Terrible in a crisis!

Guest's review of UK Cheapest www.uk-cheapest.co.uk

“Terrible in a crisis!”

Written on: 23/03/2017

I'll start off with the good - I'd had my websites with them for a number of years, no problems at all, but then again you wouldn't expect any from a domain name provider. In truth, I'd never really contacted them during this time, but all worked as it should.

Now for the bad - a month or so ago their database was hacked. Surprisingly enough, this is nowhere near the worst part of it. It shouldn't happen, their security should be much better, but ok sometimes bad things can happen. On this occasion, it meant that all of my websites displayed a devil's face stating that the website had been hacked and client data leaked. This wasn't true, as fortunately UK Cheapest didn't host my websites, they just managed to change the nameservers that UK Cheapest hold, and instead of pointing to my website, they now pointed to this hacker's image.

The real problems started when I tried to contact them. First point, UK Cheapest don't offer a phone number. Never sign up to a service company who don't have a phone number. Lesson learned. What do they have? Live chat and email. Fine. No response to email of course, and limited response to live chat. Any response to the live chat was very basic and robotic, and did not really give any indication of what was going on, or the steps they were taking to resolve it, so I was stuck with this hacker's image instead of my websites, no customers able to access my websites, and anyone who tried to use my websites being told their data had been leaked.

It gets worse... at this point, they decided the best way to handle it would be to turn off live chat, refuse to respond to any email, and basically leave all of their customers in the dark as to what was going on. At the biggest moment of crisis, they just ignored us all.

In the end, after getting very little sleep, I tried their live chat again in the small hours, and finally got through to someone who I managed to get me to help restore my websites. This was over 12 hours later. I know other customers who weren't o lucky and waited to have this automatically restored were waiting much much longer.

In short, if all's going well with them, they'll be fine. If you ever have a problem, be prepared to tough it out. Safe to say they no longer hold my domains.

Securitystartsathome's Comment

Written on: 27/04/2017

Please keep in mind that security starts close at hand. Use weak passwords, bad software update policies, no additional layers of security and, yes - you will be hacked. Furthermore, host with the same provider as your registrar and its self destruct madness. If their network goes down you have no control over the DNS to fix anything so hosting and domain registrar should be separate.

The first problem with security is that you should not look elsewhere for anyone to gift it to you. That is a problem in itself.

Simply test your registrar on whatever support method they use and see it it is the level of service you can live with.