Royal Bank of Scotland Home Insurance Reviews

Royal Bank of Scotland Home Insurance
1.2

Royal Bank of Scotland Home Insurance - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Royal Bank of Scotland Home Insurance

“Never go with this insurance company ”

written by Logdgdzd05 on 29/03/2023

They will do everything in their power to make sure they don’t have to pay you out the full money for the job! They are not there to help they are there to make Everything as difficult as possible! They don’t take In to consideration of you have kids and how much stress they put You under! They have one contractor they can use that are so Busy they can’t actually do the work for you! When you find someone in the trade to fix the problem for you They tell you it’s too expensive but don’t give you alternative! I was offered a shower pod for garden that faces onto flats! I can have a shower in a hotel yet I don’t drive and have 2 young kids!

“Absolutely terrible ”

written by Doctor2022 on 20/11/2022

We took the RBS annual travel insurance with our black account. Our daughter needed an emergency appendectomy in Bali. The emergency surgery was delayed due to the underwriter assigned by the RBS insurance having gone into liquidation without the RBS insurance being aware! Resulting in the insurance company not paying out. We were forced to pay for the surgery ourselves and all of the necessary related expenses. This was in early September and we still have had no refund, or apology, the correspondence has been disgustingly poor. We have spent hours on the telephone trying to speak to a member of the team but the general waiting time is 40 minutes! with no answers! We would definitely not recommend you take this insurance out if you wish to protect a loved one whilst travelling. Dr & Nurse Parents

“Claims service was terrible”

written by on 26/09/2020

Looks like they have outsourced claims processing (at least for stolen bikes) to an outfit called Direct Validation Services. Tried to call DVS several times and after 20-30 mins on the line didn't get through. Arranged two call back appointments - DVS didn't not contact me at either time. Eventually got through at 1 minute after opening time on a Saturday, spoke to two different people during the course of the call and the tone of each person was openly hostile. Will now be looking for a new insurer. Do wonder whether RBS realise how bad the customer experience is (or perhaps they no longer care)

“DISGRACEFUL DO NOT PLEASE USE THIS COMPANY”

written by carolynemableson on 01/12/2017

We had the premier cover when we were flooded with an underground pipe over Xmas. We were treat absolutely disgraceful, everything was challenged in a very, very rude manner. We had no power whatsoever for 5 days over xmas, no offer of alternate accommodation even though it was supposedly included. Would take pages to include all the complaints we had. But in a nutshell AVOID THIS COMPANY.

“Complete Nightmare”

written by Delaneybl115 on 03/11/2017

I have never come across such a poor insurance company , Cunnigham Lindsay had been appointed by RBS after my In laws had a roof collapse . They had been insured for 25 years without a claim , a year later still not settled . I will never use RBS again

“Don't trust RBS Elite Insurance.”

written by Skyla124 on 28/06/2017

One clain in over 20 years with RBS Elite Home Insurance, a leak in the bathroom, extensive damage! New Bath, flooring, and other work. Tried to get me to take a cash settlement of £840, less excess of £350 = £490 to do a bathroom. What a joke. Suffice to say I am no longer with RBS!

“Dire service!!!! Called first thing in morning to get...”

written by nuSelf346 on 22/08/2016

Dire service!!!! Called first thing in morning to get help as water was flooding in through roof...RBS insurance called back at 4.50pm to say they could not help due to my location, and to get my own tradesman. I live on the mainland and was never told when I took the policy out 12 years ago that my location could be a problem. Quick to take policy payments but no help when really needed....have NEVER claimed before AND WILL BE CANCELLING POLICY ASAP.

