Gilera Nexus 500 Reviews

Media Gallery for Gilera Nexus 500

Gilera Nexus 500
Gilera Nexus 500

“Gilera nexus 500”

Written on: 24/05/2019 by KeshawnHumphrey (1 review written)

When running great fun, but hideously unreliable, my bike has 16,000km. And spent most of its time in my ownership of the road, I have changed, starter motor, starter clutch, flywheel, numerous electric faults, bad wiring, ie flimsy. I love it and hate at the same time, at 6ft plus it's not comfortable and kills my back after 1 hour. This should be a great bike but it's very flawed. It's put me off scooters, and if you cant ride a bike without Feering a call to the AA, best avoid a Gilera… Read Full Review

“Gilera Nexus 500”

Written on: 26/11/2017 by 280Watson (1 review written)

Now when my scooter works its great, good fun etc etc. But I am not impressed by build quality or electrics. Having waited nearly three months for a replacement Sprague clutch, and other related parts I have finally got the bike back on the road. Now it's covered an alleged 11,000 kilometres. Today having only got the bike back barely three weeks I now have an alarm that won't turn off... Main headlight switch decides to turn off when you need it...will now spend hours working out where to… Read Full Review

“I bought my Nexus 500 a year ago and have now covered...”

Written on: 10/08/2010

I bought my Nexus 500 a year ago and have now covered just over 5000 miles. Its a good scooter for touring with sufficient power for most occasions. Fuel consumption is around 60mpg although if you take it easy you can get 65+. I fitted a Gilera Top Box to improve storage - the underseat storage doesnt match the capacity of the TMax, Silverwing or Burgman, and the small compartments up front are so small they are virtually useless. I cant understand why they couldn't provide more(and bigger)… Read Full Review

“My new Nexus 500 is on the way to Bucharest right now,...”

Written on: 02/10/2008

My new Nexus 500 is on the way to Bucharest right now, I cant tell you much about this maxi-scooter but every one told me that is the best on the market. I bought it because a few weeks ago I sold my 1000RR Honda and I dont have the time to travel to Germany for the 2008 model, so for the few sunny days that we have left in Bucharest I'm riding the new Nexus 500. I just hope that I will have the time to adjust myself to the bike, any way the looks of this bike are great (mine is red with… Read Full Review

“Overall, I consider this 'super scooter' to be more...”

Written on: 05/08/2008 by bella bonner (1 review written)

Overall, I consider this 'super scooter' to be more than that, and I love it so much, that next year, I'm getting the 800 version! I think it's great value! Not to be so sniffed at by 'real bikers' happy riding! this baby has speed and the look on bikers faces when you pass them on the motorway is funny! It handles great and gives great weather/wind protection! I've toured all over england and it's been great fun. wonderful to drive into work with… Read Full Review

“Sadly much as I like my Gilera Nexus, I am selling it...”

Written on: 06/04/2008 by Scootie (1 review written)

Sadly much as I like my Gilera Nexus, I am selling it for a more reliable scooter. Its a nice ride and excellent power for motorways and longer journeys, but due to the weight of the bike and the poor engine design for short journeys, its not good for general short commute, or stop start traffic… Read Full Review

Anicho56's Response to Scootie's Review

Written on: 18/03/2010

I found this review very helpful because...I was wondering about the feasibility of a single cylinder 500c engine as far as acceleration and stop start riding. I am now very happy to stay with my Honda 300si which I love to bits!

Read 1 Comment

“After many years (nearly 30 ulp....!) I have been...”

Written on: 22/09/2007 by redzero (1 review written)

After many years (nearly 30 ulp....!) I have been riding on the road I have never not had a bike of some description, from worn out MZs to shiny new Harleys through every Jap bike make and a fair few Euro ones too, depending usually on what I could afford.

A knee injury forced me to look for a bike that I could move my leg in ways impossible on a conventional bike and refrain from using a rear footbrake.

After trying and considering the whole caboodle I decided upon this Nexus and I haven't… Read Full Review

“This machine looks nice, but you would be better off...”

