Sainsburys Home Insurance

Sainsburys Home Insurance - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Sainsburys Home Insurance

Sainsburys Home Insurance

“The worst home emergency home insurance company ever ”

Written on: 01/12/2022 by Badlytreated234 (1 review written)

I had a water pipe leak on my kitchen on monday, still waiting for emergency plumbers on thurs. nothing but lies from staff on phone lines, how they are on their way to fix leak, only for the plumbers to go sick, so cant make it. they must employ the most sickly plumbers in the country. When asked why they keep lying to me, the phone staff just say we're really sorry always the same answers and excuses,there is something really bad about sainbury's emergency insurance. I have cancer and really need to get my water back on, as after 3 days of leaking water and stinking toilets, I think its becoming a health hazard in my own home, all thanks to drive you in-sainsbury emergency home insurance

“Just unbelievably awful ”

Written on: 11/11/2022 by Stuee6 (3 reviews written)

Home insurance, been with them for 10 years. The portal is absolutely useless and the customer service are the worst I have ever had to deal with. Tried charging me £16 for cancelling a policy, 2 years ago and the awful person on the other end of phone would not accept that I had never cancelled a policy. It wasn't until I insisted she checked again that she realised it had been an error and written off. Every time you try to sign into your portal you have to wait for a code, which never turns up and if it does and you input it, it then says timed out. This I have noticed happens even when you want to do an online grocery shop, so we stopped shopping with them a long time ago. Sainsburys home insurance use to be very good but these past two years they have fallen off the edge of a cliff and now losing customers left right and centre. I have cancelled my policy and gone with another company. Even though Sainsburys were in the wrong, they tried to charge me £39 cancellation fee. I refused to pay it.

“Disgraceful Customer Service ”

Written on: 24/08/2022 by Simplythebest67 (1 review written)

I am absolutely disgusted with Sainsbury's. I contacted customer service, if that’s what you can even call it!! Due to me being very poorly I missed a direct debit payment, I spoke to them 4 times in a day. I asked if they could possibly wait one week for my payment. They had even sent me a text message saying that if you are experiencing difficulty to call them and they will help and sort out a payment plan or add the payment onto the next monthly payments. I asked the girl on the phone who she had spoken to to ask if they could help? Did she speak to someone on Teams? Her reply was “it’s none of your business!” Excuse me, I am the customer here, she kept over talking me and was extremely rude. Sainsbury's have not treated me fairly at all! They are cancelling my policy and I have even advised them of my circumstances. I asked to speak to a manager, the girl said well you can’t! I raised a complaint and I was told well it won’t be any good because you won’t get a reply for eight weeks and your policy will be cancelled today. Please do not take out a policy with Sainsbury’s. They do not have any customer care whatsoever! I came off the telephone and I was in tears from the way I had been treated and spoken too.

“Terrible customer service ”

Written on: 30/04/2022 by SarahBrennanSwann (1 review written)

Incredibly poor customer service. Problem remains unresolved due to a disorganised service and complete incompetence. Phoned and they couldn't even find our policy. Not even with policy number, direct debit instruction and email confirmation. Took about 6 separate phonecall and 3 hours on phone over 2 days to even log the claim. Call handlers mysteriously kept hanging up or call got lost during call transfers on the first set of calls which we made after work on a Friday. This was so frustrating ... Believe me, not my idea of a good time spending Friday night doing this. Presumably a strategic move since we were phoning after work on a Friday night and call handler didn't want to deal with it. 8 days later and still no action has been taken. Will appreciate it if someone gets back to us as incident results in us without a cooker which isn't ideal with very young children in the house needing nutritious meals cooking. If they don't sort it out, my intention will be to pay for it privately and put a claim in to Small Claims Court as we are covered for this by our policy so want all direct debits paid refunding back. Haven't needed to claim for anything in 25 years of home ownership but definitely won't be using Sainsburys again that's for sure!