“RBS thhe worst attitude towords customer I have ever come”

written by DayanaPhillips66 on 21/02/2015

Happy to take our monthly payments. But when it comes to making a claim they simply are not interesrted. Their assessment process is long winded and time consuming and they really dont want to play ball when it comes to making a full and fair payment. RBS are a terrible company with a terrible attitude. Unwilling to listen to your point of view and treat you as if you are stupid. At times when trying to make a claim on our my insurace due to contents of our home being stolen it has felt as if Im doing all the work and they are doing nothing as if Im working for RBS. I would not recommend Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS) to anyone, particulary poor customer service and no regard for people going through a very diffcult time having had their home broken into a items stolen. At times it has felt as is they just don't beleive me with the under tone that makes the suggestion that im a criminal.

“Elusive !”

written by on 12/08/2014

I changed my buildings cover to RBS after years of being with L&G , what a mistake , months later what I percieve is a simple claim is still not resolved. It is impossible to get through on the phone , then the admin team have the audacity to write and say that they have not been able to contact me by phone !! When I did get to talk to someone "the floods" are still being blamed for the back log. When the phone line rings it clears before it gets answered. The rep in branch is quick to sell you the policy but in branch they don't want to help when you can't make contact - lesson learnt , stick with what you know !

“Mis sold and hs takien 4 months to claim, and still...”

written by 480Duckworth on 26/04/2014

I asked for a rental flat insurance, they sold me the wrong one and reassured me it was right. Then when I claimed after many months they agreed they had missold. The repair cost was agreed, and it is now two months I am still waiting for the payment of the agreed sum to be sent to me. The call centre is one of the worsr, it always claims they are so busy and put you on hold for average of 70 minutes playing music. I have tried it all times between 9 am and 5 pm, it is the same delay. At the moment I am listening to music for the last 32 minutes and typing this while waiting.

“Totally useless if you have a claim.”

written by Disillusionedohyeah on 14/03/2014

I put in a claim at the end of January. They apparently didn't receive the invoice so faxed a copy and have since then spent hours on hold on the phone (countless lunch hours) and can't even get to speak to someone due to a high volume of calls. Downside to cordless phones you can only be on hold for so long before they go flat!! - back to square one!!! next week is going to consist of sitting in the bank managers office and writing to newspapers. Totally understand they busy with below the border flooding but there are a lot of unemployed people that 'own' RBS that they could take on for a few months to clear the backlog!! will not recommend to anyone unless I really dislike them!!

“RBS Worst Home Insurance Ever”

written by Laci413 on 11/03/2014

After my pursuaded me to take out home insurance with them i said one of the most important things is that i have good cover on computers, laptops and PDA`s as everyone in my house has them, they said they only cover upto £750 so i would have to pay extra to raise my protection to £3000, I said i was happy to do this and that it would cover accidental damage and breakdown, well unfortunately one laptop died and they replaced it, but a second one died and they took this one away and sent it to an expert company called (Direct Validation Services), there report was outstanding for a company who where experts, they said to the insurance "we dont know whats wrong with it" So the insurance refused to replace or repair it and now am left with a laptop which was covered by paying extra which is useless. There customer service is absolute below poor it takes them 45 minuites to answer the phone, they do a calll back service to which they called me back three times and only rang once therefore costing me a fortune to call them again and again waiting for 45 minuites or more each time. RBS Insurance ?, RBS Rip Off More Like It.

“first claim disaster”

