Benenden Healthcare Health Insurance Reviews

• Customer service

Benenden Healthcare Health Insurance - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Benenden Healthcare Health Insurance

Benenden Healthcare Health Insurance

“Benenden Meaning of Discretionery Service”

Written on: 30/09/2017 by Vanessas496 (1 review written)

I contacted Benenden as I was having problems with my foot. I received treatment through Benenden for a similar treatment a few years ago I was gobsmacked to be told that the code my consultant gave me for the operation I needed was not covered by Benenden.I asked for an explanation and to speak to somebody who could explain this to me I was told it was a discretionary service and they could not treat everything. To cut a long and very frustrating story short I explained that their advertising… Read Full Review

“WONDERFUL SERVICE”

Written on: 23/06/2017 by HOWIE13 (1 review written)

My wife suddenly started having twice weekly torrential nose bleeds, which were lasting a lot longer than the 20 minutes you are allowed before going to hospital. She reached the stage she was fearful to go out of the house and having panic attacks. Her GP arranged an appointment for her to be seen at the NHS hospital ENT clinic, but the waiting time was about 12 weeks. We contacted Benenden who, without hesitation, agreed for her to be seen at a local private hospital that same week, where… Read Full Review

“ a member for nearly 25 years”

Written on: 13/05/2017 by 1963Moss (1 review written)

I have no desire to jump through hoops or 'beg' for help at a time of already heightened stress. Nor do I wish to harass the GP again for a 'date' of a likely consultation. Having read previous comments it seems that its a common experience and not one that Benenden should be proud of. On a positive note the staff were polite in their refusals, if that makes it any better. I cancelled my membership. Enough said. No reply needed… Read Full Review

“Obstructive Bureaucracy”

Written on: 07/04/2017 by rotnac7 (1 review written)

My wife & I have been members of Benenden for about 7 years. Our GP recently referred my wife who needed a gastroscopy. This was the first occasion that we had ever tried to use Benenden. Like so many others we got the brush off with a standard letter which was not appropriate to her situation. I believe that Bendenden currently do a lot of work for the NHS under contract. I suspect that, in striving to meet the needs of the NHS, it has taken its eye off the ball as regards meeting the needs… Read Full Review

“Not the Benenden of Old”

Written on: 24/03/2017 by BarnyR (1 review written)

In 2007 Beneden paid for me to see a local dermatologist when I needed an urgent assessment of a growth. Now, despite a history of skin cancers, they will only offer me an appointment with a dermatologist at their hospital in Kent. By the time I have paid for rail fares I am probably no better off. Plus it will take up much of the day for what might be less than 15 minutes of the consultant's time. I approached Benenden by email. They sent me a letter not with a reply, but asking me to ring… Read Full Review

Benendenuk's Response to BarnyR's Review

Written on: 28/03/2017

We're sorry to hear that you have decided to cancel your Benenden membership. We've passed on your feedback regarding your telephone experience so that this can be considered properly.

Regarding your appointment at Benenden Hospital. We ask members who live within a two-hour car journey time of Benenden Hospital to attend there for appointments, where appropriate and available. This supports the hospital’s development, ensures that facilities are utilised effectively and supports cost efficiency, which in turn enables us to maximise our resources for the benefit of all members.

“DISCRETIONARY”

Written on: 21/03/2017 by chessmachine (18 reviews written)

DISCRETIONARY is the key word. My family were let down by the NHS twice ; once when I was exposed to Whooping cough and they would not give me the vaccine and secondly with my wife whom has a brain tumour and the NHS are incompetent in commissioning an MRI scan to their own guidelines. Both times Benenden stated they could not help as they offered a DISCRETIONARY service and also they are ALLOWED up to 8 weeks to escalate an appeal. To my mind I have been a fool paying three memberships for… Read Full Review

Benendenuk's Response to chessmachine's Review

Written on: 22/03/2017

Whilst we are unable to discuss the particulars of a case in a public forum such as this, we are sorry this member is unhappy with Benenden being unable to support them on these occasions.

The Benenden Healthcare Society Limited is not a private medical insurer and the service offered to members is not an insured product. Our contribution rate is comparatively low in order to offer an affordable alternative to private medical insurance.

