Rack Space Reviews

3.3

Rack Space - Ask a question now

“The Closed my account without confirmation”

written by BidDirection on 08/06/2015

SO, you open an account with Rackspace to support your business. You are thinking of changing provider, and send an email asking how to close your account. A week later, your account is closed - without any confirmation from you, because you did not respond to their messages. To close an account without CONFIRMATION - poor business practice - cased me the loss of a Monday trying sort it out. Even with the "how was your weekend" and "what a beautiful day" stuff from Customer Service - cancelling account without final approval of the customer is a terrible service.

“Very poor support, going downhill fast.”

written by on 29/10/2012

Hi, Used Rackspace for MANY years now, support used to be good, but over the last few months it has been getting worse, in the last two weeks I have had to pay an external company to fix issues they should be sorting out, when asked about what they support I was told they don't actually have a list, seems to be up to whoever answers the phone. Fanatical support is a joke, but I'm not smiling at the moment, they charge top rates for a VERY mediocre service.

Written on: 21/11/2012

You don't detail the issues you had in your review, or the platform you were using. You don't put this review into context.

Tonypearce's Comment

The context is:
Dedicated server, apache config, trying to get someone at rackspace who would help and not reply with 'sorry we don't support that' stating this is an application issue when it actually came down to an apache mis-config.

Hope that helps elaborate!!

Thanks for the info.
That's disappointing - they should have been easily able to assist with that (unless the server wasn't under a fully managed contract - I've found them very strict on how much they assist with). You could always ask for a change of account manager too.

“Poor support”

written by on 07/08/2012

Overcharged by 3x, then would only give me credit. Then the samething happened the 2nd month

“Awful support from AUP department”

written by on 12/06/2012

The RackSpace Cloud was attacking our server for weeks on end with probes and SQL injections, causing load issues and server errors. RackSpace say they offer "fanatical support", but nothing could be further from the truth. The main abuse@ address bounced first of all. Then, when sending emails nothing was confirmed and there were no read receipts or ticket numbers. There was no way of knowing if the abuse complaints were even being received. Then I called the customer service line and they did not seem to know what an "abuse department" was, so I had to explain what this was to them and eventually I was routed to another country for AUP support. Then RackSpace told me they did not own the IP addresses making the attacks, but then conceded they did, since a WHOIS lookup quickly shows RackSpace to be the netblock owners! With no further explanation they said the matter was resolved and gave no additional information. A truly unprofessional response in my opinion. You'd think a company's AUP department could not get such basic things wrong. They would not give a telephone number to contact them on; they would not identify themselves, even though they had full LinkedIn profiles which could be called up in seconds. The total attitude was "why are you calling and bothering us?". Searching Google, the RackSpace cloud is well documented as being the source of numerous attacks by spammers and trojans. I would not recommend them on that basis. If you are an innocent third party you are treated with contempt. They even allowed the customers in question to carry on using their services after breaching their own AUP! No apology was even given - dreadful company, awful CRM. I'm not a RackSpace customer, and never will be based upon this experience.

Written on: 21/11/2012

seriously? You're blaming your hosting provider for this? you clearly know nothing about web hosting. If your suffering sql injections it's clearly a faulty site built by you!

A web host supports the OS and the hardware - that's what they do! it's got nothing to do with your web code

“How I was stuffed by Rackspace”

written by arcray on 06/06/2012

Support - generally excellent apart from one episode where outgoing email got hacked in the middle of the night which meant no one could send out email for 24 hours. Very sloppy response from the team on that one, but prior to that, support was really first rate. Reliability is incredible - I've never seen a webhsoting company like it. No idea how they keep their servers online, but they do. So how was I stuffed by Rackspace? Having hosted all of my websites with them for 4 years, I was notifed by my accoutn manager that the operating system was coming to end of support life and I needed to migrate to a new server. No problem I said. Great - that will be £500 per year extra. Okay - not happy with that I said, but as reliability has been so good I'll grin and bare it. What is the plan for migration I ask? Oh - you have to do that yourself. So there I was, paying over 5 thousand pounds per year for a fully managed solution, but at the end of server life - you are on your own. I was livid - I had 220 websites - half of which were database driven and each one was going to have to be migrated manually onto a new server with new IP address. They 'generously' said that I could have the new server for two weeks for free whilst I migrated sites across. What a joke. I was absolutely furious - anyone who has migrated even one databse driven site will know that it is a time consuming process to say the least. To move 100 database driven sites and configure somewhere around 2000 email accounts was painful beyond belief. So, having been forced into migrating to a new server, needless to say I decided to drop Rackspace and signed up for a reseller account with Heart Internet and am now saving myself 5 thousand pounts per year. Reliability not as good, but what the hell, I'm saving thousands. And if anyone from Rackspace are reading this - it took me nearly three months to move all my sites - not two weeks, because these things need planning. So - thinking of using Rackspace? If you have money to burn and you need reliability then yes - they are good. But then they should be at those prices. But please check the end of life terms for your server/operating system.