“Dreadful phone system”

Written on: 01/03/2022 by McGraw334 (1 review written)

Dreadful delays on phone service. I wanted to change an item on renewal it would not let me do it on line. Numerous persons spoken to but never correct departments, was told by one that as policy began with an A she could not access it…. So she transferred me to Car Insurance. Can’t even cancel renewal on line have to call! As my father once said to me you only know how good your insurers are when you need them!!

“Appalling on all levels.”

Written on: 10/01/2022 by 140McAllister (1 review written)

Absolutely appalling on all levels. Whatever you do, do not get insurance via Sainsburys Bank. Say they'll cover you, then casually decide not to Hold onto your money. Have an incapable customer service department All have a different opinion of their own T&Cs Have shocking relationships with their underwriters And waste huge proportions of your time. Despite having a question on their sign-up form of 'will you be undertaking building works', you selecting 'yes' and them congratulating you that they'll cover you and merrily taking your money in full. When you then call them to inform them the building works are starting, they then say they don't cover you. Annoying but not the end of the world as they say they'll refund you the remainder of your policy given they are unable to provide the insurance service for you, and you'll be waived the cancellation fee. Cheque is on it's way to you... happy days. SIX MONTHS & 10 x 1.5 hour phone calls later, (prepare for call wait times of 40 minutes each time with the same one ghastly song playing over and over) still no cheque, and no customer service representative has any idea of previous conversations. Nor any authority to do anything. Nor can they access the call recordings they supposedly use for training purposes. I can assure you the grand total of ZERO training occurs at Sainsburys Bank. They then cheekily write a letter saying they've decided to close the policy six months later but you must pay them £25 for the privilege and no refund. I wish zero stars was an option .

“Poor Response from Contact Centre”

Written on: 29/11/2021 by amq0609 (1 review written)

Recently took out a Home Buildings and Contents Insurance policy but unfortunately ended up with two policies (one with previous insurer and one with Sainsburys). My previous insurer asked me to send a questionnaire to Sainsburys so that between them they can provide a suitable refund. No response from Sainsburys and when I tried to call the contact centre on two separate occasions they hung up as soon as they answered the call (having waited each time 15 to 30 mins). To raise a complaint about the poor response from the Call Centre the number listed to call is the very same number I am complaining about and there is no option to direct the call to the Complaints Department. The only option left is to write to the same address as the address given to send the questionnaire which they never responded to the first time round. Avoid this company like the plague.

“Abysmal telephone service”

Written on: 25/10/2021 by Salmonins (1 review written)

Been on telephone hold for 6 days trying to pay them money for my renewal!! No answer on any of their contact numbers and no email so i cannot pay, God help you if you have to make a claim. I have now been uninsured for 2 days cos they do not communicate. I'm paying more money to go elsewhere and suggest you do the same..

“Do not purchase this”

Written on: 02/08/2021 by AnabellaMcClellan (1 review written)

I rarely write reviews but my experience with Sainsbury’s home insurance has been awful. Despite being with them for several years, I have not claimed but over the past year I have needed to claim twice - an outside water leak and electrical problems. Useless phone and text assurances from contractors about the progress of the claim. Would not cover the water costs but it took 2 and a half months of constant chasing 2 contractors to establish this. On the second occasion, they failed to recognise that my insurance covered emergencies- made me pay £114 upfront for an emergency electrician who never arrived. Will not be renewing my claim next year even if it costs me more elsewhere and would strongly advise others to avoid Sainsbury’s home insurance.

“Disgraceful Corporate - making us slaves to their system”

Written on: 09/06/2020 by SainsburysSlaveToTheirSystem (1 review written)

Just received an email to tell me that my home insurance will be £30 more than I paid last year. Oh and Sainsbury's will be taking my money 5 days before the renewal date whether I like it or not. There are no instructions in the email to tell me how to stop this from happening and no way to reply by (free) email. On top of that, there's no information on their website about how to stop the renewal and no way of contacting apart from phoning them- and being charged for the privilege! This is totally disgraceful corporate behaviour. Check out their 2019 Modern Slavery Statement: "We understand our duty to respect human rights, we are committed to identifying vulnerable workers and we will not tolerate any form of slavery or servitude in our business or supply chains". What an absolute joke! They are making me a slave to their system and making me pay for it. Please avoid their insurance at all costs!!! Don't let them trap you with modern day slavery.