Our services are not guaranteed and we use our discretion to decide what services to offer our members. Being a member of the Society gives members eligibility to request our assistance, but does not guarantee that support will be authorised. Because our services are funded entirely by membership contributions so we must apply limits to the support we offer.

Benenden is regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA). The FCA sets out certain obligations on how complaints are handled, which includes a requirement for complainants to receive a final written response to their complaint within 8 weeks. The Society’s internal Complaints Procedure outlines that we aim to respond within 20 working days and in the majority of cases, we are able to do so.

Best wishes, the Benenden team.

Howie13's Response to chessmachine's Review

Written on: 04/07/2017

I always thought you had to be immunised before exposure to diseases, not after exposure, except where you are given antibodies like with Rabies, but I don't think that's the case with Whooping Cough. I'm no expert though.

Read 2 Comments

“Don't waste your money”

Written on: 24/01/2017 by B7ENDAN (1 review written)

Was referred back in April and after 8 months I am no closer to a diagnosis so it has been a wasted experience and I got landed with a £600 recently. In the time I attended Nuffield hospital on referal from Beneden/BUPA I had two MRI scans, a blood test and was passed between two consultants as they couldn't determine the diagnosis. At no time was I given cost of each examination or consultancy. So was greeted at Xmas with a bill for over £600. Turns out I had reached my maximum in August… Read Full Review

Benendenuk's Response to B7ENDAN's Review

Written on: 25/01/2017

Hi,

We do provide guidance to members using our services to try to avoid the circumstances which you describe. We’re sorry that you have been disappointed with your experience this time and that you have decided to cancel your membership.

“Discretionary heath product”

Written on: 28/11/2016 by jrw1234 (1 review written)

The three words above are the most important wording in the scheme, the staff you talk to tell you they are not medically trained and have you chasing round on the phone to prove the consultant you have been refered to fits there criteria, if you manage to do this suddenly the staff know lots of confusing medical terms for you to go back to the consultant with again. You become a pest to everybody trying to qualify for the help you thought was available. Waste of time and money should have… Read Full Review

Benendenuk's Response to jrw1234's Review

Written on: 30/11/2016

Benenden is proud of its commitment to high quality customer service and continually reviews its training of advisers to ensure that all members are treated fairly and equally. This is monitored through a regular tracker of member experience.

Unfortunately, occasionally a member’s experience may fall short of expectations so we’d like the opportunity to discuss your experience in more detail. We do value feedback from our members as this can help us to make improvements.

Hoodoogirl's Response to jrw1234's Review

Written on: 15/01/2017

Gosh, was going to use this company for my family but having seen the reviews on this website and another review site, I have decided against using them.

Hoodoogirl's Response to jrw1234's Review

Read 3 Comments

“Change of catchment area”

Written on: 28/11/2016 by jojo001 (1 review written)

My family and I have been members of Benenden Healthcare for over ten years. Their purpose is to provide quick diagnostic consultations if the NHS waiting time is over a couple of weeks. We live in North London and in the past any diagnostics we have needed have been provided in Central London, half an hour away. The last time I called them, I was told they had changed their policy and because they claim we live within 1.5hrs of their hospital in Benenden, Kent, in future we would have to… Read Full Review

Benendenuk's Response to jojo001's Review

Written on: 30/11/2016

We’re sorry that we were unable to resolve your concerns to your satisfaction and that you have decided to cancel your family’s membership. The feedback that you provided to us has been noted and will be considered during future service reviews.

“Snowballing downhill”

Written on: 22/11/2016 by BrielleDevine (1 review written)

This used to be a company you could trust and have faith in. But they have changed all their internal procedures because now anyone can buy a policy. The change is not good! It is very bad! From the start of the call, you are asked excessive security questions. Enough to put you at risk should those details be misused. And you have no way of knowing who you are talking to and what they could do with your information. This is a very significant risk. The rest of the service is arbitrary and… Read Full Review

Written on: 24/11/2016

Hi, we're sorry that you feel our security checks at the start of telephone calls are excessive, the reason they exist is in order to protect both the Society and its members. The purpose of such checks are to ensure that we have accessed the correct membership record and check that the details we hold on file are current and up to date.

Such checks are not uncommon and are required under the Data Protection Act, to prevent sensitive information or case details being disclosed to the wrong individual. This is a responsibility that we take very seriously.

Read 1 Comment

“No help at all. Waste of money.”

