The AA Driving School, nationwide UK Reviews

The AA Driving School, nationwide UK - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for The AA Driving School, nationwide UK

“Driving test results”

Written on: 01/12/2022

I have just passed my driving test, she is a wonderful driving instructor, she is very supportive and encouraging. She will make sure you are rest ready! I highly recommend booking with her! She works with the AA driving school

“Amazing instructor”

Written on: 27/11/2022

I was initially extremely nervous about driving but I was determined to get my license. Thankfully I had an amazing instructor (Farideh) who pushed me to do my best. She's so honest, encouraging and motivating, always putting me at ease. She would constantly reassure me and towards my exam date she would ensure that I have the necessary requirements to make sure I pass. I wouldn't have been able to pass my exam without her. I am really grateful for her.

Written on: 28/11/2022

Congratulations on the pass!
Thanks so much for sharing your experience, safe driving :-)

“Fabulous instructor”

Written on: 08/11/2022 by Ibim (1 review written)

I booked driving lessons in West London. I met my instructor Farideh and it felt like she was Godsent. Very supportive and patient from the first day. Lessons were adjusted around my work schedule. She was always punctual and communicated well in advance if any changes. Towards my test, we put in extra work, speaking on the phone and preparing for the show me tell me questions. We had some intense mock test sessions and she pushed me for success. On the day of test I was a nervous wreck and she kept reassuring me and she was confident that I would pass… I did pass. I’m really grateful to her. She is one of a kind.

The Aa's Response to Ibim's Review

Written on: 09/11/2022

Awe Ibim, we're so pleased to hear you passed on the first try. A HUGE well done to you. We're blown away by this review and will pass on your lovely feedback to Farideh

Read 1 Comment

“Lying instructors lessons cancelled for contradicting...”

Written on: 20/10/2022 by RonanMcCulloch (1 review written)

I booked lessons through this service and got a phone call from my instructor "Petor Balloch" to confirm my lessons were going ahead and that the area that he covers isn't my test area but that wasn't a problem, until the next day when I received emails saying all my lessons were cancelled for the reason that we agreed wasn't a problem so the instructor lied straight up to me personally, do not trust them if you need the lessons.

Written on: 22/10/2022

Hi Ronan, we're sorry about the mix-up with lessons and would like to help reschedule them. Please contact our Live Chat team via our website so we can help.

“AVOID FOR YOUR SANITY ”

Written on: 06/10/2022 by DBEE2022 (1 review written)

1. Driver cancelled last minute twice, didn't pitch for a session. 2. Impossible to speak to a real person to resolve anything 3. Live chat unable to process refund because system wont allow it - We need to try again in a few days because they are too busy Rather find a good local instructor...

The Aa's Response to DBEE2022's Review

Written on: 07/10/2022

Sorry to hear you have been disappointed. We hope you've managed to speak with the live chat agents again, to get this resolved.

Portiabarker's Response to DBEE2022's Review

Written on: 10/10/2022

Had a similar experience. Instructor cancelled first lesson due to covid. Better by the next day but turned up over 20 mins late and finished 15 mins early. Day three he turned up 15 minutes late for first lesson of the day. I asked if he was going to finish the lesson 15 minutes late. My son got in the car with him and they returned very shortly as instructed said he was unable to continue under the circumstances. He incorrectly said I was rude to him and that my son was too upset to carry on with the lesson. I would like a ful refund for the missing 2 hour lesson. AA have said no. I can only spread the word and tell others to avoid.

Read 2 Comments

“Noella Gibbs cancelled lessons 3 times with short notice”

Written on: 25/08/2022

Purchased 6 hours with the instructor Noella Gibbs. She cancelled my first lessons shortly after booking, then cancelled another one a day before and the last time I booked a lesson, she cancelled 10 minutes after the lesson was supposed to start. I had to speak to the AA support, and I think the only reason she cancelled last time was because they woke her up. While I was looking for her in the heavy rain like a dork. Requested a refund and will never use AA again.

Written on: 25/08/2022

We're really sorry to hear about your experience and hope you have since managed to speak with our live chat team so this can be looked into and fed back. They are available Mon-Fri 9am until 5pm.

