2006 Yamaha Morphous CP250V

Yamaha Morphous 250
4.5

ScottyScoot701's review of Yamaha Morphous 250

“2006 Yamaha Morphous CP250V ”

written by ScottyScoot701 on 16/11/2017

I am one of a handful of lucky people to have owned a Yamaha Morphous, or to have even known what they are for that matter.

I loved mine for the past six years, and for most of that time the Morphous was my one and only vehicle; rain or shine. I bought it used at right around 3,480 miles on the odometer, and stupidly sold it last week on this day with 23,610 miles exactly. Mine was # 701, and am eyeing another for the future.

Loved it's rare, strikingly good looks and the low-cost to operate. $8 of fuel would top the Morphous from near empty, and would go for at least a week and a half commuting to and from work 10 miles with tons of stop lights.

Especially appreciated the fact that it was so well engineered that a moderately technical person could access all of the essentials that will wear out or need replacement (oil fill locations, coolant, CVT filter and drive belt, air filter element, spark plug, battery to name a few).

Liked that you could customize this bike through Webike Japan. With that being said, I installed a leather seat that eliminated the driver backrest and upholstered the passenger backrest myself using a part from Webike that I had to modify. Also added heated grips to mine and a thicker rear bumper. Though not necessary, it was fun to be able to soup it up some!

Ergonomics were pretty good; the longest and lowest scoot of all time has it's advantages. You could get sure footing on the road and quickly thanks to how low this bike rides. At 6', I felt a little big for the bike, but there were some things that fellow reviewers had pointed out that I too had found - no numbness in the hands (unlike my 680cc Honda), but on 250 mile highway trips my upper back got quite sore; probably from all the wind buffeting and weight in my backpack for belongings that would not fit beneath the seat or trunk, also probably tense with all the speeders and psychos on the road where I am now.

Engine and CVT were dependable and quiet. The only issues I've had was a failing spark plug, dead battery, and a leaking fork tube. Oh, one other thing, don't ever buy Avon Viper Strike tires for this bike... long story...

The passenger grab handle came in so much handy for objects that were either too large to fit under the seat or could be worn in a backpack. I was able to transport an 8' collapsed faux Christmas tree once with blankets and bungee cords with the Morph!!! That was a feat that no other bike I've had so far could pull off!

As for drawbacks, storage is limited, but maximized within its design and the use of bungee cords.

Definitely has to have a taller windshield for protection from wind, rain, rocks and sand. Unfortunately, in my opinion, most tall windscreens take away from the look of this bike.

Having the bike serviced at a certified dealer was always a spendy affair with this one, mostly due to labor hours and parts availability; lots of panels to peel off and my dealership never stocked parts for the Morphous because there are so few of them...

Engine is a bit under powered for the Morphous's heft; was interested in the 400cc Majesty engine swap that some mechanics have done with this bike.... That was the main thing about the bike that would have been better if it had more displacement to give more perk and feel more confident at high speeds and acceleration. Sometimes, speed can be your friend on a bike, especially in a sticky situation; unfortunately the Morph cannot and will not launch you out of a bad situation all that quickly. Even a 300cc displacement would have given it just a bit more to cruise comfortably at 75 mph, maybe 1-2 MPH quicker in accelerating.

I found that this bike was slippery in the rain unless you are travelling in a straight line. Maybe that was due to the long wheelbase and small tires when turning, as well as that low center of gravity.

Essentially, I am glad to conclude on a positive note that the good about this bike far outweighs the bad. Definitely a memorable bike, and always will be for me. You won't forget them when you see one!