written by seasidesuzy on 27/02/2014

Almost 12 years ago I was persuaded by my friendly RBS manager to change from my home insurance company (from whom I had never claimed & had 70% no claim discount) to the RBS with the promise of a much better deal & service). I changed to RBS home & contents policy and bitterly regret my decision. Widowed & in poor health every penny counts & I thought I was in safe hands with my bank. In Feb/March 2005 my newly refurbished home (major works, New roof, New floors, completely new interior & the whole stone built Victorian flat decorated to the highest possible standard) was damaged by messages from the upstairs flat. New floor coverings, kitchen etc suffered water ingress damage from the flat above mine - it is a 2-storey building & 2 rooms & my large & spacious entrance hall, which has beautiful decorative cornicing, were badly affected. My decorator sounded the alarm when he noticed damp on a newly decorated wall.All my paint colours were chosen from a traditional Victorian range & were applied to walls that had been newly replastered, dados added, followed by good quality lining paper; the decorator was in my home for 8 weeks and did a superb job.I immediately telephoned one of the owners who was less than helpful & then rang RBS insurance to start the claims procedure. Bear in mind this was my FIRST EVER claim & I had dozens of photographs, witnesses etc & a loss adjuster visited & took his own photographs too. Now I presumed that given the obviousness of the water ingress- which was clear described in damage reports -the RBS insurance company would claim against the policy of the upstairs property owners? Or am I wrong? When I noticed on my bank statement that my policy premium had practically DOUBLED I was informed by my bank manager that it would revert to the normal rate AND all overpayments refunded once they had recovered costs from owners upstairs. Recovery seems to never have been attempted from the owners (& on our Deeds it clearly states that property must be insured) and 5 years on I am still paying the inflated premium & also my claim has NEVER been fully settled. After numerous letters, phone calls to RBS/Insurance claims departments I have been informed that they will not help me & my only course of action is to contact the Financial Ombudsmen. All this has been a nightmare for me and has made me ill with worry. How on earth, as the innocent party, can I be treated like this? I could really do with help to resolve this because I am suffering financially because of someone else's negligence. The attitude of the bank and their insurance company has been appalling with excuses, lack of answers and they been guilty of gross negligence as far as I am concerned.

“Can,t get through on phone to claims department”

written by on 15/01/2014

I had storm damage managed to phone and get someone to tell me what to do at RBS claims department... Got the job done and paid the roofer what I owed him. I sent my letter with receipt of job finished for roof to RBS >>>Ten working days they said I would get my money back no problem... I am still waiting... What really gets me ANGRY, is I have spent a fortune phoning them and cant get through to speak to anyone about the matter... Does anyone actually work in these call centres... Yes there will be an overload of people phoning them due to the bad weather so like any other business don't they employ extra temporary staff to cover the work load!!!! I am very angry and definitely wont be renewing my policy with them this year I have been with them for years too..

“Avoid Avoid Avoid ”

written by on 29/04/2013

RBS Home Insurance is an utter waste of time. really really regret having a policy with them. Had a leak in the bathroom, initially the response was good, on the phone at least. The problems began when they started repairing damp. They use multiple firms to fix the problem but mainly Rainbow who employ mostly children and FFDR. Call centre is all words no action, we are 3 months plus into the claim and things are worse than when we phoned them. They don't give a toss, looking forward to seeing them in court.

“SHOCKING”

written by markcolby66 on 22/01/2013

my boiler broke down on saturdsay,we called our normal guy who services our boiler to make sure it was not a simple fault,but it was the pcb board,so then rang the tbs for their homecare cover,baring in mind it was freezing cold,five inches of snow outside and having a complete downstairs of tiled floor it was pretty cold,our guy also ordered a pcb board and left at the plumb centre near us in case they did not have one on board,although they did say they would email company to let them no they needed one,no phone call saturday,rang back sunday,no phone call sunday,rang back by this time getting really annoyed and we did actually get a phone call from home care saying they would call tuesday morning which they did with no pcb board and they can not use the pcb board from our local plumb centre as they have no account,its now mid morning tuesday and still has not been resolved,absolutely shocking!

“Awful, awful, awful...”

written by on 14/05/2012

Have been an RBS customer for several years and it was only when we needed to make made a claim when our gable end collapsed due to storm damage (not an insignificant amount!) that we realised how incompetent, useless and unhelpful they are. The night it happened we couldn't get through to anyone. Once we got through the loss adjuster appointed by RBS decided it wasn't a storm and stopped all work and cleared off on a Friday afternoon without telling us leaving us to sort EVERYTHING ourselves. We complained to RBS, nothing, we appointed our own loss assesor... nothing. Eventually we took the case to it's inevitable conclusion - the Insurance Ombudsman. Despite RBS going as slow as possible and dragging their feet at every opportunity, the initial adjudication came back in our favour... great we thought we've got there... NO! RBS contested the ruling so it had to go to an Ombudsman for a final ruling - a delaying tactic if ever there was. So after 2 years and 4 months of perserverance the Ombudsman has - surprise, surprise - ruled in our favour. Question if RBS just decline all claims of this size so that the customer has to sort everything out, go through the stress of it all and then they might get lucky and not have to pay!? To date we have received our "compensation" but still no sign of the payment for fixing the house!! Am changing as soon as I can and NEVER again...

