Total RIP-OFF

111Graham's review of Discover Cars - www.discovercars.com

“Total RIP-OFF”

Written on: 20/04/2021 by 111Graham (1 review written)

We’ve been renting cars for our trips for many years, but never we’ve been faced with such a situation as when we rented a car from DiscoverCars in Florida. Our Platinum American Express, as well as other credit cards, cover car rental insurance and for all other car rental businesses it was always enough, but not for Discover Cars.

As soon as I reserved a car, I was bombarded with emails regarding insurance coverage. I asked my husband to contact the rental company & figure out what was going on. He contacted DiscoverCars & talked to someone. She inquired regarding our private car insurance coverage for Supplemental Liability Insurance (SLI), Collision Damage Waiver (CDW), Theft Waiver (THW) & Third-Party Liability (TPL) which we get through Costco, & said that all we needed to do was to bring a copy of our insurance coverages, which we did. This was never required for Avis, Hertz, AutoEurope, etc.

We arrived at Fort Lauderdale & were picked up by Miguel. He brought us to a tiny place called Optimo Rent & announced that we have to pay another $324 to cover the insurance. I showed him a copy of American Express car rental coverage & a copy of our private insurance coverage, told him that my husband talked to the main office, but he announces that the company that Costco cars insurance was not good enough & without us paying extra money for insurance he would not let us rent a car. When I asked to talk to a manager, he rudely said that he was one.

IT was late in the evening, we were tired from traveling, & had another hour and a halt to drive to our hotel. We had no other choice, & Miguel proceeded to charge us another $324.26 even though the DiscoverCars website said that full insurance coverage was $7.69 a day. We rented a car for 9 days; the total should have been $69.21.

After that, we were given a dirty & bit up car (I took lots of photos).

Overall, we would spend less money, get a better car & had better service with Avis or Hertz.

• April 2, 2021

Date of hire (month/year)

• Fort Lauderdale, FL