Written on: 21/11/2016 by MylaHahn (1 review written)

Saw my GP who diagnosed sciatica. The GP told me there was an 8 to 10 week wait to see a consultant. So rang Benenden who refused to help me as I had not seen a consultant. Work that one out. This after 32 years membership and having personally never used them before. Don't waste your money. Used to be good in the old days now more interested in flogging you extremely expensive travel insurance and other rubbish… Read Full Review

Written on: 22/11/2016

We’re sorry to hear you have been disappointed with your recent contact with us. It is unusual for us to decline support for a member to see a specialist so we’d like the opportunity to discuss your experience in more detail. If you would like to discuss your concerns with an adviser, please call us. We are open 8am till 8pm, Monday to Friday.

Jeffburn's Comment

Written on: 22/11/2016

What's to discuss. I asked for help you refused. 32 years of payments, that is half my life. When you employed a known felon as a finance manager who then embezzled millions from you were you as severe on him. Did the staff responsible for this resign. No you kept on taking my money, never told me about this. Now I need your help its little man runaway to hell.

Jeffburn's Comment

Written on: 22/11/2016

What's to discuss. I asked for your help, you declined. 32 years of membership, that's half my life, Over 1.2 million pounds defrauded from Benenden by a known felon. Says it all. Goodbye.

Howie13's Comment

Written on: 23/06/2017

I had several weeks of sciatica but my GP recommended physio rather than seeing a Consultant. Waiting time for physio in my area on NHS is 22 weeks which was useless as I could only walk 50 yards without pain so contacted Benenden. They immediately arranged for their physio to phone me. She diagnosed the cause of my sciatica and gave me exercises which solved the problem in a week.

Hoodoogirl's Comment

Read 5 Comments

“Save your money”

Written on: 29/10/2016 by Iggymeister (1 review written)

I was a member for a number of years, in my experience on the few occasions that I sought assistance for myself or a family member Benenden Health Care were unwilling to assist. The monthly payments are low, but if assistance is never available its wasted money… Read Full Review

Benendenuk's Response to Iggymeister's Review

Written on: 04/11/2016

We're sorry to hear that we were unable to assist you on the occasions you made a request to Benenden. It’s not clear what you were requesting and whether these were available through Benenden membership, but we do work hard to provide a fair and equitable service to all members.

Iggymeister's reply to Benendenuk's Comment

Written on: 05/11/2016

I was requesting medical assistance due to long NHS waiting times - the response was always the same NO. As soon as the phone calls were answered I sensed the representative was trying to find reasons why assistance would not be offered rather than trying to help. Benenden advertise "your health and wellbeing comes first" not in my experience - maybe you should change to "your wealth and monthly premiums come first"
Best wishes, ex member.

Hoodoogirl's Response to Iggymeister's Review

Read 3 Comments

“Superb care”

Written on: 20/10/2016 by Harringtondz337 (1 review written)

My daughter (aged 20) accessed consultation and surgical services through Benenden. Everyone involved in her care recognised that she was nervous but at all times she was treated with courtesy and respect. All processes were slick and efficient and the experience was excellent. This organisation provides low cost affordable care and cannot provide all clinical services for its members but it does an amazing job. If you want a contractual arrangement where services are guaranteed then this is… Read Full Review

Written on: 24/10/2016

Thank you for your kind words about our service, we're very glad we were able to assist your daughter and hope she is well.

We are very proud of our low cost, affordable care and the fact that what members pay each month will not increase due to their age or medical profile. This is the essence of our mutual, not-for-profit ethos.

Best wishes, the Benenden team.

“Poor service”

Written on: 15/10/2016 by Cochranevy1992 (1 review written)

Have had several health issues but evert time I have spoken to Beneden there has always been some reason as to why they could not offer treatment. It seems if you are on the board you get private treatment on par to Bupa (I know this as someone I knew, who has now past on, had care second to none although they were being treated via the NHS originally). They work on the scare factor, take your money and then run under the umbrella of rules, regulations and hoops not to give the treatment… Read Full Review

Written on: 18/10/2016

As an organisation that’s proud of its commitment to high quality customer service, we’re very sorry to hear that you felt you have not received the same service as other members would. We do have a complaints procedure that members can pursue if they feel their case has not been handled fairly and equally. This process also helps us to identify ways we might be able to improve our customer service in future.

