I will never use GOLDCAR again

Olsoned254's review of GoldCar Rental - www.goldcar.es

“I will never use GOLDCAR again”

Written on: 25/09/2020 by Olsoned254 (1 review written)

I recommend you read all of this.

I booked and paid for a hire car, excluding cover for the insurance excess, from GOLDCAR.

I arrived to collect my car from Malaga Airport on 29th August and saw one of their desk agents.

He took my Credit Card to make a charge for the insurance excess and said it had been authorised. The amount was about Euro 1,450.

He then went to debit my account with the fuel deposit using the same card but, apparently, despite two attempts said that it had been declined. There was absolutely no reason why this should have happened but I offered another card.

The agent then told me that the two debits had to be on the same card and if this was not possible I would have to take their insurance, but he could not explain why. I did not realise at the time but GOLDCAR's cover costs the grossly exorbitant amount of about Euro 20 per day - that's the equivalent of about Euro 7,300 per annum!! To insure an excess of 1450!! I am an Insurance Broker by profession and know the likely actuarial cost and their charge amounts to extortion.

On my return to the UK I phoned my credit card company and was (now) not surprised to learn that no debits had even been requested by GOLDCAR (or any other company) on the day in question, let alone declined.

It is therefore obvious that the whole check-in procedure was a complete charade to extort money under pressure.

This is not just bad service or a misunderstanding.

I will never use GOLDCAR again and suggest you shouldn't either.

• 29/8/20

Date of hire (month/year)

• Malaga Airport

Country & City of hire

• Good

Condition of vehicle

• Good

Choice of vehicles

Johnc_Ireland's Comment

Written on: 29/09/2020

AVOID THEM LIKE THE PLAQUE UNLESS YOU LIKE PLAYING RUSSIAN ROULETTE WITH YOUR CREDIT CARD.

Gordon Westcott's Comment

Written on: 09/12/2020

In addition to two complaints to them via their website I have now emailed 4 times and phoned 3 times and have still not even received a response.
This is pre-planned theft followed by astonishingly arrogant behaviour.
I will not let them get away with this and thousands of other customers (Google 'Goldcar Complaints' or similar) and am trying to get the Local Police or Guardia Civil involved as well as Junta de Andalucia and maybe even a solicitor to pursue a class action.
Goldcar drag everything Spanish into disrepute.