Tesco Home Insurance Reviews

Tesco Home Insurance - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Tesco Home Insurance

Tesco Home Insurance

“Horrendous repair job”

Written on: 01/10/2017 by crawleyray (1 review written)

A car knocked down my garden wall and full liability was accepted by the insurance company for the car driver. I progressed my claim using my home insurance policy with Tesco insurance and they have take more than 4 months to complete the work and finished over 7 weeks later than the original completion date. The work is a complete bodge job with bricks the wrong size and colour that don't match the rest of the wall. The replacement gate, posts and staining involved replacing one post with a… Read Full Review

“Worst Insurer Ever”

Written on: 18/09/2017 by Terryr48 (1 review written)

Quick enough to take your money, put in a claim -forget it Had sewage in my garden from a blocked sewer, told by Tesco, put your dogs in kennels then go to a hotel, claim put in June 2017 never heard a thing phoned Sept told oh no we don't cover that Now £400 out of pocket, Thanks a bunch Tesco, DO NOT USE TESCO HOME INSURANCE, absolutely useless… Read Full Review

“worst insurer i've ever used”

Written on: 27/07/2017 by ravb420 (1 review written)

hot problems with my boiler, engineer was sent out and said that we're not covered for the heat exchanger. left the problem as it was and then I later discovered that heat exchanger is covered in my policy. phone Tesco and they just don't want to know and making up storied just not to fix the problem. … Read Full Review

“Another claimed turned down”

Written on: 26/06/2017 by LizbethWentworth (1 review written)

Hi We have been with Tesco Home insurance for a number of years without a claim but recently due to storm Doris we had to contact them with a 350 excess and bay roof sheet lifted off aswell as internal damages to that sheet being lifted off. The surveyor came out 8 weeks later had a look and decided it was due to wear and tear. So claim not valid but internal is covered 500 for decorating upstairs and downstairs plus few plastering bits aswell as inserting of noggins. Sent in builders… Read Full Review

“ANOTHER BAD ONE”

Written on: 10/03/2017 by Carrab261 (1 review written)

I have had a home insurance policy with Tesco for quite a few years now and never claimed. During the recent storms my roof covering (felt) came off my garage extension in almost one complete sheet. Tesco sent out a surveyor to look at it (eventually) and his findings were that due to it being in a deteriorated state? it had come off in small patches over a period of time and no claim could be made. I sent a photograph taken on the day of the whole thing sat on my garden lawn but no answer… Read Full Review

“LEAVE WELL ALONE”

Written on: 28/02/2017 by laneyrollins (1 review written)

Having been with Tesco Home Insurance for a few years I decided to stay with them. With this insurance you got Experian Identity Protection Service, when I tried to log in to Experian,they said I am not eligible for Protect My ID membership and I had to contact Tesco ProtectMyID which I did. For the past 10 months I have been going backwards and forwards to Tesco and Experian. They are both blaming each other. I paid £245 for this policy which hasn't given me 100% cover. I will not be renewing… Read Full Review

“Every little helps and little is what you get!”

Written on: 30/01/2017

TESCO HOME INSURANCE or maybe not! Had my van broken into followed by my integral garage at 3am, all caught on camera;really didn't expect any help with the theft from my van but I would have thought the garage was house burglary. The first and completely irrelevant question I was asked by the claim adviser was"what type of front door do you have" from this moment I knew they would use every effort to dispute my claim. Lost about £1300 worth of tools, these were a mixture of carpentry tools… Read Full Review

“Claim handlers so thick its untrue”

Written on: 16/01/2017 by duAndrews313 (1 review written)

Tesco home insurance are a joke. The claim handlers turn every little thing down with no evidence and really thick explanations as to why. I think tesco personnel need a bit iof training so they don't just employ the dregs of society or at least insist the employees have done basic education or common sense… Read Full Review

“First insurance claim - no quibble paid out same day!”

Written on: 22/12/2016

Had the policy for two years no problem today had to claim for the first time. I was claiming for a broken all-in-one desktop pc which had fallen and cracked screen. 5 minute chat and a few checks over the phone with a lovely agent, emailed a picture of damage and instantly got a call back. Voucher for replacement computer at Currys emailed out to me the same day! Cannot fault the service at all… Read Full Review

“7 ye3ars no claims and still no cover for my flooded...”

