Potterton Envoy 80 Reviews

Potterton Envoy 80 - Ask a question now

“Potterton Envoy 40 ”

Written on: 12/10/2015 by MichaelThomas (1 review written)

Have owned an Envoy 40 since they first came out around 15 years ago - it has been as good as any other boilers I have heard about, During that time there has been some replacements the biggest being the Control Unit and the ignitors seem to last about four years also usually replace the flame sensor at the same time, had one temperature sensor and the rubber gaskets replaced each time and during servicing which I do - just a hoover out of the debris so I would consider this to be a pretty… Read Full Review

“Our potterton is the ENVOY 60, same as 80. It is now...”

Written on: 14/01/2010

Our potterton is the ENVOY 60, same as 80. It is now 13 years old. In that time possibly 15 breakdowns. Replacement control cards, new fire box, leaks. Most repair men struggle to deal with it. The most unreliable bit of equipment we have owned. Broke down Frozen Saturday, fixed Frozen Wednesday throwing FAULT every hour since requiring reset. Scrappage YES, and Soon… Read Full Review

Slimty's Comment

Written on: 17/02/2014

As the unfortunate owner of a Potterton Envoy 60 I can only agree that it is the most unreliable piece of equipment I have ever had. It is the Austin Princess of boilers. It goes wrong every winter,without fail, and has almost every part renewed more than once. It is going in the skip as soon as I can afford to replace it. It is also 14 years old, and the bane of Gas contractors everywhere. I wish I had never seen it.

Cm49's Comment

Written on: 27/05/2014

As a gas installer in the late 1990s I installed three Envoys, Pottertons first condensing (or High Efficiency as they liked to call it).
All three failed within 18 months with heat exchanger issues. The O-rings between the exchanger castings failed and allowed condensate into the burner causing rapid corrosion of all associated components. Potterton inspected and declared fit all three boilers but they failed with similar or associated problems repeatedly. I took Baxi (Potterton had just be taken over) to court but they threw top legal experts at the case and I lost on a technicality. Don't buy Potterton.

Read 2 Comments

“Our Potterton Envoy 80 seems as troublesome aas...”

Written on: 13/01/2010

Our Potterton Envoy 80 seems as troublesome aas everyone elses and there are numerous forum discussions covering similar problems. Most of these like our problem, are not water leakage, but failure to hold its light once ignited from pilot. This usually results in error message F which suggests loss of gas pressure. Other people have replaced igniters and sensors.

So a pretty poor product. Shame as you want ot buy british… Read Full Review

“To say that this boiler has been problematical would...”

Written on: 28/12/2009

To say that this boiler has been problematical would be a considerable understatement. It has been unreliable from new and just about everything bar the case has been replaced at least once over the 12 years I've had it. I fitted it because it was recommended by British Gas and because of Potterton's good name. Bad mistake. I've had to take out BG's Homecare service since it came off warranty and made a 'profit' on it every single year. The BG engineers are a great bunch (I'm on first name… Read Full Review

Slimty's Comment

Written on: 17/02/2014

My experience is mirrored by yours, I have had almost everything replaced on the 60, it breaks down as regular as clockwork every winter,and a couple of times in the Summer for good measure, the BG engineers dread it, and are about to wash their hands of the whole thing, we have more than got our moneys worth from our Service contract, there were 4 of them here in one day,each clutching replacement parts and this is truly the Austin Princess of boilers. Finally agreed to take BGs money of voucher and swap it for a Worcester next month. I will be glad to see the back of it.

Read 1 Comment
☆☆☆☆☆

“We bought a house in 2000 with a new Potterton Envoy...”

Written on: 09/02/2009 by anotherbaldrick (2 reviews written)

We bought a house in 2000 with a new Potterton Envoy 80 condensing boiler installed. Within 12 months water seemed to ingressing and appeared to be dripping out the bottom of the boiler casing. In the last 8 years I think nearly everything has been replaced on ours, some things twice or more (PCB, fan, burner, flame sensor, igniter, ) it has now failed again and the engineers are at a loss as to what the problem is this time… Read Full Review

Slimty's Response to anotherbaldrick's Review

Written on: 17/02/2014

Welcome to the club. Putting mine in the skip after 14 years of rubbish product.

Read 1 Comment