Please read this before you use 123 reg

AdriannaBenton's review of 123-Reg - www.123-reg.co.uk

“Please read this before you use 123 reg”

Written on: 07/03/2016 by AdriannaBenton (1 review written)

I signed up with 123 reg shared hosting around three months ago and I would like to share my objective experience of the company.
I am a freelance web designer and I hosted my own business site and 8 of my portfolio sites with this company. The sales team, as you would expect, are very friendly and helpful but i'm afraid the good standard of service stops at the point of sale. A constant problem for me was slow website loading times - sometimes my sites would take in excess of 20 seconds to load and often they wouldn't load at all (my websites use all of the recognized optimization techniques).
The customer support is nothing short of appalling; very few of the customer support team have much technical knowledge, I was blatantly given the wrong information three times (costing me time and money) - yet oddly I seemed to get an arrogant, cocky and condescending attitude from them. I called around ten times during my time with 123 reg and I spoke to one good advisor. When I used their live chat facility I had to wait nearly ten minutes for each message to be answered in the conversation. Support tickets take up to four days to be answered and even then I just got basic responses as they just don’t understand/appreciate the question.
They offer 30 day free trial of a so called SEO optimization package. I thought I would sign up as nothing to lose and always after good advice. The initial scan of my website claimed I had no contact form. This claim came as surprise to myself (the web programmer) and the potential clients that use it! According to the scan my so called SEO score was very low. I know this is not a true representation as I have good knowledge of SEO techniques and factors that are likely to influence organic SEO performance in the major search engines. I find it likely that this scan deliberately doesn't give a good indication of your sites potential SEO performance as 123 reg want you to subscribe to their 'optimization package'.. A scan of your website can only give you half a picture anyway - real SEO is about long term strategy and I'm afraid the major search engines are constantly changing their parameters.
I finally moved my sites over to a hosting package with another company (a similar price and also shared servers) and my websites perform really well. I had a problem with this hosting company at first but they were on the ball and quick to put it right. Unfortunately, things do go wrong in this world. No system, especially an IT system, is infallible. It's how things are put right that counts - this is true measure of a company's performance.
The last three months has been a sharp learning curve for me. Please consider your options carefully when choosing a hosting company - especially if you are hosting business websites. Ask and look for actual objective performance data before you sign up - I'm afraid a few reviews saying "great service" and “reliable” really doesn’t cut it.

123Regonline's Comment

Written on: 11/03/2016

Hello,

My name is Nerys and I work here at 123-reg. Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. All feedback we receive is really important to us.

I am really sorry to hear that you experienced some problems with using our products. We really want all of our services to meet our customers' needs. To help us understand the problems you experienced with your hosting package I would like to be able to look into your account in some more detail. If you can provide a ticket ID or domain name you had with 123-reg I can get in touch with you and start finding out what has happened.

In regards to the Search Engine Optimiser we offer, I would like to assure you that the tool, and free trial, is offered in good faith. Within the results you are shown for the scan you will receive scan results specific to your particular website and also some general advice, which is applicable to everyone in their SEO efforts. The contact form is one of these general pieces of advice, which is why you were shown this. As a user of the product it would be great if we could have some further discussions with you about your experience. If you do wish to provide some details I will be touch with you.

Kind Regards,