Automatic renewal farce

OmariLopez224's review of HomeProtect - www.homeprotect.co.uk

“Automatic renewal farce”

Written on: 16/06/2021 by OmariLopez224 (1 review written)

A year ago I took out house insurance for my mother in law's house which was empty and up for sale as she had moved to a nursing home. I have just received a renewal letter stating it will be automatically renewed if I am happy or I could cancel if not happy. With a hint of good timing I found I didn't need to renew as the house was just about to go to completion of sale, so I rang to cancel. I was staggered to be told I couldn't cancel the automatic renewal. I didn't request or agree to it in the first place and it was not mentioned in the original policy wording. I argued that I didn't consent to them using my card details but they just would not listen and insisted that my mother in law must cancel, or my wife could email them proof of her power of attorney so that she could cancel. After yet more arguing I was eventually told they would raise a complaint and give me the email details of a manager to contact who would then use my email as proof that I was recorded on the policy, and thus cancel the automatic renewal. However, they had already taken the money from my account, so a refund will now be made.
I certainly didn't have to go through all this when I took out the policy and they were more than happy to take my money (twice in the end)
This automatic renewal is only good for them and is an absolute farce.

• Never Claimed

Have you made a claim

• Buildings & Contents

Type of Cover

By Homeprotect

Written on: 17/06/2021

Sorry to hear of your disappointment. We automatically renew our policies to prevent any gap in cover. I'm happy to see everything is sorted for you now. Thanks you Angela at The HomeProtect Team.