VW T25 Campervan Reviews

Showing star rating of:

(cancel refinement)

“To buy or not to buy?”

Written on: 20/03/2013

Hi All. I am thinking about buying an 1990 T25, 2.1 petrol and use it as an everyday motor, does anybody know if this would cost me a small fortune to run?? also thinking about an LPG conversion, any thoughts?… Read Full Review

Keithantsmith's Comment

Written on: 22/03/2013

Hiya
I own and currently run a 2.1 fuel injected version in my camper, it returns 25/26 mpg on motorways at 60 mph, 20 ish on urban roads and 15 ish in Canterbury city, which I avoid like the plague, really powerful workhorse which I like alot, however as prices rise the cost of running is restricting our holidays so have nearly completed collecting all the parts I need to convert to an aaz diesel, sluggish in comparison but much better on the pocket.
Regards
Keith

“1.7diesel Leisuredrive T25”

Written on: 15/10/2012

I bought this vehicle as a 2 year old van with 28000 miles on it in 1987. I had it converted in Salford by Leisuredrive to a high-top but with 4 windows and no wardrobe, I also had a glass sunroof fitted instead of a mushroom vent. Both have proved wise decisions. The 1.6 Diesel 5 speed was fine in town, but patience was required on long journeys especially in Europe. The vehicle was used both as a car and holidays, no fridge or toilet, but Eberspacher D1LC Heater has been very reliable and has… Read Full Review

“1983 T25 Campervan. ”

Written on: 13/08/2012 by KeithJackson (1 review written)

Although the mileage is restricted for which the vehicle is fully comprehensively insured we are happy to have the cheaper option. The vehicle has a 1.6 diesel engine so it will never do excessive speeds and is essentially a pleasure vehicle. 2gether Insurance are providing satisfactory cover for our needs. I cannot give any opinion on having had a claim and hopefully will never need to make one. Contactability on the phone was good and do not forsee any trouble should I ever need to make… Read Full Review

“Quite an infectious vehicle! It grows on you and you...”

Written on: 10/10/2010

Quite an infectious vehicle! It grows on you and you become more and more attached. Its versatility as a camper is excellent and the tin top looks great lowered with a set of alloys.

Mine has the 1.9TD replacement newer engine which gives extra reliability. The driving position is high and all that glass gives great visibility. Power steering would have been a big plus and the gearbox is anything but refined, but there is a uniques pleasure in driving and camping in one of these. Research… Read Full Review

Nostalgic's Comment

Written on: 23/08/2012

Hi my name is Tony, can you please tel me when you say the gear box is anything but refined what do you mean. Ive been looking at one ( an F reg ) 1988/89 and found it a bit hard to get in gear.also they felt like they were round the wrong way . I normally drive an automatic for every day use and a Morris Minor for weekend fun and car show's so it may be just the point of getting used to it , its certainly not like anything i have driven before.
Thanks Tony.

Read 1 Comment

“We originaly set out to buy a T2(bay), but when we...”

Written on: 18/05/2009

We originaly set out to buy a T2(bay), but when we went to view some vans at RCC in N/Wales my wife noticed an 89 T25 Club Joker (Westfalia). She took one look inside (whilst I went over it with a fine tooth comb) and the baby became our pride and joy. Like most VW's, you have to make them your own, which means splashing out the cash a little. There is little point buying a VW if you don't want to stand out from the crowd when you get to the camp site. And once we had our girl re-sprayed, and… Read Full Review

“Hi, Mine is a 1990 Leisurehome Crusader. I bought it...”

Written on: 16/04/2009 by bornagain hippy (1 review written)

Hi, Mine is a 1990 Leisurehome Crusader. I bought it locally and privately here two years ago for £6,500 'As seen'. Although bodywork was o.k for its age, it had abviously been neglected mechanically (needed new clutch/steering linkage etc, plus a new Alternator, and last year I needed a new fuel tank and starter/solenoid unit. The Propex heater was sent back to them for an overhaul, and have now converted it to Calor gas as I refuse to pay the exhorbitant price for Camping Gaz (yeh, I know… Read Full Review

“The VW T25 is really nice, good driving position”

Written on: 13/04/2009

The VW T25 is really nice, good driving position… Read Full Review

“The VW T25 is good, cheap, easy to self maintain....”

Written on: 13/01/2009 by funat406 (2 reviews written)

The VW T25 is good, cheap, easy to self maintain. Great avaliabilty of spares. Good space.Looks cool when treated to a paint job.
T3 owners are usually not snobby chilled and having a great life without the HP, 65 is a good honest speed guv. A great all round bus… Read Full Review

Aarondawe's Response to funat406's Review

Written on: 09/10/2010

what an honest review from an obvious t25 driver i know you are right about the waving as i also drive a t25 for the last 12 years

Nikkinoo84's Response to funat406's Review

Written on: 28/08/2012

can you tell me if a 1.6 Turbo diesel engine in a T25 is reliable!! obviously i'm not after a racing van but reliable enough for camping adventures? :)
thanks

Read 2 Comments

“My Volkswagen T25 is an 1982 2l air cooled camper. The...”

