Swinton Home Insurance Reviews

Swinton Home Insurance - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Swinton Home Insurance

Swinton Home Insurance

“Swinton Gold = no hot water or heating for 10 days ”

Written on: 23/08/2018 by MissJoules (1 review written)

Swinton Home Emergency Insurance - no hot water or heating for 10 days despite having GOLD cover! Very poor service, boiler broken so no hot water, no heating & 2 children & a baby at home! I have Gold cover but it means nothing. Swinton offered up to £200 so we could stay in a hotel until they fix it. £200 won't pay for 10 days for 4 of us & it's not the preferred option. Boiler needs a new printed circuit board which is readily available online from numerous reputable suppliers with… Read Full Review

“DO NOT USE ”

Written on: 24/06/2016 by riMcGarry64 (1 review written)

this is a bad company to swindle people. my concern is that are they allowed to do this. i have home insurance with them. i had a broken roof tile which caused a leak in one of my bedroom. the surveyor came and said the felt is the problem. did not inspect the roof', just glimpsed from the entrance of the loft and said i know what the problem is. this is my second experience with this attitude of looking for a get away clause. just do not buy this insurance- unreliable and disapointing… Read Full Review

“this company is terrible I my self am insured through...”

Written on: 13/06/2016 by Aliyahz169 (1 review written)

this company is terrible I my self am insured through open and direct somehow someone with a policy from this company managed to use my bank details and help themselves with 73pounds of my money I thought policy and company holders like this had to ask security questions before making a transaction to make sure they are legit well somehow this isn't the case I contacted them to speak about the matter they told me they've never heard of me I rang my bank and my money has been refunded but… Read Full Review

“AVOID”

Written on: 12/09/2015

We had been with Swinton for a year and missed our renewal date, at which point they wanted to charge us more than double what we had been paying. Spoke to numerous people, kept being put on hold, never rang back when they said they would. Trying to renew with them took nearly a whole day. Finally found a much more reasonable quote with the Post Office which took less than half an hour. Avoid Swinton like the plague. Unprofessional, unhelpful, untrained and generally rubbish!… Read Full Review

“SHOCKING CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!”

Written on: 29/07/2015 by GvAGirl (1 review written)

AVOID THIS COMPANY!!! Had existing policy and tried repeatedly to get through when we were due to move home to transfer details to new address. First two calls they couldn't access the system, third time cut me off. Ended up taking many calls to finally cancel my home contents policy, only to be charged £50 for the privilege of doing so!!! Will NOT be using again!!… Read Full Review

Mr_Swinon's Response to GvAGirl's Review

Written on: 21/08/2015

I agree that the with the first two calls this was unacceptable as they should have been able to find your details and being cut off is also poor and not good for the customer but as for the cancellation fee this would have been explained to you when you took out the policy.

I am sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with Swinton Insurance.

Read 1 Comment

“It's all in the SMALL PRINT !!!!”

Written on: 15/03/2015 by Hollie49 (1 review written)

I suppose I took the cheapest (ish) policy out for a flat I was renting. I unfortunately only stayed for 6 months and the policy was for 12. On cancelling I was told that I had to pay a penalty for early cancellation. The usual stuff. However what I couldn't believe was that it amounted to twice the amount I had left to pay on my policy! How I asked? Because it's in the terms and conditions I was told. I then said “oh well just leave it then and I'll pay it off as I was originally at 4.50 a… Read Full Review

Mr_Swinon's Response to Hollie49's Review

Written on: 21/08/2015

Unfortunately cancellation fees are standard with any Insurance policy you take out and sometimes you do have to pay more than you did for the policy.

Read 1 Comment

“After the bathroom had a leaking pipe over a long...”

