Gold car August 2018

98Cunningham's review of GoldCar Rental - www.goldcar.es

“Gold car August 2018”

Written on: 10/08/2018 by 98Cunningham (1 review written)

August 2018. Gold Car Malaga

I booked a car via Holiday Autos for a long weekend. Good price around £45

I have my own damage refund insurance that I take out annually. It costs less than £50.

Holiday autos offer reasonable damage refund insurance as part of the booking fees if you wanted it.

On arrival at Gold Car Malaga Airport I presented all my documents; passport, credit card, driving licence and copy of the contract with Holiday Autos,which clearly stated that a retention of €1100 would be held from the credit card and refunded on return of the car.

The lady at check in said that I would be required to pay €250 for additional insurance. I explained that I had the correct additional insurance but she said that it was not valid “for my car”. I would not be given the hire car unless I paid their insurance fee.
I spent over 30 minutes arguing with her that I was prepared to pay the €1100 deposit on damage waiver which was what I contracted. This deposit secured the car and any damage is then set off against this deposit. In such an event my damage refund insurance would separately cover damages cost if it was incurred.

She quite forcefully demanded that I pay the insurance charge or I would not be given the car. She said that my insurance would not cover her car and that if there was any damage then I would have to pay the full cost of a new car (ridiculous)

I stood my ground and eventually she very reluctantly issued paperwork for the hire car.

None of it done with good grace. In fact she was extremely unpleasant.

So, this is a warning. They obviously make money and even may pay staff on a commission to sell this expensive insurance. That makes the check in staff aggressive and hard to argue with.

When she eventually granted me the car she said that it was me who had asked for her insurance. She had to print a new contract that was then signed.

She said to me that even a tiny scratch or dent would mean that I would lose my €1100 deposit

When I went to collect the car I asked one of the vehicle checkers what they consider a chargeable scratch. He said that if it’s more than 5cm they record it. ( meaning that it would be charged as a repair against the deposit).

• August 2018

Date of hire (month/year)

• Malaga

Country & City of hire

• Excellent

Condition of vehicle

• Good

Choice of vehicles