoyable holiday.
The very least I expect is a written acknowledgement of the plan to extricate money from me unlawfully.
If this is not forthcoming I intend to pursue the matter with legal advice.
Finally in my role as a school principal I advocate good manners ,courtesy and positive communication at all times. None of this was apparent with any of the Marbesol employees with whom I dealt.
If I had been hit over the head with a baseball bat and robbed of 420 euro I would not feel as cheated as I do now. With the hundreds of similar stories out there about Marbesol I would question whether employees are following a company policy and if this is the case then this should be investigated criminally.

• May 2018

Date of hire (month/year)

• Malaga