Written on: 21/02/2015 by Ryderc279 (1 review written)

After the bathroom had a leaking pipe over a long period of time in the end the whole room including the floor and beams needed replacing costing many thousands of pounds. They said as it was a leak over a long period of time it wasn't eligible for a claim.Its no wonder they are one of the cheapest because they have no intention of paying out any claims.Please AVOID at all costs… Read Full Review

Written on: 21/08/2015

Home Insurance often only covers for unforeseen circumstances so in this instance the correct decision was made.

“No compassion ”

Written on: 09/02/2015 by KatelynWhitehead (1 review written)

Mum had insurance with this company she passed away last month so we closed her bank account stopping all standing orders they sent letter to inform us payment hadn't been taken we rang them to explain circumstances and the money grabbing person on the phone continued to sell us insurance telling us the house was at risk whilst empty but the original policy didn't cover damage or theft Totally inappropriate at the time no sorry for your loss absolute parasites… Read Full Review

Written on: 21/08/2015

I totally agree and am very sorry to hear you have had this experience with Swinton Insurance.

I am sure the person you spoke to meant well but of course under the circumstances this should have shown more compassion.

Read 1 Comment

“Worthless, won't allow you to make a claim! ”

Written on: 22/01/2015 by CaelHooper208 (1 review written)

My mountain bike got stolen from my house, loss adjusters turned up twice trying to wriggle out of it by making statements and getting us to sign them. They tried every dirty trick to get out of paying. This is a dreadful company. You may as well not have any insurance because they won't pay if you do have a claim so why have insurance?… Read Full Review

Written on: 21/08/2015

I am very shocked to hear you have had this experience with Swinton Insurance and would suggest that if something like this happens to contact your local branch at once as this is totally unacceptable.

Read 1 Comment

“Bathroom leak, took over 6 months without shower”

Written on: 28/09/2014 by boogiemum (1 review written)

Disaster from minute to end. Bullying assessors and wanting to do everything on the cheap. Absolute nightmare. Steer clear… Read Full Review

Mr_Swinon's Response to boogiemum's Review

Written on: 21/08/2015

Another review with a bad experience with a loss assessor. I would suggest that if you have this problem that you speak to your local Swinton Branch as we need to be aware of what is happening as we do want our customers to have a bad experience like this.

This is totally unacceptable.

Read 1 Comment

“one star is too good for this company”

Written on: 26/08/2014 by Foxsr59 (1 review written)

They do start off with a good price first to get you hooked on their home insurance policy. But beware if you don't tell them before the end of your policy they will charge you the first month of the new policy without your consent which they call auto-renew. Also I cancelled this before the end of my policy so I would not get charged. Then got a phone-call from the local office who informed me there was nothing on the system to say I had cancelled the auto-renew. He was very rude and tried to… Read Full Review

“Hopeless - and the policy hadn't even started!”

Written on: 23/07/2014 by Welsh6 (1 review written)

I purchased a policy from Swinton online. I required home contents insurance for an upcoming tenancy, and required accidental damage cover. I purchased it and noted accidental damage cover was provided. So far, so good. I paid and received the documents. At this point I noted that the accidental damage cover related to some electrical goods only and not to anything else, and did not meet my needs. I contacted the company the next day as soon as their call centre opened. The rather hopeless… Read Full Review

Written on: 21/08/2015

" I am required to provide cover for the landlord's possessions before the tenancy can commence, "

I do not understand why you would need to cover this as most landlords policy's cover contents as well.

“elderly sick mum”

Written on: 01/11/2013 by MUMSSON (1 review written)

My mum is 88 years old and has not been keeping very well, the family were concerned about her and after her last stay in hospital i decided to take her in and care for her. So i contacted swinton to cancel the house insurance as it was no longer required which had been running for 7 months and had been paid for the year when taken out. After explaining this to swinton i was told there would a £50 cancellation charge less £23 for the period still to run so £27 would be to pay. I was not… Read Full Review

“FINED 7.8 MILLION FOR MIS-SELLING BY FCA!!!”

