Avoid at all costs. Worst car rental ever.

Hoover1980's review of Centauro Rent A Car

“Avoid at all costs. Worst car rental ever.”

Written on: 04/10/2021 by Hoover1980 (1 review written)

The WORST car rental I've had in many years of driving and travelling. They charged my card post rental without any paperwork or correspondence with any justification or evidence as to why. Contacted customer service for an explanation and got an automated message that they will reply in 7-10 days. Quick to charge me but slow to respond. You as a tourist are just a target for any extra charges they can extract without any explanation or warning because of the hold on your card details. Save yourself the hassle and expense by choosing a reputable rental car company based at the airport instead.
***
Centauro is not based at the airport so you need to wait for the shuttle. It's difficult to know where to wait. Finally found the spot only to have the Centauro shuttle drive past without stopping to check for customers. So we had to wait another shuttle and try call again. Explanation given for not collecting us: the driver was anxious. Rather send someone competent to collect customers then.
Then their payment machine wouldn't take my card. Very convenient for them that I had to use their machine - no alternative or other solution offered to help me - and it wouldn't accept my credit card which would have given me some protection against their unjustified extraction of funds post rental. I was told my card was declined because of me not having funds in the bank. Not true and just plain rude.
Finally got out of there with the car hours after arrival having to pay a deposit, offered overpriced insurance and warned they get a lot of tourist complaints and claims without it.
***
I returned the car on time and refuelled, having driven carefully without incident. Interesting how they immediately pulled out a torch and found a scratch they accused me of making on the car. This car inspection was not something I noticed them do with a male customer returning a car with his partner at the same time as me.
***
Never ever have I been so badly treated by a car rental company. There are a lot of warning signs here that this company is set up to extract extra money from tourists at every opportunity and without proper process or justification. It's not right and it needs to stop.
***
DO NOT USE THEM. Rather use a reputable company like Europcar or Avis and pay extra for better service and proper recourse for issues.
Remember to document absolutely everything. Take photos in daylight. Inspect everything and refuse to accept the car if things don't line up. Pay using a credit card and don't take the car if you can't pay using a credit card. Do not be pressured into paying for expensive insurance or extras because you are told there are lots of claims and complaints. Pay attention to all these red flags. Question extra payments you're not anticipating. Don't settle for bad service and bogus charges that are not properly documented. Extracting funds without due process or paperwork and car companies that operate in this way need to be held to account. Contact customer service. Phone your bank. Write reviews. Call them out on Twitter. Get in touch with consumer protection bodies if necessary. Don't get taken for a ride.

• September 2021

Date of hire (month/year)

• Madeira, Portugal

Country & City of hire

• Average

Condition of vehicle

• Average

Choice of vehicles

Centauro_Rent_A_Car's Comment

Written on: 05/11/2021

Hi, thank you for taking the time in leaving your feedback. We try our best to attend to our customers in the most professional way possible, we are sorry to hear this. Please send us your booking reference number via DM and we will check what happened. Kind regards

Sarah_Mac's Comment

Written on: 06/11/2021

I already did that and honestly don't know why I bothered. Your company is rotten to the very core. Stop pretending you care about customers with this cut-and-paste message on all negative reviews. It's completely insincere. All you want is our money and you couldn't care less about people.