Written on: 25/11/2016

Please look into their cover carefully - I pay over 400 a year to cover buildings and contents. Just had a flood and they are only prepared to fix the bit of laminate which is effected ! Even though I cannot match this anywhere as the company don't do this type of floor any more. I now have a 600 excess - with a promise of a half a floor ! I am disgusted. They haven't got back to me yet either - three weeks after the initial claim.. PLEASE DONT use this company !!!!… Read Full Review

“Very disappointing!”

Written on: 23/08/2016 by GMS1947 (1 review written)

After nearly 50 years of purchasing home insurance with various providers and with only one claim in all that time, I recently tried to make a claim for a broken window under my policy with Tesco Home Contents Insurance, Tenant's Liability clause (no excess), but was fobbed off by the customer advisor who said I need to check with my landlord's insurance first. My landlord happens to be a small charity with limited resources providing housing for retired ministers but has agreed to pay for the… Read Full Review

“Tesco. Very little help!”

Written on: 14/07/2016

Thanks to Tesco home insurance telling me on 10th May I was covered for a replacement stair carpet after burning mine with a heat gun, I didn't take the usual care of the said carpet when completing a subsequent bannister refurbishment and gloss painting. I'm now informed today that I'm not covered after all... They made a mistake! ! Absolute disgrace… Read Full Review

“Don't waste your time with Tesco's Insurance”

Written on: 12/06/2016 by Castlecroft (3 reviews written)

Totally agree with all the comments on here about TESCO'S MISHANDLING insurance claims. They are happy to take money but are totally deaf when you try to make a claim... DON'T INSURE WITH THIS COMPANY… Read Full Review

“Don't waste your time with Tesco's Insurance”

Written on: 12/06/2016 by Castlecroft (3 reviews written)

“Going else where .”

Written on: 15/05/2016 by Owens261 (1 review written)

Been a customer house and car for years . Full no claims . Tried for 20 mins to renew 2 house insurance , one I live in and one my partner lives in ( we jointly own both properties ). No cant do that ,he has to insure one , and I the other . Same bank account , no change in circumstances from previous renewals . Was put on hold for ages , then told I could not renew . Fine , cancel both , and my car insurance . Loss to tesco insurance ...... 3 policies worth about £1,500 and my custom… Read Full Review

“Poor service AVOID at all costs”

Written on: 13/04/2016 by Ashlyk1989 (1 review written)

Renewed to Tesco shower leaked flooded shower room water behind tiles poring everywhere. Called Tesco told to get plumber stop leak/ get quote. Did so, not happy wanted surveyor out 10 days later out they came said it was old damage nothing to do with them all was dry ( told him heating was on / windows open to dry it out). Asked me to sign his clipboard, Tesco saying I now agree with his assessment! Sharp practice or what. My evidence ie photos not relevant or believed why would I wait 30… Read Full Review

Thelevelhead2's Comment

Hi User.

It seems a trend with Tesco on this site.

My only thought is that possibility the leak started before you took the policy out? If you've had the policy for more than a year I'm not sure they have an argument.

Regardless of how long the leak has been going on, if you've only just noticed it when they should honor that.

If however you reported the leak and got the pipe fixed 3 months later the insurance company won't cover the full costs. However I think they would still make a cash offer.

With regards to speaking to the same people. You have to pay a fortune for a company to have dedicated handlers. It's an inbound call centre so you're going to get someone different every time and there's nothing you can do about it.

I advise you renew through an insurance broker, then maybe next time you have a claim you'll have a professional to back you up.

Thanks - LevelHead2

“Dreadful Service”

Written on: 08/04/2016 by RoyR (2 reviews written)

I had been insured with Tesco Home Insurance for Buildings and Contents the past couple of years and this year they sent me a renewal quote that was a 50% increase in premium from last year. I was shocked that they would try to rip me off like that when in 20 years of having home insurance I've never made a single claim so there was no justification for them to increase my premium. Needless to say I was not going to renew with them and sought quotes from other insurers, and on finding… Read Full Review

Salsj's Response to RoyR's Review

Written on: 28/06/2016

The same thing has just happened to me. Landlord building insurance, £417 2015/16 ,£972 2016/17. I have been a customer for years and have never made a claim. I have automatically renewed for the last 2 years as I was out of the country and had no choice, they've certainly relied on this auto renewal history to try and rip me off. Sorry Tesco, our relationship is done. The rather surly young man I spoke to upon cancelling would win no prizes for customer service. Just to add, my new policy for more cover and access to legal services is £104 for the full year.