“The best support I've experienced!”

written by rebjools on 06/09/2011

We're not the biggest of companies, but you like to feel you're still worth something to any 3rd Part you deal with. We have 3 servers with Rackspace and I've always found it easier to sleep with these guys supporting all the sorts of issues we've gone through across the 20+ sites my small team have to manage. Their "unsupported" support beats the last lot we were with and knew on that basis alone I'd be sticking around. I've always had a great response time, particularly from a phone call (usually sorted there and then) but the ticket system's great as well and always a bonus to have all the info you need backed up somewhere to refer to in future if the need arises. We didn't go with Rackspace at first because of the price, but strangely when we did swap to them they gave us better servers than what we were on for the same hosting cost. Really this has all been an experience for us in knowing just how important support is, and if that's important to you over getting an extra 10g HDD space with someone else, then hands down go with Rackspace!

“Whilst on the face of it they're expensive, if you...”

written by on 16/03/2011

Whilst on the face of it they're expensive, if you truly compare like-with-like then they are actually quite competitive (and I've done this regularly). I've used Rackspace now for several years and their support is (nearly) always truly superb and on the odd occation they haven't come up to par - they've always been upfront about making things right. And you can't say fairer than that!

Support is limited for area outside their area of concern, but they've always at least tried to help if they can.

“Excellent service throughout the signup process and...”

written by on 07/02/2011

Excellent service throughout the signup process and whilst setting up. The online chat people are very helpful and quick to answer any queries or problems you might have. Can't comment on uptime yet as not been a customer long enough but looking very favourable so far! Recommended.

“Hi, ”

written by on 17/10/2010

Hi,

This review is for the email service only.

We use them for hosting in the UK, two servers one firewall and Exchang.

Hosting OK, FORGET Exchange! absolutly appalling service, rubbish support, deny something is wrong, then funny to see an hour later system monitor showed an error!.
Recommend UK hosting, forget the email service, we have used cheaper and far better providers, Rackspace should invest in this rather than slick advertising, you can only paper over so many cracks before the wall falls down.

A customer for MANY years

“Hi, ”

written by greyuk on 27/04/2010

Hi,

If asked I would recommend Rackspace to anyone looking for a hosted solution!!

“My terrible experience with RACKSPACE. ”

written by on 11/02/2010

My terrible experience with RACKSPACE.

I'll number my points to make it easy for all.

1. If you are a small company forget it. They will assign you a part-time account manager who will only be available 1-2 days a week.

2. They have the most convincing sales team. They will sell their own mothers for your signature on the contract. Their contract is air tight so when you sign it say good bye to your money.

3. They are truly fanatical about support if it involves simple tasks like rebooting a server. If anything more complex, the will put the ball firmly back in your court to deal with it. They also love talking jargon to justify their laziness.

4. Did I say they have the best sales team in the world?!

5. Forget about complaining. You will be pushed into a vortex of excuses and passed on from manager to manager, BY PHONE ONLY. You see they don't like leaving evidence behind, so no tickets and no emails.

6. Did I mention they should also trade mark "Fanatical Sales"? They should also change "Fanatical Support" to "Fanatical about support only if not too complicated, but please don't bother us if the task takes more than 5 mins or more than a few key Strokes".

BTW I am happy to back up all my points.

Good luck if you choose to ignore my advice as I have now heard so many horror stories about RACKSPACE UK.

Greyuk's Comment

Written on: 26/04/2010

<br/>
<br/>I work for a relatively small company and use RackSpace for all our hosting requirements and have nothing but high praise for them. As a result we have been working with them for the past 5 years.
<br/>
<br/>You'll be assigned with a full-time Business Account Manager who will assist with all aspects of your hosted environment, if he/she is unable to answer your particular question they will involve the relevant resource to assist ASAP.
<br/>
<br/>The support response is fantastic - 24hr support 7 days a week. If you require phone support you simply dial the specific number, give your account details and the receptionist will put you through to the relevant support engineer. The engineers that I've spoken with have been very knowledgeable and more than willing to assist with issues that are probably outside of their remit.
<br/>
<br/>The use of their ticketing system also allows you to track, raise and respond to all issues through the online portal.
<br/>
<br/>If asked I would recommend Rackspace to anyone looking for a hosted solution!!
<br/>

“How good are Rackspace - this good: ”

written by arcray on 09/12/2009

How good are Rackspace - this good:

I'd spent 3 weeks adding content to a Joomla website in test webspace and was then given the all clear by the client to make the site live in their actual webspace.

