I Lost a lot of money with ArgusCarHire

Marcomurra's review of Argus Car Hire - www.arguscarhire.com

“I Lost a lot of money with ArgusCarHire”

Written on: 15/07/2020 by Marcomurra (1 review written)

On their website ArgusCarHire states: “hire a car with confidence”. Now believe me the last thing you can do is to trust this company. I had a terrible experience with them this summer 2020 and I lost a lot of my money (around 1000 euro) due to their poor management. Now I will tell you what happened and what my recommendation to avoid my hard landing.
I booked a car for Cagliari in Sardegna for me and my family for our vacation on ArgusCarHire website. So far so good they do have good deals like other competitors. Two weeks before my trip they wrote me an email telling me that the car provider Goldcar could not honor the contract and Europcar would take over as the car provider. I was a little concerned but they reassure me that Europcar would now honor the contract and rent me a car at the agreed rate. Eventually 24 hours before the pick-up date (24 hours before) ArgusCarHire wrote me an email (an email not even called me) notifying me that my contract was canceled and there was no car for me due to the covid19 pandemia (please note the force majeure they use is just an excuse to hide poor management). I was shocked and I called them straight away. Bottom line the cheapest rate now to rent a car for two weeks was almost six times higher than my initial rate. I was left with no choise. I admit I was really disappointed because I found out the could tell me this issue weeks in advance and I could get a better deal than look up for a car 24 hours before the trip with wife and kids.
My recommendation if you do not want to run the risk to end up in my same situation receiving an email 24 hours before your vacation with a cancellation notice is to look for the best rates and then rent your car directly on the car provider’s website. Just in case There is something more behind this story that I do not know in the next days I will report this issue to Carabinieri and Federconsumatori in Italy for them to better investigate.

• July 2020

Date of hire (month/year)

• Italy Cagliari airport