Read 1 Comment

“Terrible service cancelled lessons no notice”

Written on: 20/08/2022 by SherlynFlanagan487 (1 review written)

Cancelled lessons last minute time after time only managed 1 lesson out of 5 booked absolute waste of time no apologies no telephone number to call as web chat only Instructors don't have to answer to anyone so take the p The only lesson I had was a waste of time 2hr lesson and the instructor drove for 1 hr 20 minutes he took me on rds that had clear Rd closure signs very disappointed with the lack of professionalism and lack of respect for other people's time and money now I have the struggle of getting a refund through no fault of my own I really did try I desperately wanted lessons and made every effort to rebook just to have them cancelled within hour of lesson or even after the lesson was due to start

Written on: 25/08/2022

Hi, we're sorry to read this. Please click to chat with an advisor and they can help arrange a refund. They are available Mon-Fri 9am until 5pm.

Read 1 Comment

“Waste your time and money, and take risks with the AA :)”

Written on: 17/08/2022 by Darienk473 (1 review written)

Honestly, I wish I could put 0 stars. Been with the AA from March to August, I've booked lessons every week but only actually got to drive 3 times. Yes, that's 3 lessons in 6 months. I've had multiple instructors, all cancelling lessons 30min ahead of time. I've had to take time off work or arrange work to go around these driving lessons and they kept cancelling without notice, as I get ready to get out of my home, pretty much. I've not received any compensation or refund for this. Waste your money at will with the AA. In addition to this, one of my instructors lost their license as I was about to get into a driving lesson with them. Go with the AA at your own risk. Finally, out of the 3 lessons, one of them, my instructor was 1h late and hadn't even checked where to pick me up. I need to pass my license soon as I will be moving out of the country and they've just wasted my time and put me in great difficulty. In addition, to not answering my complaints/sending me a refund.

Written on: 17/08/2022

Hi there, we're sorry to hear this. Please connect with our Live Chat so we can look into it and help.

Read 1 Comment

“Terrible customer service + no refund.”

Written on: 01/08/2022 by 496Murdock (1 review written)

On Fri 8th July I changed driving instructors (purely temporarily as my instructor was away on holiday for an extended period of time - other than that he was brilliant). I tried to book lessons with a new instructor but the system said I had no credit left (I should have had 6 hours).I was then told that I had been refunded for the remaining 6hrs lessons I had left (I have not received this money). I tried to top up with 4 hours in the mean time but my account is saying I have -2 hours in credit. In short I have now paid for 14 hours of driving lessons in total and have only used 4, but it is saying I have -2. I have asked numerous times where the refund is and I still haven't received it. I can't book any lessons as my account is stuck on -2 hours meaning I haven't been able to have a lesson for over a month. I have logged a complaint and heard nothing back. The last person on chat told me I needed to go to my bank to resolve the issue (which I have now done) and left the chat before answering my question. I am now owed a serious amount of money and have lost all trust in this driving school which is a shame as my instructor was really good.

Written on: 08/08/2022

Hi there, we'd like to help with this refund. Please contact us via our Live chat team which can be found on our website or through our other social media channels.

Tvsu's Comment

Written on: 23/09/2022

I am going through a similar turmoil. First, they increased the price I pay per hour from £30 to £40 without letting me know (I had to keep booking lessons though as I had a test coming up). Then, after I passed my test, I had 8 hours left in credit. I have not been refunded despite numerous emails and messages I sent. And now the credit owed to me has disappeared from the system while I still haven't received a refund from them.

Read 2 Comments

“Unable to get refund or reply to complaint”

Written on: 24/07/2022 by stevenlant49 (1 review written)

My partner took driving lessons with AA Driving School in Stevenage. On two occasions the instructor asked to change lesson at short notice to accommodate another student for their driving test, which was ok. When it came to my partner’s test the instructor said he couldn’t change lessons to accommodate her. We had to make our own arrangements for a car & qualified driver for the test. We had paid for 6 more hours. We had to complain 3 times to get a refund, but only received 2 hours back with no explanation. All our complaints since June have been ignored, despite using their complaints procedure which says they have high standards. Will have to go court for the money, AA should look in the gutter for their standards - disgusting service!

The Aa's Response to stevenlant49's Review

Written on: 25/07/2022

Hi, sorry to see you feel this way, we have up to 8 weeks to look into and resolve a complaint, but we'll always do our best to get it sorted sooner. Each new one you log, will add on additional time to the process. Our Customer Solutions team will be in touch as soon as they've reached a final response.