“Unable to get through on the phone”

Written on: 25/06/2019 by DSTel (1 review written)

The Home insurance is automatically renewed and I have spent 20 minutes on the phone trying to cancel it. I was told it is part of the Insurance deal that they automatically renew and all you receive is an email to let you know they are taking the money.

“Terrible Service And Customer Care”

Written on: 16/10/2018 by FrankieStokes407 (1 review written)

I have been a customer of Sainsburys home Insurance for several years and have never made a claim with them or any previous insurer, but the recent treatment I received from them is so bad I think I need to let others know.

I have had building work done previously and after notifying Sainsbury's the result was my excess was doubled while work was in progress, I have no problem with that. On 1st October 2018 I notified Sainsbury's I would be starting more building work I was told if they needed more information I would be contacted in 48 hours, I heard nothing.

Late on 15th October I received a call saying the policy was cancelled due to the building work, no other explanation or offer of cover with additional premium or even giving me the option to cancel.

The upshot is I was left with no cover and because they cancelled the policy I have to inform other insurers I have had a policy cancelled through no fault of my own which I guess will influence quotes for future years, plus I have had to pay a much larger premium to a new insurer because building work is on going.

The person on the phone said but we won't charge you a cancellation fee. Really you could not make it up! I have several Sainsbury's bank products but will not ever use them again for anything, they are truly appalling.

“Leak in Roof”

Written on: 18/01/2018 by Lolamai (1 review written)

Tiles have slipped my roof,when, I did not know until rain came through my2 bedroom ceiling. I have been nearly six weeks trying to sort it out, They deal with a 3rd party called Consortium who decide what you pay for and what you don't. I have ended up paying for almost everything In the first instance they declined my claim, I got back to Sainsbury's and was told that they had to get advice concerning the policy as they didn't know all the facts, they overturned the decision and said they aren't responsible for damage to the roof but quote "for anything under the tiles. I would have to pay for the removal and replacement of the tiles and they would pay for the removal of a rotten rafter and the replacement of a new one. They told me on the phone that they would pay for a scaffold but then changed their mind and said that as I had to pay for tiles to be removed and replaced, I would have to pay half towards it as I needed to use it also. The policy states they will pay for removal of rubbish and cleaning up the site but they say I will have to pay half as half the rubbish is mine. Felting and new struts have to be replaced but they say I am responsible because it' deemed part of the roof. They will only be responsible from the loft down. Have you ever heard of anything so petty. They state in the advertisement that your building includes your roof, walls, windows etc. Don't believe them, they will say anything to avoid paying. They also want me to pay the whole amount up front. When their surveyor is not allowed to get up a ladder, he has a camera on a pole, this is not allowed because of Health Safety rules. How on earth can they determine what damage has been caused if they can't see under the tiles. Well I'm sure after reading my review you can come to the right decision.

“Dont bother ”

Written on: 06/12/2017 by hellsbell (1 review written)

I wish i read the reviews first over a month starting the contents insurance cover and many phone calls i got a statement of fact and noticed a mistake. By then it passed a month and would cost £15 to change it or £25 to cancel then the girl kept asking me to repeat over and over again i just hung up not fit for purpose all this time i was uninsured if i had the notes straight away like you are supposed to it would of been nice to read them

“AVOID AVOID AVOID”

Written on: 15/11/2017 by Lynettea (5 reviews written)

Would like to leave no stars. Took out and paid in full car insurance on 7th November. when paperwork arrived by email the start date was incorrect so i called immediately. The person was extremely rude and unhelpful and said he could not ammend the date. I decided it did not bode well if the customer service was this bad now what would it be like if i had an actual accident. I cancelled the policy and asked for a refund which I was told would take 3/5 days. After a week I called as no sign of the refund to be told that the refund had not been put through. I asked to speak to a manager who could not tell me why the payment had not been made but she would ensure it was done that day. She then called me back and said as I had waited over a week already she would do a same day bank transfer if I provided my bank details. 2 days later still no sign of the refund. I called this morning to speak to the same manager and no surprise she was in a meeting but I was assured I would be called back in an hour. 1 hour 15 minutes later still no call back so called again. The manager from monday would still not take my call so was put through to a third manager. Apparently the payment was not made on Monday like promised but she will ensure it is done today. No confidence at all that this will happen. AVOID AVOID AVOID. I am over £250 out of pocket as had to pay another insurer also to get cover while Sainsbury sits on my money.

