Another ploy to charge customers for excess insurance!

Coffey430's review of GoldCar Rental - www.goldcar.es

“Another ploy to charge customers for excess insurance! ”

Written on: 12/01/2019 by Coffey430 (1 review written)

I had used Goldcar previously and actually had no problems so on a return trip less then a week later I was disappointed that the whole experience was just awful! Firstly I can’t say the customer service was welcoming to start with and the main issue arised after they did an Experian ID check (apparently a new thing) which I passed although on my record it came up with a caution and they therefore said I couldn’t take the car without then paying £165 extra for their excess insurance. Despite a lengthy phone call to rental cars (who said they couldn’t help me) I had no other choice but to pay the extra amount. They then didn’t have a car in the category I paid for and so they tried to palm me off with a smaller 2/3 door one. I argued this and only when another member of staff was more sympathetic to my situation gave me an upgrade. During the rental and on return all was ok but I must admit I was slightly worried they were going to charge me for the upgrade like other people have mentioned in their reviews. I did also call Experian during the car rental and they advised me they do not put sanctions or cautions on people the service they provide is simply to check Identity so feel it is just another ploy to get customers to pay the excess insurance. After this experience I will certainly not use Goldcar car hire and feel they should work abit more on their customer service and not scheming more people out of money!!

• 12/2018

Date of hire (month/year)

• Gatwick Airport, UK

Country & City of hire

• Good

Condition of vehicle

• Average

Choice of vehicles