Written on: 02/10/2013

the FCA fined swintons 3-4 months ago for mis-selling policies to customers on purpose to make money, How they are still trading i do not know, people are just chucking their money away, as if they are going to pay out on claims when theyve just been fined 7.8million, JOKE!!… Read Full Review

Stephenharris82's Comment

Written on: 14/11/2013

Swinton are a broker, not an insurer... they don't pay claims the underwriter would........ stupid review.

Written on: 21/08/2015

We have learned from our mistakes of the past and are working all the time to make the future a better place.

Read 2 Comments

“Swindlers Home Insurance”

Written on: 30/09/2013

I would like to give them no stars! Having suffered heavy snowfall last winter, the guttering on the rear of my property was badly damaged and I assumed it would be covered by the policy. Swinton's sent out a surveyor from a company named Nationwide Surveying Solutions who took photos and then rang the local office to ask if the policy covered snow damage. Of course it didn't! Again, a few weeks ago my area was hit by severe storms and there was damage to my bow window. The same surveyor came… Read Full Review

Written on: 21/08/2015

It is quite normal for Household Insurance policy's to exclude cover with regards to storm damage and again this would be told to the customer when they took the policy out and one should never assume they are covered in the first place.

And again I'm afraid that cancellation charges are standard for any broker and they are read to the customer before they take out the policy.

Read 1 Comment

“Should be called 'Swindle' Insurance”

Written on: 20/09/2013 by kkw123 (1 review written)

Having taken out a home insurance policy with a £100 'complimentary discount' I was shocked to find that upon early cancellation Swinton reclaimed a percentage of the 'discount' as well as charging me a cancellation fee, admin fee and whatever other fees they could think of which ended up costing me the value of over 3 months worth of payments. Will not be using this company again for any type of insurance, you're better off going direct!!!!… Read Full Review

Mr_Swinon's Response to kkw123's Review

Written on: 21/08/2015

Again it is quite common place for a company to reclaim their discount and make cancellation charges and this would have been pointed out to the customer before they took out the insurance.

“Cancellation charge”

Written on: 09/09/2013

Beware of cancellation charge!! I took home insurance on a pay monthly basis with Swinton and when I moved just over 2 months later I cancelled (giving written notice & returning the policy documents as per ts&cs) as they were not the cheapest insurer for my new house - then got a letter saying I owed £56+..... Their reason for this being a "£50 cancellation charge"!!! Having looked through the documents several times to find out the protocol to cancel nowhere did I see this charge… Read Full Review

“Very Unprofessional Stroppy Customer Service”

Written on: 01/09/2013 by bazandberyl222 (1 review written)

I have had the misfortune of having home insurance with this company for two years. When I complained to customer service about all their additional charges on my renewal and I wanted to cancel, they fell short of verbal abuse towards me. Extremely unprofessional behaviour of their so- called manager. I ended up paying them £50 cancellation fee even though I was within 3 weeks of my renewal date. They had refused to cancel my policy… Read Full Review

“Dreadful insurer - stay away”

Written on: 26/07/2013

I had the misfortunte to need to cancel my home insurance policy after 4.5 months as I've moved house. Having paid my annual premium of nearly £60 I was told I'd have to pay another £11 to cancel. Despite repeated requests to explain why cancelling was going to cost more than the annual premium they were unable to answer my question. I was repeatedly told "it's the process". At the end of the call I even had to remind them to contact me at an alternative address if they ever wanted any hope… Read Full Review

“Will NOT cover you IF you make a claim!!!”

Written on: 05/06/2013 by mumof3kids (1 review written)

I have never reviewed anything before, but im so shocked by their attitude that i had to warn others about them. I have been paying for home insurance home emergency for years with no claims, I also have and have had many other policies with them. I then suffered a large water leak, which on my policy says is covered, for plumbing issues, I contacted them, and it took 45 minutes to find my details, bearing in mind its an emergency no, I was then put through to a number which stated the office… Read Full Review