Hertz Darlington, Nowhere near the cheapest hire

stevehopper2's review of Hertz Car Rental

“Hertz Darlington, Nowhere near the cheapest hire”

Written on: 19/08/2019 by stevehopper2 (6 reviews written)

Took a weeks hire on a small car as I had shopped around and Hertz came first for price(or so I thought).
6 days hire came in at £97.
The assistant asked if I was interested in taking "Super Cover" as I was being hired a new car and Super Cover would negate any costs for scratches.
"Whats it gonna cost me" says I.
"You'll pay a total of £149" said the sales assistant.
Now I weighed up the option and thought yep, I will go for that, it will save a fortune if anything goes wrong.
I walked out with my white slip (didn't need to check it as the sales assistant had been so helpful,) and drove away in the new car.
At end of hire I took the car back and found out that the £97 hire had not turned into a £149 hire, (plus the dreaded VAT of course), it had in fact turned into a final total of £295 inc VAT.
Obviously the "Super Cover" is pushed onto the unsuspecting renter because the sales assistant gets a nice little kick back from the insurance company as do Hertz.
For me, it's not just the money, it is the betrayal I felt from a company I had rented from a few times before.
If this is how they treat their regular customers on a normal no damage hire, then just imagine how they act should you be unfortunate enough to have an accident.
My advice, Go Elsewhere to hire a vehicle, Hertz may appear to be the cheapest but believe me, when you add on all the extra's and you endure the lack of appreciation from them, you will be better to steer clear.

• August 2019

Date of hire (month/year)

• Darlington, United Kingdom

Country & City of hire

• Excellent

Condition of vehicle

• Good

Choice of vehicles