In a nutshell - I messed up the transfer by doing something very stupid and the database got trashed.

I contacted Rackspace support - within 15 minutes they had restored the previous nights database backup and site was back on line. 15 minutes!!!

That sort of service is worth paying for.

If you look after multiple clients as a web designer or web host - use Rackspace. I have been using them for 2 years now and the service is second to none. Prior to that I used Fasthosts and Webfusion and there is no comparison - just read the reviews.

“Rackspace servers are fast and solid. In my...”

written by webinspektor2 on 25/07/2008

Rackspace servers are fast and solid. In my experience, they have provided outstanding support - very fast and knowledgeable. Unlike a lot of other hosting companies I have used, Rackspace just get on and sort things out promptly without trying to fob you off. Premium prices, but premium service. Well recommend RackSpace as a web hosting service.

“Rackspace servers are fast and solid. In my...”

written by webinspektor on 25/07/2008

Rackspace servers are fast and solid. In my experience, they have provided outstanding support - very fast and knowledgeable. Unlike a lot of other hosting companies I have used, Rackspace just get on and sort things out promptly without trying to fob you off. Premium prices, yes. Premium service too.

“I will recommend this hosting company without any...”

written by fifirom33 on 28/01/2008

I will recommend this hosting company without any restriction if you have money to pay the price. It is worthwhile. The only think I complain is the price, but, what you want, quality must be paid, isn't it?

“”

written by lfn on 18/12/2007

We are most likely leaving them, after 7 years as a customer. I have always recommended Rackspace, but no more. We recently had a weird bandwidth overage incident that no one has yet found any evidence of, not even their own support personal, and as far as I am aware they are still charging us for it.

Abest's Response to 331944_lfn's Review

Written on: 06/06/2009

Exactly the same has happened to us. Charged us over &pound;1,300 for bandwidth overage which they could not justify or prove we used!. We also recently found out they recycle ALL dismantled parts from servers left over from customers who leave them, but always insist their servers and componants are brand new - this was advised to us by 3 members of senior staff [a customers services manager, a senior account manager and one of their most senior technicians] who left them to work for a competitor we now deal with! What a set of deceitful sales people!<br/><br/>Rackspace are over priced, for the equipment they use and they NEVER accept responsibility for any wrong doing. They put us on a solution which was redundant within a few months of moving to them. Ever since then we have had to recycle data space costing us money and huge resource. When I questioned the initial solution, we were told it was our fault we signed up for it even though after telling Rackspace our requirements they recommended the solution. We were after a trust worthy hosting company, to offer us support, advice and counsel on important hosting issues, yet when you raise any kind of questions they are completly devoid of responsibility.<br/>They seem good at the point of sale but trust us it stops there. Their products are second rate and they always push you towards expensive solutions which never really deliver what you need.<br/><br/>I would never ever recommend Rackspace Hosting for anyone. There are many superior companies who provide a better service, using better brand new equipment at a cheaper price.<br/><br

“They have grown too quickly, their processes are...”

written by nickt100 on 08/11/2007

They have grown too quickly, their processes are inadequate and the level of support is progressively reducing.

“We approached Rack Space after unbelievably poor...”

written by oegen on 30/08/2007

We approached Rack Space after unbelievably poor support from Webfusion.

Our sales manager suggested a solution to meet our budget, and managed the whole process of signing up.

An account manager then contacts you to set up the server to your specification, and install any software, which includes conference calls with their technical team.

They will do their utmost to support all your additional server software, even those which they don't officially support, and they will advise you on the best way to set up elements of your server; in our case, handling bounce back emails.

When with Rack Space, you do not have to worry about any problems, as they are fixed a phone call away, and so far we have not had to wait more than 5 seconds for the phone to be answered by a real person, not an automated call management system - and they are 24/7 - no having to wait for the engineer to get there in the morning.

We can't recommend them enough, but you will have to pay for it.

“Great if you need to buy from IBM or your fired, if...”

written by AdamoCelo on 22/05/2007

Great if you need to buy from IBM or your fired, if you've got a modicum of common sense then don't use 'em, and find someone else.

Abest's Response to AdamoCelo's Review

Written on: 06/06/2009

could not agree with this comment anymore!

“With Rack Space, you can pretty much forget about web...”

written by Georgec123 on 04/04/2007

With Rack Space, you can pretty much forget about web hosting concerns. They deal with it all.