ECCR – do not provide them your credit card

Gilaad's review of East Coast Car Rentals www.eastcoastcarrentals.com.au

“ECCR – do not provide them your credit card”

Written on: 04/07/2020 by Gilaad (1 review written)

Just a note to let people know: Do not get close to “East Coast Car Rentals”, They are cheap, but take much more from your credit card, without your permission, against your permission, as they already have the credit card number.
I rented a car in Cairns, Australia on February 4, 2020, their insurance proposal seems way too high, so I did not buy it. But allowed them to freeze 1000 AU$ from my credit card (I fully agreed and gave my card to use) and I drove away.

I did scratch the car and stated so, when I returned the car (February 9, 2020), stating I will pay all the damages.

The elderly representative woman informed me that they will first charge me, before knowing the damage cost, 4,400 AU$, because, as the elderly representative woman stated “You should have bought our insurance” - meaning punishing me for not contributing to their profits. Of course, I CLEARLY STATED at that moment that I DO NOT ALLOW THEM to withdraw any money from my account (except to froze 1000 AU$), wait for the damage cost and I will cover it in full, even if it will be more than 4,400 AU$ as I felt obligated, for not buying insurance.

Two days later they reported that the TOTAL damage was 706.66 AU$, high cost for a scratch but seems OK.

When I got back home (a month later), I found out that they did withdraw 4,400 AU$, against my permission. I was waiting for them to return the rest of my money (4,400 AU$ - 706.66 AU$), but for 3 months they neglected to return it, so I sent them a few mails, to send the rest my money, and requested compensation for this violent act for the exchange rate from AU$ to US$ and to Israel Shekel and back to AU$, interest for my money laying in their bank for 3 months and for wasting my time, to get my money back. They did not agree to pay ANY compensation. I am now suing them for all these items, and they will pay for the local lawyer too and for my trip to Australia, to the courthouse.

My lesson from this “East Coast Car Rentals” is: cheap is eventually VERY EXPENSIVE, especially if they have your credit card number, and need unlawful profits to cover their “cheap” cost. Cheap company, “East Coast Car Rentals”, ECCR.

• February 4, 2020

Date of hire (month/year)

• Cairns, AU