Written on: 26/07/2022

What a poor response. My initial complaint was a request for help for a driving test that was a week away. What use is having to wait 8 weeks? I have had no acknowledgement to ANY of my emails & messages, as far as I know they haven’t even been read! Obviously the AA having taken our money has lost interest in a customer, perhaps someone will have the gumption to actually look at my complaints & help with my refund. My final transaction was to cancel 3 pre-paid double lessons & re-book one double lesson. Surely that means I’m owed for 2 double lessons, not particularly hard to check. Nothing can be done for letting us down for the driving test but an acknowledgment of your failings would have gone a long way instead of ignoring us. Totally disappointed ☹️

The Aa's reply to Stevenlant49's Comment

Written on: 27/07/2022

You can log a request for help through our Live chat team instead of logging a complaint and having to wait for us to follow the processes set out for that. The Customer Solutions team will be dealing with them in the order they come in and will get back to you as soon as possible. Refunds can be processed through the app, or again through Live chat.

Written on: 27/07/2022

Hello. I’m not being awkward, but I tried the chat team before I made my complaint. I explained that the AA app didn’t show all my lessons as my instructor changed a fee to suit his needs & rebooked some. I asked the chat agent to provide a full log of the bookings, changes & cancellations but she said I should speak to my instructor. I left two messages for him but he never replied. I tried chat line again & the agent said she couldn’t help. You will have a record of these chat exchanges if you check. I am happy to discuss but my experience so far is one of pure frustration. If you really want to help, please contact me or provide the means for me to contact you. I am sure this can be resolved if you are genuine about your standards.

The Aa's reply to Stevenlant49's Comment

Written on: 28/07/2022

We don't have enough details from your username to look into it from here, and we're unable to provide contact info details through this site. Our Customer Solutions team will be in touch when they've looked into your complaints.

Written on: 11/08/2022

Here we are two weeks later & still no reply - Obviously the management team at AA couldn’t run a bath, let alone a company. Worst customer relations I’ve ever seen!! USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!

Read 6 Comments

“Excellent driving instructor from the AA”

Written on: 23/06/2022 by Vudoo25 (1 review written)

I have been learning with the AA instructor. I can honestly say he has been Excellent with his teachings. I have a test soon, and I'm very confident in passing 1st time, thanks to my instructor Abdulagafoor. I can't thank him enough and I recommend him highly for anyone learning to drive in thr Bletchley area

The Aa's Response to Vudoo25's Review

Written on: 27/06/2022

Hi Vu, we're delighted to hear how helpful Abdulagafoor is and wish you the best of luck for your driving test.

“Lazy ”

Written on: 03/06/2022 by CAB009 (1 review written)

Your experience of the AA driving school will depend very much on your instrutor. Unfortunately, my son's was lazy. We started using him for a test that was booked 5 months ahead. We reminded him of the date of the test all the way through but he failed to prepare my son for the test. In 38 hours of lessons, he didn't use a Sat Nav once. He didn't do any practice tests or take my son through the format of the test. We had to drive 40 minutes to drop my son outside his front door. He refused to meet us in another area of Oxford.

The Aa's Response to CAB009's Review

Written on: 03/06/2022

Hi there, we're sorry you've been left disappointed. Our instructors will plan lessons that are designed to flex around individual needs and set a pace that suits you. Our instructors will have the areas where they teach, and can always contact us if things change and you need to change instructors. If there's anything we can help with, please don't hesitate to use the live chat on our website.

Cab009's reply to The Aa's Comment

Written on: 03/06/2022

I contacted you over a week ago to ask for a refund for our credit because we weren't happy. You didn't reply and didn't give us a refund. I would appreciate your help with this.

And just to clarify, we weren't asking the driving instructor to meet outside his area. He was an Oxford instructor and we were driving from Wallingford to Oxford to meet him. We wanted to meet at the Sainsbury's carpark as we drive into Oxford (this is an area covered by the driving test routes). However, he insisted that we drive on through Oxford traffic to the street by his house. I used to wait here at the end of the lesson but he never dropped my son back at my car. He used to drop him off in a neighbouring street and leave him to find his way back to me, even when it was raining or dark. This is why I titled my review 'Lazy'.