We work hard to provide a fair and equitable service to all members, although our personal healthcare services are discretionary. In 2015, we were able to say ‘yes’ to members 96,065 times in response to requests for our services.

Other readers of this review might like to review some stories where we were able to help members.

Hoodoogirl's Comment

Written on: 15/01/2017

Thanks for your helpful review - Won't use this company for me or my family now.

Read 2 Comments

“Waste of money”

Written on: 05/10/2016 by Bryant234 (1 review written)

The service is not what it used to be. I was very happy with their service until end of 2015. Since, communicating with them is very frustrating and a waste of time. I would not recommend them to anybody anymore. … Read Full Review

Written on: 06/10/2016

Read 1 Comment

“PAY INTO A SAVINGS ACCOUNT FOR HEALTHCARE NOT BENENDEN”

Written on: 31/08/2016 by roscogemini (1 review written)

I have been a member of Benenden Healthcare for 18 years and over the past few years the "service" they provide is anything but helpful. In their unwanted mail shots they claim "One Less thing to worry about" "There are enough pressures and stresses in life every day. Getting the healthcare your family needs doesn't have to be one of them". REALLY!!!!!! I was stressed by excruciating back pain radiating down my leg and into my hip, being awakened night after night by the pain and not being… Read Full Review

Benendenuk's Response to roscogemini's Review

Written on: 02/09/2016

I’m really sorry our service fell short of your expectations. I do understand the stress that health concerns can cause, and know that trying to find the right help can add to it. We always strive to provide a high quality and caring service for our members, so would like to talk through your experience so that any feedback can help us improve. Would you like a call to talk through this?

Read 1 Comment

“Like wading through treacle trying to get anywhere ”

Written on: 25/08/2016 by 145Holmes (1 review written)

I reiterate what everyone else is saying, Benenden is certainly not what it used to be. Not so long ago, you had the reassurance of knowing your membership gave you peace of mind. If NHS waiting lists were long, you could rely on them to step in and they did offer an excellent service. Now it's like wading through treacle trying to get anywhere with them and on my last visits I just feel I am being fobbed off, given a minimal service, and basically referred back to the NHS. I have been a… Read Full Review

Written on: 30/08/2016

We are sorry to hear that you are unhappy with your experience of our services. We'd like to discuss your experience in more detail but unfortunately cannot discuss cases via this website. But if you’d like to talk further, please do email or phone us.

Best wishes, Benenden

Read 1 Comment

“I had a bowel problem and was referred to a NHS...”

Written on: 21/07/2016 by charlesrbooth (1 review written)

I had a bowel problem and was referred to a NHS hospital by my GP. They gave me a brief Gastroscopy and Endoscopy within a week, telling me that the results were negative. A letter followed saying that I would need to be admitted for a CT scan. There was a minimum 6 weeks waiting list for the CT scans so - as I had Benenden Insurance - I called them up and explained all this, reading the hospital letter to them. They said that I was covered and gave me a list of BMI hospitals to go to (Benenden… Read Full Review

Benendenuk's Response to charlesrbooth's Review

Written on: 05/08/2016

We are sorry to hear that you are unhappy with your experience of our services. We'd like to discuss your experience in more detail but unfortunately cannot discuss cases via this website. But if you’d like to talk further, please email or phone us.

Best wishes, Benenden

Read 1 Comment

“Benenden has changed, not for the better”

Written on: 06/06/2016 by AlonsoOlson123 (1 review written)

My family have been members for 25 years. In the past the service was excellent and, considering the limitations of the cover offered for the price, you got a good deal, efficiently provided. Although I have not used the main service for some years we do have their CASH PLAN for dental/optical and other coverage. This plan replaced a more limited dental only plan from another provider and seemed good value. Unfortunately Benenden have got into bed with BUPA since they went more commercial… Read Full Review

“When you need help put up obstacles.....”

Written on: 15/04/2016 by 148Henderson (1 review written)

I have been a member for 30 years and only ever used them twice. I have serious NHS delays in treating a chronic back problem and because I cannot supply the type of consultant they cannot do anything. I have a letter from my GP and a NHS hospital referral letter but this is still not enough. When I asked that my membership be cancelled they did that without any apologies or issues. No effort made in trying to retain a long standing customer. I shall go elsewhere then… Read Full Review