Money for nothing

Lindsey433's review of Sainsburys Travel Insurance

“Money for nothing”

Written on: 13/06/2019 by Lindsey433 (1 review written)

I purchased a single trip insurance to Germany at the same time I arranged the holiday. The holiday was cancelled by the company due to lack of numbers, the company refunding the money paid so far, fine. I claimed on the insurance just to get the premium back and was told 'due to it being outside of the 14 day cooling off period they would not be refunding the premium'. This is blatant money for nothing when I said as much they said they had been providing cancellation cover since the booking was made. I would not recommend Sainsburys Bank Travel Insurance to anyone.

• december 2018

Date of Insurance (month/year)

• Single trip insurance

Type of Insurance

• Unsuccessful

Was your claim successful?

• Unfairly

Were you treated fairly?

Lynncoco's Comment

Written on: 22/06/2020

Same has happened to me, £242.23 out of pocket for insurance I purchased in September 19 to cover a holiday to USA in June 20. Travel insurance no longer needed. Sainsbury's refusing to refund any of my money.
Their response below :

I would like to highlight that we have provided you with cancellation cover since 27th September 2019 when you purchased your policy. I am unable to honour your request to provide you with a full refund outside of your cooling off period.

I note that you are not making a claim for your holiday. Had this not been the case then a claim for irrecoverable unused expenses could have been considered under the Cancellation section of the policy. Insurance is there to protect against unforeseen risk, if it is not used or claimed against, it does not mean that it should be refunded.

I appreciate that this will not be the outcome you would have liked but I also trust you can understand how I have come to this decision. You are able to cancel the cover, but we cannot issue a refund.