Read 2 Comments

“Excellent driving instructor ”

Written on: 27/05/2022 by Kez07 (1 review written)

My rating is based on the excellent teaching I received from my instructor Shahid. Initally I was a nervous driver, but my instructor was great at building my confidence. My instructor was patient and gave me clear insructions regarding driving techniques. During my lessons my instructor pointed out sections of the test routes where students failed so I could practice.At the end of each lesson, he would give me feedback on my driving and we'd discus areas to focus on for the next lesson. He was punctial, kept a clean car, responsive to my messages and accomdated my requests when booking lessons. I would highly recommend my instructor and have become a more confident drive because of his teaching. Thank you!

The Aa's Response to Kez07's Review

Written on: 28/05/2022

We're over the moon reading this Kez, so chuffed Shahid was able to help so much. Thanks for your feedback :).

Read 1 Comment

“Stay away this company if you value your time and money”

Written on: 11/05/2022 by caglars (1 review written)

Purchased a 4 hours lesson but they only gave me 2 hours. Called their stupid customer service phone number and stayed on the line for 45 minutes, no answer. Sent them a bunch of emails, but no answer.Used their stupid website to sent messages, but still no answer. They are the worst.

The Aa's Response to caglars's Review

Written on: 11/05/2022

Hi, all our advisors are working remotely now. They are available online between Mon-Fri 9am and 5pm. Please click to chat on our website so we can get this looked into straight away.

Caglars's reply to The Aa's Comment

Written on: 11/05/2022

I did use your website and you did not respond to me. Also, why don't you let customers know about working remotely so that they can know that none of the numbers you provide on your website is responsive?????

Read 2 Comments

“Catastrophic service and instructors ”

Written on: 10/05/2022 by Gentrycm1994 (1 review written)

Manchester - AA absolutely appalling service. The first driving instructor's vehicle broke down during the second lesson I had to get an UBER back to the location. The second instructor canceled the lesson the same day due to illness. Then kept canceling in favor of other students. The lessons finally started consistently for five weeks sometime two lessons a week then they advise during a lesson I must look for another instructor because the pickup location is not convenient for them. The third instructor did not show up for two lessons and advised the AA that they did point-blank lying. I have a test booked in July 2022 I am no further along despite persevering with the company for seven months since November 2021. The customer service never responds to emails the online chat function is very often not available there are glitches in the system that give incorrect available hours and calculate refunds due @£8 per hour instead of the actual amount of £29 per hour. Advisors state that there isn't anything they can do because instructors are self-employed they always side with the view of the instructor instead of the facts or maintaining the balance of customer service with the student/client. There are many more issues I have experienced firsthand over several months all of which amount to poor inadequate lack of professionalism.

Written on: 11/05/2022

Hi, we're sorry to hear you've been left feeling this way and hope you've since managed to contact the Customer service team. The quickest way to log this is via the online chat team so this can be looked into. They are available Mon-Fri 9am until 5pm.

“Appalling service.”

Written on: 03/05/2022 by Craigr12 (1 review written)

Do not use AA!! You will month gaps in between your lessons which I kind of understand due to backlog of covid and so on. However when you buy hours, for example 10 it’ll show you only bought 8. When The structure cancels you don’t get your money back and hrs aren’t put back into your account. I will be doing my last lesson as you can’t cancel 48hrs before your lesson (but your instructors can). You can’t speak to anybody because everything is computerised. I put in a complaint and emailed but nobody gets back to you. DO NOT USE AA under any circumstances they will take your money. In theory I should have 6 hrs left but it’s only showing 2!!

The Aa's Response to Craigr12's Review

Written on: 05/05/2022

Hi there, we're sorry you've been left to feel this way. Your first lesson with us will be 2 hours. So 8 will if you purchased 10 hours. We can look into and chase anything for you. Please head to our driving school web page and click the live chat button, and we'll be happy to help. Lines are open Mon-Fri 9am-5pm.

