Bad Service

• Customer service

igCox460's review of Evans Halshaw, Hull, Humberside

“Bad Service”

Written on: 28/08/2021 by igCox460 (1 review written)

My power steering stopped working on my Meriva. 10yrs old under 40,000 miles driven. I thought this was a bit more than fair wear and tear, I contacted the Vauxhall care line, they asked me to take it to my nearest Vauxhall dealership and get them to run diagnostics on it to confirm the fault.
I had the car towed to Evan Halmshaws West Hull on the Monday 2:08:21 for Diagnostics which confirmed it was the power steering unit at fault. I was hoping that Vauxhalls would give me some goodwill discount for this work to be carried out as this has been a well-publicized fault with goodwill discounts to other Meriva owners even cost-free replacement. I was told by the care line that they couldn’t offer me anything towards the cost as the vehicle was outside their replacement time.
Not happy with this I reluctantly asked Halmshaws to go ahead with the work at a quoted £1,800 as I needed this car on the road. I was told they would order the part and do the work and would ring me when ready, Fine!
I left it a week and rang them only to be told that they need to order the replacement unit, I informed them that they said the same thing a week ago, but I left it at that. A week later I rang again only to be told that the part would be arriving the next day (funny that! Sounds like a delaying tactic to me) and work would commence. I went into the dealership a week later to see how things were progressing to be told that they are doing it this afternoon. Only to receive a call an hour later telling me that it won’t be done but it would be done the next day (Friday) no one called to say it was done so I called on Saturday to be told that it is not ready because the unit needs a code to activate the settings and that would have to be ordered from Vauxhall and would probably get it for Tuesday 31;08;21.
In all this time I wasn’t offered a courtesy car until it looked like I was getting (no swearing) very cross indeed!!! and 5% off my bill for the inconvenience. What I really want as a customer any customer is to be kept informed about the progress of works not to be left hanging with a promise that doesn’t materialize. I have worked in the service industry for over 40yrs so I do have a good idea how good service works and EvanHalmshaws falls way short of a reasonable service.
I would have thought that when ordering a replacement part it would be obvious in this age of technology that it would need a code to activate it so why not order at the same time.
I was originally going to get this fault fixed by my local mechanic who told me that he couldn’t do it because he hasn’t got the tech to use a code to activate the unit, He knew it needed a code so why didn’t your engineers know this.
NOT HAPPY