Seemed great until I had to make a claim

YusufMelton's review of CoverForYou - www.coverforyou.com

“Seemed great until I had to make a claim ”

Written on: 23/07/2020 by YusufMelton (1 review written)

My holiday was cancelled in March due to the COVID epidemic. In the event of a claim, you are referred to the intermediary insurance company and they are the CEGA Group.

CEGA then ask AXA (the underwriters) to look at your case and they will decide if they will allow a claim to be paid out, or not (this is the normal procedure).

in short, I booked a holiday with some friends this year, but I am unable to go with them at the same time next year.

The hotel did offer me a voucher for next year in 2021 (to use within a limited 2 month period), and Cover For You, CEGA and AXA say that I have been fully reimbursed because of the offer of the voucher. They do not care that I would have to go on holiday alone. A Senior Claims Adviser said that as per AXA's decision they class a voucher as full compensation. I explained to Cover For You and the CEGA Group why I did not want to accept a voucher, they said that they sympathised, then told me there was nothing they could do and that I could still use the voucher. I was advised by the senior claims adviser to try going though my tour operator/travel agent to seek compensation if I was not happy with the voucher. This was really unhelpful, as she knew I had booked the hotel directly.

After writing back to appeal the decision, my case was reviewed and a final decision was
made by a customer service representative at CEGA. Her response was to reiterate
that the voucher is classed by CEGA as full compensation...case closed.

It is unfair to expect someone to holiday alone, especially at the moment. I also explained that I was a nurse caring for COVID patients and know that a second wave of the virus is a real possibility in the winter season. I frankly do not not want to take the risk of booking any holiday at the moment- particularly on my own. Nor do I trust or have confidence that CEGA would help me if I had to cancel the holiday for a second time, if I was stranded alone etc. I would rather leave it until I feel safe to do so and can go with my friends. I also explained that caring for COVID patients makes me a higher risk of spreading the virus to other people etc, This voucher really is totally unsuitable for my personal situation, yet CEGA have shown zero compassion, care or understanding. I actually cannot believe or grasp how totally heartless they have all been. I am also really disappointed in Cover For You too, as they have simply backed CEGA's position and at no point have they communicated with me that they will try to help.

I feel duped and am highly disappointed. I have now taken the matter to the Financial Ombudsman Service.

I will never use or trust the CEGA Group or Cover For You ever again.

Please check out CEGA Group on Trust Pilot before considering purchasing your travel insurance through Travel For You, because this is who you will be insured with! They have a 76% bad rating and 5% poor...which says it all.

• Annual insurance

Type of Insurance

• Unsuccessful

Was your claim successful?

• Unfairly