William Ungerman, The Devil’s Finger Review

F I Heilig's review of William Ungerman, The Devil’s Finger

“William Ungerman, The Devil's Finger - I picked up...”

Written on: 30/09/2004 by F I Heilig (1 review written)

William Ungerman, The Devil's Finger - I picked up this paperback book entirely by accident while browsing amongst the racks at Barnes and Noble. What I found turned out to be quite a read. The cover is a bit garish, but I have to say, drew me to pick it up and investigate. I finished it in two sessions and haven't stopped sweating yet.

Granger and Rawlings, are two ex (but maybe not) Delta Force assassins/snipers, all-around-terminators that get involved in a botched mission in Beirut. Initially, things are really convoluted and I was scratching my head by the end of the Prologue. It turns out this opening launches the novel's central, unrevealed, core. Now unemployable the men are in psychological states. However, salvation seems to appear via a letter from two Texas border-town orphans. Turns out the kids thought they were writing a couple handymen just happening to be advertsing in a Soldier-Of-Fortune-type magazine.

In the forgotten town of Zapata the two men are faced with drug lords, an army of killers and paramilitary mercenaries as well as an enemy stalking them from out of the past. The present requires hard choices be made. Their allies are two priests and a woman who may not be whom she claims. There is also a mysterious rifleman whose omniscence and motives are suspect.

The violence in The Devil's Finger is graphic, stupendous really, some might say over the top. But then violent death is like that I'm told. This book is not for the squemish or faint of heart or for those who fancy romance novels. The sex is also graphic, some of it brutal, but that's the nature of the beasts within.

The Devil's Finger has it all: Intrigue, suspense, twists-a-plenty and an ultimately satisfying ending that has a perhaps perverse, but nonetheless persuasive and pervasive sense of ultimate justice that doesn't depend upon law.

Both my thumbs way up. Is there another book coming on the heels of this one, or has this author penned something else? Google, here I come.

Frank Mott, Captain USMC (ret) with some input from FI Heilig who concurs in spades.