Written on: 04/01/2009 by Kombi Dad (1 review written)

My Volkswagen T25 is an 1982 2l air cooled camper. The only real modifications to it has been raising it to the height of a synchro and fitting of a locking diff which has overcome my original bad points comments. I have covered about 300,000 kms in it in all kind of conditions in Australia and it has proven to be reliable with an almost go anywhere capability. On the later camping trips I have towed a 6X4 trailer which has proven a great benefit. Fuel consumption has been at about 23mpg at 95… Read Full Review

“Comfort and space - my 20 year old Westfalia pop-top...”

Written on: 07/11/2008 by Oz Wanderer (1 review written)

Comfort and space - my 20 year old Westfalia pop-top camper layout as good as it gets in design and quality. Has a style (much admired) lacking in newer vans. 1.6 TDI motor quiet, reliable, economical (30+mpg) and strong enough for most. Robust build, good ride, excellent driving position. Unlike larger vans, I can park this one anywhere. I bought my van in August 2008 and am now touring Europe in it. It looks very compact compared with the monstrous 'mobile homes' you see on most camp sites… Read Full Review

425407_Llamapup's Response to Oz Wanderer's Review

Written on: 15/12/2008

I found this review helpful because it was detailed, descriptive.

Read 1 Comment

“VW T25 Campervan Review”

Written on: 04/05/2005 by chrisray (7 reviews written)

VW T25 Campervan Review
I've only ever owned VW's, one reason for this is other VW users are always friendly, parts are easy to buy and cheap and as long as you look after yours you won't be selling for much less than you brought it for.

This is my third VW. I thought about buying a T2 baywindow but after getting into one of these it changed my mind! They're huge, considering the measurements. They're cheap..if you look at the other campervans, usually similiar year, milage and size you'll… Read Full Review

Terry Hobbs's Response to chrisray's Review

Written on: 02/09/2005

ive had my T25 for 4 years rust has been bad just paid for a respray , my wife wont let me sell we have grown to love it so much been everywere and never let us down. Going to spend more now on a new exhaust system . will it ever end ?

Arch81's Response to chrisray's Review

Written on: 30/12/2008

Hey Benny, what sort of mileage do you get? I'm looking at a 2.1 petrol myself, want to compare its running costs with a diesel

422573_Bennyt25's Response to chrisray's Review

Written on: 03/12/2008

Hey, I bought my t25 from the net, 1987 2.1 petrol. I paid £650 for it, and drove it home all the way to the east midlands from Salisbury, Devon way! Was amazed, not a rocket, but a great trip home. A little skeptical as it was dark when I picked it up, but I found it's a diamond in the rough! It has a couple of dents here and there, but ran sweet as a nut; never missed a beat and it had been stood for over 3 months before I took it home! It could do with some work but the beauty behind this van is that it's like a blank canvas, so easily it can be transformed into whatever I want! Hence, I've started, and it's just such a great roomy space to work in, a bit of a Tardis really! I've created a nifty double hammock bed which providing it works, I will let you all in on soon!

209935_Igi's Response to chrisray's Review

Written on: 12/09/2005

Couldn't agree more having owned a T1 And a T2 I will safely say that the T3 I own now is by far the best. They are so much more solidly put together and thus need far less money spent on them and besides being built like tanks make me happy everytime I take my 3 boys surfing down Wollacombe. Look out for us. Registration begins EAR.... SURFSUP DUDES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! etc

Read 4 Comments

“The VW T25 is a fab van, well worth the money and we...”

Written on: 02/05/2005 by woodruff (1 review written)

The VW T25 is a fab van, well worth the money and we would recommend the VW T25 to anyone who was considering purchasing one. It has a Good, sturdy body, after owning a 21 year old model we are more than chuffed with it.
Spacious, comfortable and easy to keep clean inside and out. Smooth ride and very, very reliable… Read Full Review

“The VW T25 Campervan is a great vehicle, nothing quite...”

Written on: 04/11/2004 by HarryMann (1 review written)

The VW T25 Campervan is a great vehicle, nothing quite like it exists today, many feel VW made a big mistake dropping it for a copy of a Ford Transit. The last of the classic VW bus/van/pickups, the T25 camper is based on a 3rd generation rear-engined layout, and very mature, other than its powerplants. Frequently re-engined with VW TDI diesels, Audi 5-cyl and Subaru flat-four petrols, it's then as good as a perfect compact camper as one would wish.
The 4WD Syncro versions are still in a class… Read Full Review