Written on: 19/03/2007 by parman68 (1 review written)

This machine looks nice, but you would be better off taking your money to a Honda dealer, for the cost of this "scooter" you will get something with 10 times the reliability that is built to take the UK weather… Read Full Review

“The Gilera Nexus 500 is a great machine to ride around...”

Written on: 18/09/2006 by solodave (1 review written)

The Gilera Nexus 500 is a great machine to ride around on - lots of power and does a couple of hundred miles at 70mph, with no trouble at all. The wind and weather protection is really good. It's not a bike, though… Read Full Review

“Happily buy another Gilera Nexus 500, could always do...”

Written on: 03/07/2006 by cozensj (1 review written)

Happily buy another Gilera Nexus 500, could always do with even more power, best maxi scooter, much funkier and agile than a Yamaha or Suzuki… Read Full Review

“This is my 6th scooter, I started off with a Honda 50,...”

Written on: 11/09/2005 by bub (1 review written)

This is my 6th scooter, I started off with a Honda 50, then changed that to a Gilera 125 (2 stroke) then I changed that to a Gilera 180 (4 stroke) and then a Piaggio Skipper which was really slow and now I finally have purchased the bike I love the Nexus.
I spent a lot of time looking and it was between the Nexus, Burman 400, Vespa 250 and the Piaggio X9 500. I took them all out for a test drive and there ws no comparison the Nexus was the best of the bunch. It felt the quickest, looked the… Read Full Review

“Just took one of these Gilera Nexus 500 scooters out...”

Written on: 17/07/2004 by Geckz 0k (1 review written)

Just took one of these Gilera Nexus 500 scooters out today. Available in red and silver, with the red looking much nicer. Stylish to look at, single sided swingarm and large exhaust. And on the key is a button which pops the seat to reveal a spacious 'boot'.

Comfortable to sit on, and it allows for two seating positions. The
first is sat back against the(very comfortable) backrest, with your
feet flat on the floor. The second is the round town position, sat
forwards with your feet slightly… Read Full Review

Mike Nash's Response to Geckz 0k's Review

Written on: 20/03/2005

What surfaces was it ridden upon?
<br>
<br>Suspension: Here in the real world, away from smooth motorways, the suspension is hopeless riding solo.
<br>
<br>One the softest setting it's too hard, jolting kidneys over every bump. Halfway up the dial at "four" it wants to bounce the 80kg rider out of his seat at every significant bump.
<br>
<br>Would be great on highways with smooth surface, especially at cruising speed, but is very poor on choppy surfaces.
<br>
<br>Brakes: Those brakes are potentially dangerous. Due possibly partly to the length of the wheelbase, but mostly to the linkage between front and rear brake with the left lever, there's no "feel" as to what the brakes are doing at each end. There's also no way to use just the rear brake. Sooner or later - perhaps when braking on a slick surface in the wet - I'm going to lock up a wheel and come off. My presonal feeling - I have ridden certainly scores, more likely hundreds of motorcycles as a tester - is that sooner or later it'll be recognised as dangerous to supply a lightweight machine with any form of linked brakes without ABS.

431670_Acc's Response to Geckz 0k's Review

Written on: 12/01/2009

I agree with Mike and I came off one of these bikes last week, possibly due to the linked brakes on a slippy surface (not ice). Both wheels just locked up and went from under me at about 15miles per hour. The bike is a write off but having said that for the money you can't get a better scooter with the same sort of power. This is a 125 size scooter with 500cc. I commuted 140miles a day before christmas on one of these. My other bike is BMW R1200GSA (that I rode back from the middle east across Iran etc. so I'm not an all the gear and no idea monkey) and I'd rather ride a Nexus 500 into London everyday.

John Thompson's Response to Geckz 0k's Review

Written on: 13/06/2005

Many Nexus owners along with the similar best selling Piaggio X9 love the linked brakes which are known throughout the industry as among the best in class, if not the best.
The Nexus is a good all rounder with easy to own characteristics, sporty style and anough performance to make you smile.

Read 3 Comments