Car seemed okay, found no service history

• Customer service

deffstar's review of Evans Halshaw, Ashton Under Lyne, Lancashire

“Car seemed okay, found no service history”

Written on: 26/04/2016 by deffstar (5 reviews written)

The car was initially advertised at £4461 but when we went to look at it, the price changed to £4642. I thought maybe I'd looked at another one as I'd been looking at several cars.

I drove the car and it seemed fine. The handbrake was high to put on though and the salesman said "it's fine look" and pulled it about 6 notches and when I took my foot off the brake it rolled backwards. I explained it wasn't but he pulled it further and said they were all like it (Toyota's).

After they sorted us the finance, we picked the car up a few days later and one of the dvd screens wasn't working (he told us this after we'd paid for the car).

He also told me that it had been serviced regularly by Toyota Dealers and when I checked the service book, I noticed that it had only the initial service stamped. When I rang about it, he said they'd never say that and that it'd cost too much to have it serviced at the Toyota Dealers and nobody would do it.

The engine made a loud noise when revved so I rang them and as I come from Sheffield, I didn't really want to drive all the way back there so they booked it with the Rotherham branch for me. The afternoon before I was to take it, they rang me to say they were waiting for authorisation from Ashton branch to check it. I took it the next morning and rang them myself to be told they'd sort it and ring if there was any problems. 4 hours later, I returned to Rotherham to be told they'd still not authorised it. I rang them again and explained my disgust.

After I took it back, the Rotherham branch have sorted the issue, including replacing the battery as it had problems starting in the cold and sorted the handbrake.

I'm now quite happy with the car but I very much doubt I'll ever buy from the Ashton Upon Lyne branch ever again.

• Customer service