Read 1 Comment

“Terrible , unprofessional didn’t teach properly. ”

Written on: 19/04/2022

I had an AA instructor in Feltham. Had about 30 less with her. She knew i had a test booked and kept teaching me the same thing,every lesson didn’t give information in enough detail. Didn’t explain the rules of the test or give any advice. 10 days before my test after asking if she will give me the car for the test she refused and her intention wasn’t to give me her car at all. Only when I questioned she said no. Knowing how difficult it was to book or change a test date she didn’t give me enough notice and i had to go crazy to find another instructor in such short time. Finally I passed today first time but i am extremely disappointed with AA instructor for her selfish behaviour. Only was interested in making money really. I joined her because I believed AA had a high reputation but they have the worst instructors. She put me in the deep end i was lucky to have passed she said I wasn’t ready but i proved her wrong. Never recommend anyone to AA

Written on: 02/05/2022

Hi, so we can look into this, please can you contact us via private message on one of our social media channels.

Shabazahmed1233's Comment

Written on: 02/05/2022

Many thanks for your reply. Which social media channel can i contact you on?

Written on: 03/05/2022

You can contact us on Facebook or Twitter.

Read 3 Comments

“Couldn’t have been any better”

Written on: 05/04/2022 by NikolasEwing61 (1 review written)

My driving instructor made it as difficult as possible as it came up to my test, to make sure I was ready. Always gave me positive criticism and making sure I knew what I had to do and what to avoid. Without his help I couldn’t have passed, would recommend him to anyone.

Written on: 06/04/2022

Hi Nikolas, thanks for your amazing review. We're so happy to hear you've passed your test and best of luck on the roads.

Written on: 21/04/2022

Hi there, we're sorry to hear you feel this way, and we'd like to look into this. If you haven't already, please contact us directly via private message through one of our social media channels and include your pupil id, full name and postcode.

Read 2 Comments

“Amazing, couldn’t have been luckier to receive my...”

Written on: 28/03/2022 by Jasminerobbb (1 review written)

My instructor really does it all himself I’m pretty sure, he’s an amazing teacher, amazing at communicating and understanding. Helps conquer any fears you my have driving with little but huge steps. He plans so professionally and you can give ur own input on if there’s anything you want to work on urself that lesson. He deserves the world honestly !

The Aa's Response to Jasminerobbb's Review

Written on: 29/03/2022

Thanks for this awesome review. We're delighted you're happy with your instructor :-)

Read 1 Comment

“UNPROFESSIONAL TEACHING MANNER & NO TEACHING PLAN-...”

Written on: 22/02/2022 by 444Rhodes (1 review written)

Please do not go for the instructor. She normally teaches around Finchley/Eash Finchley/Barnet (North London) area. She has showed the following characteristics of bad driving instructors, even though most of her advice about driving safety is important. Honestly, driving safety is crucial, that I fully agree with her. 1. Keep shouting at learner and nagging you from day 1 about how bad you drive and what you should not do, whilst the beginner driver should be encouraged to first practise the basic skills repeatedly. She is lack of patience and has not built up my confidence in driving after I have took almost 40 lessons (i.e. 80 hours, costing around UK 2400 in nine months) with her. Her attitude is rude, showing no sympathy to beginner driver. Her attitude has made me feel very stressful and nervous during my learning process, and I still have not been able to drive fully indenpendently. I just cancelled my driving test again, that is supposed to be next week, because deep down I know that I will not pass beacuse of this unprofessional teaching approach. 2. Occasionally, she picked up calls during my lessons hours. One time, she asked me to drive to living area beacuse she needed to pick up something. It was fine to me at that time, I just took it as driving practice. 3. She never wrote a word about my progres and improvements shoudl be made on the AA student website, so that there is no trace of her teaching methods and syslabus, and feedbacks. AA seems not to require instructors to do it either, that further encourages instructors, to teach irresponsibly. 4. If I do no ask further questions about how to use the fog light, windscreen wipers, how to avoid jolting, she did not tell you in detail ho to do them. She saw me jolting one to few times every weekend and she only shouted and told me how dangerous I was and I should keep up the speed on uphill road etc. Ironically, she never told me that I should just 'clutch down' and stay calm and adjust to the right gear. I learn this by watching a Youtube video suggested by my husband.He also admitted that he was luckily able to pass because of his past driving experience and wathcing those Youtube viedos. He also recognised that her teaching methods were outdated and unprofessional. 5. She does not have a structured teaching plan, and keep you as her 'money tree'. For example, when she knows that you driving exam is in two-month time. She still did not take me to a bigger roundabouts for practice. I do not expect to drive on big aroundabouts,like those in M1. At first, I trusted her professional judgement and she told me to postone my driving test because of driving skills etc. Rearranging driving test dates on gov.uk is very difficult these days and somehow I managed to book another one that is already 1/2-year later than my first driving test. Since then, every week, I was asked to driving to Mill Hill/Finchey residential areas for simply practising junctions and mini rounabouts, reverse parking, bay parking and parelle parking another 3-4 months. Of course, througout all these lessons, every lesson was filled with being scolded, shouted and nagged. One month before my 2nd postoned driving test, I was serious to tell her that I did not need to keep driving in similar areas (i.e. Mill Hill East, Finchley Golf course area etc.). I asked her to bring me to somewhere I could intensively to practice appraoching roundabouts (i.e. not the ones in duel carriage yet), and practise more on parallel parking etc. I requested this because I was concerned for how much was the gap between my present skills and the driving test standard. I hope to take the most of driving lessons for minmising this learning gap. She said that my problems were not on driving roundabouts, but something else, and she did not do it rightaway. She only followed my request in the next lesson by bring me to Boaremhamwood area for practising different mini roundabouts and 'middle-sized' roundabouts. One week before my driving test of ealry March 2022, she brought me to a 'brand new' route (i.e. Edgware Road/West Hendon area) and she said that it would be one of the driving test route. Of course, owing to my limited exposure and practices of driving on busier roads, faults and mistakes were inevitable. So as usual, she shouted and said intimatedly to me, 'I will not put you forward for the driving test. I think you have to postone it again !' Then I know that 'That's it ! 9-month weekends were spent on practising for nothing. I have enough with her poor teaching style and rude attitudes.