“Shocking Customer Service! ”

Written on: 24/03/2017

I rang up to cancel my policy as my renewal figure had increased by £90 over the year. I explained I was cancelling it and all I heard was a groan from the lady advisor - I wasn't sure if she was more than happy to deal with my cancellation or if she truly was disappointed a customer was leaving. She then pursued asking why I wanted to cancel my policy and I explained I had been given cheaper quotes, she asked for my new quotes which was £25:00 cheaper each month and said 'ok I will cancel the policy - it's up for renewal on the 27th and you have paid your dd this month - you are in arearers so therefore you owe us nothing'. I was appalled - there was no empathy shown by this lady, no trying to retain my business and the words she used made you feel as if you are in the 'red' with your payments. I understand how insurance policies work however, the dialogue and customer service skills shown were not great. Please look for other providers - after reading reviews now I agree this isn't a good company to deal with I only wish I had seen the statements before I took out my policy - there are some great companies that offer a much better service at a better price and I'm sure that's all a decent customer expects and wants from any company.

“Appalling ”

Written on: 22/11/2016 by wohmyk (1 review written)

Made a claim on 5th August 2016 which involved a carpet amongst other things and the service is just appalling. When you ring Sainsbury's up you very rarely get through to someone and when you do they say they gonna ring you back and more often than not they don't. With my experience they used two different companies 1. Direct Validations 2.Independant inspections. It took numerous phone calls over about 4-6 weeks to eventually get that part of the claim sorted then with Independant Validations i'm still waiting on my carpet after first sending someone out to measure it, then the carpet fitter turning up and after measuring again he said the carpet won't fit, measured wrong and they will be in touch, i had to phone them up 2 weeks later to see when my carpet was coming, or we've been trying to contact you but couldn't as we need to re measure(can't have tried very hard to contact me then), 2 weeks later came to measure again and now after numerous calls again i keep getting told its on order. I could have woven one myself by now. Will not be renewing with them.

“Appalling”

Written on: 17/01/2016

Despite being with the company for at least 8 years and never having made a claim in previous years, I was absolutely staggered by the terrible service I received. Following a leak in the roof of side extension, it was reported and repaired by the home emergency team last week. Roof continued to leak, electricity cuts out on friday night, my parents who are in their 70s have no facility to cook or warm food and have to fumble around in the dark. Advised by the emergency team that they don't have an account of any repairs being made and can't do anything until the department opens on monday morning because they need to check what was done. Disgraceful.

“Overpricing loyal customers”

Written on: 11/01/2016 by KirstenEllis463 (1 review written)

I have just been quoted an annual price over £900 for renewal - I have had the policy for 11 years and never claimed. Switched providers (5 star rated) and got the same cover for less than £200. I am shocked by the cheek of charging loyal customers excess premiums.

“Avoid at all costs”

Written on: 05/01/2016 by Holloway234 (1 review written)

Sainsburys emergency cover is worthless. We tried to make a claim on our insurance for an emergency breakdown of our boiler - it should have been fully covered according to the policy brochure. It took over three months for the insurer to reluctantly make a payment as a 'gesture of goodwill'. They tried to say that the boiler was beyond economic repair - but when they eventually, reluctantly provided the figures that they'd used, it was clearly well within the insured figure. Had we not pursued the claim we'd have been left out-of-pocket.

Asked by Lolamai on 19th January 2018 Report this content
Out of 18 reviews on Sainsbury's Home Insurance, they have received one star for 14 of them. Why should they be allowed to get away with avoiding to pay?

Thanks for answering this question.

We will email your when your answer is on the site