Anotherrbsinsurance_Scam's Comment

Written on: 26/09/2012

The secret is in in he name....
Definition of loss adjuster - someone employed as an agent acting for an insurer who "adjusts the loss" down in the insurers favour.

“Shocking customer service. DO NOT BUY INSURANCE FROM RBS.”

written by harryajames on 28/02/2012

Tried to contact RBS by phone in connection with roof damage sustained during the bad storm at the beginning of the year. Kept trying for three weeks to no avail. On one occasion tried for four hours. Changed insurance and am now paying less than half for the same cover.

“RBS Insurance WARNING”

written by dubbers on 11/01/2012

Dubbers's Response to dubbers's Review

Written on: 11/01/2012

Please do not use RBS for insurance they are dreadful, they are not an insurance company as I understand the term to mean, everything is farmed out to agents, if you complain you have to go through their "customer relations" who have no clue how to relate to customers and in my case are nothing to do with the actual claims department so therefore cannot address my complaint fully and seem to think sending an ad hoc cheque for 20 quid will resolve the issue ahem no what i want is my insurance claim to which I am entitled through the policy I have paid for resolved. I am facing the prospect of a long and arduous journey in my current claim if the past 3 weeks are anything to go by and have already contacted the ombudsman and FSA to ensure my concerns are recorded. I would not wish them on my worst enemy and if my review can help ensure that even one person avoids this company then it is worthwhile. I will be asking detailed questions of any future insurer on how they deal with claims and I will also look very carefully at their complaints statistics. They have failed for me in every aspect of my current claim from assessing right through to their customer "service" if they fail on basic communication then they are unlikely to deliver on all the rest of their promises

Modaud's reply to Dubbers's Comment

Written on: 09/11/2013

I agree, going through a total loss claim right now. Sent my complaint to their 'Claims Customer Relations Team' and they admitted to me they haven't even looked at it. They leave it all up to a 3rd party loss adjusters. AVOID THEM AT ALL COST. Bear in mind they are underwritten by DIRECT LINE. Even RBS are trying to get rid of them by selling this TOXIC insurance underwriters.

“Robbing b'stards, DO NOT USE RBS!!!”

written by on 15/09/2011

We recently had to make a claim for a laptop that was stolen along with all the accessories such as external HDD etc. When we first made the claim (and after providing them with the full crime ref no) they simply said we cannot cover it as we do not have original packaging or reciept!!! this laptop was 18 months old, of course we do not have the original packaging or reciept, luckily i was able to log onto my amazon account and retrieve the order conformation. When i originally ordered the laptop i also ordered ram and hdd upgrades, but would not cover them as we could not prove they were in the laptop. they told us it would take 4-6 weeks to provide a voucher to get a new one so i told them we would like a cash settlement as i will need to go out and buy a new one the next day it was needed for work, they agreed and said ok. 2 days later they called with an offer of £50 !!!!! WTF! they said the claim only had down for a case and mouse!!!! are they completly stupid! anyway after correcting that, they came back to us and said we will send you a voucher in 4-6 weeks AGAIN!! i told them we had alredy settled on a cash payment which they then told us they didn't do. I contacted the head office and was informed by an unhappy employee that they do cash settlements but the customer service teams only get commision when they send out vouchers not cash settlements. with this i contacted them back only to be eventually told they can only offer £200 for this £800 laptop as that is the value they feel its worth. Like for Like really!!!!? in the process of sending a letter to obudsman over these con artists, steer well clear!!! what a joke!!!!