Budget Airline mentality Things to be aware of...

Webbo1234's review of Motorhome Hire - www.motorhomehire.uk.com

“Budget Airline mentality Things to be aware of...”

Written on: 18/05/2019 by Webbo1234 (1 review written)

Good points - Van was very nice, very clean, did what it said on tin!

Poor points - Company lure you in with great sounding deals. But beware there are a lot of practices borrowed from the budget airline industry. We ended up paying twice the advertised price for three nights.
All of the following is probably in the Terms & Conditions - which really poorly laid out, presented and written Terms & Conditions's - making understanding incredibly difficult.
So please note the following:
- you can't pick van up till 3pm on first day and must have back by 11.00am on last day (unless you pay extra) - depending on where you're going this effectivly reduces your hire by 2 days.
- you will have a toilet but only a small amount of chemical (unless you pay extra)
- ditto for gas
- you will have to pay for electric hook up lead
- you have to show your TV licence - but they only tell you this at the 11th hour - when they say for £10 you don't have to send is in!

After you've booked you'll be offered a package of extras which includes most of the above plus taking a pet. When you work out the individual costs of the extras you actually need it is worth taking this package -we did and as I say, for us, this doubled the cost of the 'special deal offer we had originally signed up for .

However, by far the worst aspect of this company is the deposit you have to pay up front so beware:
1. you pay £250 deposit to cover 'non insured' issues such as parking and speeding fines
2. you pay £1,000 deposit which is the excess on the insurance you'd pay if you're involved in an accident (BTW you can pay extra on the hire to avoid paying this up front - can't remember how much it is but it is significant amount)

They take the money from you for both 1 & 2 (ie. they don't simply register your credit card details).
Both 1&2 are refundable (But be aware you'll pay a £15 admin as part of the hire).
The big issue is that:
- they pay you back 28 WORKING days after the van is back (provided no insurance or fines issues are discovered)
- the refund is not automatic - they send you an email and you must register by clicking a link. They then tell you that the money will be refunded.

For us THIS DID NOT HAPPEN

When our next credit card bill came through there was no refund.
We then spent ages trying to contact them by phone to no avail. I then used their chat portal online - which I have to say was very good. And eventually we have now got the money back - and hence I am now leaving this review.

We Hired the van in February and we got the money back on 25 April.
We have had NO EXPLANATION FOR THE DELAY
We have had NO APOLOGY
I have asked to for management of company to contact me about this. But nothing.
Basically it feels as if they get all these deposits in, invest them, and keep the for as long as possible to gain as much interest as possible.

Finally - you will get text after text from them - advertising their special deals
and you will also be offered a 'too good to be true' investment opportunity to invest in a Motorhome scheme. UP to you..

I am sorry that this company behaves like this because what they have to offer is actually good - but they way they offer it makes you feel bad about your few days away in their motorhome. Not a nice feeling. Bad for business if you ask me!