“Home Insurance”

Written on: 16/02/2016 by foxyjannette (1 review written)

After so many years with you and not claiming any insurance you have doubled my premium to £184.44 this year why is this?… Read Full Review

Thelevelhead2's Response to foxyjannette's Review

Hi User.

There is an increase in insurance related tax which will raise your premium.

£180 for any cover is reasonable in my experience. Insurance is based on risk so perhaps something may have changed in your area for them to act this way.

Thanks - LevelHead

Read 1 Comment

“DREADFUL SERVICE & RIP OFF”

Written on: 11/02/2016 by Fatbloke11 (54 reviews written)

I have been with Tesco's Home and buildings insurance for years- until NOW. I had my shed broken into and a number of things stolen- I called TESCO and raised a claim- I had to send photo's and prove ownership etc by email I did this straight away. I called them the next day to ask what happens now.......this is where it all falls apart. I have spent over 4 hours on the telephone in the last 3 days. TESCO outsource the insurance through RSA. When I call RSA I am told I will get all back in an… Read Full Review

Carmen-Rsainsurance's Response to Fatbloke11's Review

Written on: 11/02/2016

I'm really sorry to hear you've had such poor experience - I'd like to help if I can.

RSA does have a complaints team and procedure and I'd be very happy to raise your case for immediate review - I'll just need a few more details to do that.

Please email us with your policy number, address and contact details and I'll get the complaints process rolling right away.

(Of course, it goes without saying that you shouldn't post your details here!)

I hope we hear from you so we can start to resolve things for you.

--------------------

Carmen

Corporate Communications

RSA Insurance Group plc

Fatbloke11's reply to Carmen-Rsainsurance's Comment

Written on: 12/02/2016

I have emailed and called several times- RSA still refuse to tell me what there complaints process is. Are you suggesting that I send more emails to be ignored or perhaps I could telephone again and have agreed actions ignored?

Your comment above is in no way helpful I have done all the above and had no response or calls back. Perhaps you should look up my name on your system and call me.

Fatbloke11's reply to Fatbloke11's Comment

Written on: 16/02/2016

Still no response either in writing or telephone- what a dreadful company. But RSA's subcontractor has managed to delay longer. No idea whats going on or when I can expect this to be sorted. Will make sure I stay away from Tescos and RSA for any future insurance.

Thelevelhead2's Response to Fatbloke11's Review

Hi User.

It seems a very confusing situation. You'll buy your insurance through Tesco but your actual policy is through RSA. It's kind of a broker who basically just sell insurance and you won't deal with them directly.

RSA are the people you need to speak to with regards to your email. It's a waste of your time ringing Tesco going forward.

Your claim itself seems straight forward and I'm not sure why a loss adjusters is involved. It should be a case of proving your loss by means of images. Giving them a list of items stolen and quotes for replacement.

You might be undone by a popular exclusion for theft from an outbuilding. It's a common thing on policies where the insurance company don't pay out on claims if the theft isn't to the main structure of the building. Is this why you've made a complaint?

Thanks

Foxyjannette's Response to Fatbloke11's Review

Written on: 16/02/2016

Thanks for informing us, I am with insurance too and they never do reply when ask about claims as long as you are paying them and this year it has doubled the amount they want of me in spite of me not claiming anything from them.

Fatbloke11's Response to Fatbloke11's Review

Written on: 16/02/2016

Adding to the rubbish service- Tesco outsource this to the RSA who then outsource to a company called Cunningham Lindsey. They asked for photo's as proof of ownership and these were sent and then rejected because I can't send in the format that they want- its joke. I send them to RSA again and ask them to sort it out for their sub-contractor, delay delay delay- A dreadful service getting worse.

Read 6 Comments

“Emergancy Assist Insurance is flawed”

Written on: 18/12/2015

Left with no heating for 6 days, we had to keep calling, calls were not made/returned as stated. Waited in for an engineer who did not show. when the engineer came he diagnosed faulty time clock, I asked him to bypass it so that we may get heating. He said it cannot be done. Two days later discover that time clocks are not covered, I said I have no heating - that surely is an emergency. Told on the phone that the engineer would come back and bypass the clock or show me how to use the boiler… Read Full Review