44% premium increase without any claim

• Customer service

AJCraig's review of April UK - www.april-uk.com

“44% premium increase without any claim”

Written on: 21/09/2017 by AJCraig (1 review written)

This year my premium increased by 44%. I had not made any claim. The company resolutely defended the increase, including at very senior level. It was only when I complained to the Chairman of Spire Healthcare, and after his personal intervention that it was discovered that an 'arithmetic error' had been made and my increase was 24%. They then justified this increase with reference to changes in insurance premium tax (which only accounts for 2% of the rise). This company lacks integrity from top to bottom. I have since switched to another provider who have been extremely helpful and beaten the April premium for a product that is superior in every way. I STRONGLY URGE YOU TO AVOID THIS COMPANY.
(Also - NB - April UK is not itself an insurance company. It seems, effectively, to be a broker relying on external underwriters. My experience of their customer relations, up to corporate CEO level, is that they are forever seeking to blame their problems / need to make increases on external agencies).

Have you made a claim?

• Customer service

Harry121's Response to AJCraig's Review

Written on: 23/02/2018

can you tell me who you have gone with? which insurance provider?

i have had same problem,just sent an email today, of official complaint, and told them that i want FCA to look into this and investigate,

Ajcraig's reply to Harry121's Comment

Written on: 23/02/2018

Hi, I went with Vitality, who are excellent. I wish you well with your complaint. At April UK I dealt with the CEO. She became slightly helpful (after the company had repeatedly stonewalled) after I had been in contact with both the Chairman of her parent company (in France) and the Chairman of Spire Healthcare. I believe April are bringing that rather more established company (Spire) into disrepute by their conduct. She will remember me well. She promised me faithfully that the initial increase was a mistake and that she would make sure that others were not affected. If you really also have a 44percent or somesuch rise without reason then the company is on dodgy ground if they seek to defend that.