Written on: 25/02/2022

Hi there, we're sorry to hear you feel this way and we'd like to look into this. Please contact us directly via private message through one of our social media channels and include your pupil id, full name and postcode.

Asked by Zalfonso on 10th January 2018 Report this content
I am not happy with my instructor and would like to change it. Do you know a good AA instructor in South Ealing/Brentford?

Answers (1)
Report this content Mama_Cuddles Written on: 10/01/2018
If you check the website or phone them they will tell you who your nearest instructors are. You can book lessons online too and you will be offered a choice of time slots.
Asked by wayneypro on 2nd August 2016 Report this content
I'm considering taking up a franchise as an AA driving instructor. Reading through this thread there are a multitude of similar bad experiences, primarily relating to the conduct of the instructors' I've also noticed that on a majority of these posts the AA have replied with comments which indicates to me a desire from them to improve and listen. My question as a prospective 'Franchisee' is this: Would you as a parent or student choose the AA Driving School as a preferred provider based on their reputation and how much would the ratings in this thread influence your decision to use them? There are several companies out there that offer a franchise solution; RED being another popular one. I'd be interested to get some feedback on this so I could at least feel that I would be choosing the right organisation to train with. At this point in time I'm inclined to choose the AA purely based on its long standing reputation and that any other schools (including RED) are likely to have both good and bad instructors too.

Answers (2)
Report this content ComiUK Written on: 04/08/2016
Have a look at the TOP 5 DRIVING SCHOOLS and that will answer your question. RED is the first choice of most pupils and they are very reliable. They are also rated 4.5 stars having 1976 reviews. My advice is go with RED and you will have no regret.
Report this content Mama_Cuddles Written on: 10/01/2018
I would choose AA over Red. AA are far superior but Red are the most complained about and worst for customer service and quality. This is my personal experience of both.
Asked by marcuz on 1st March 2014 Report this content
Any tips about test centres between Cannock and Wednesbury? Which one is best place to take my test?

Answers (1)
Report this content jujubeej Written on: 18/06/2016
Can anyone give any details or advise on the south west London school?
Asked by marcuz on 27th February 2014 Report this content
Has anyone had a I instructor from Lichfield or Sutton Coldfield in West Midlands? Any bad experiences?

Answers (2)
Report this content agusia78 Written on: 27/02/2014
Sorry, I didn't have an instructor where you have asked from but as I know from my experience and people I know this company AA seems to be very professional and employes very good, professional instructors.
Report this content marcuz Written on: 01/03/2014
Ok thankz for your answer agusia78,its just I'm worried I had about 2 instructor pass they took my money without doing my practical test.