Poor quality control & tastes awful

• Durability

• Style

• Service & Support

littleviking's review of Brita Maxtra

“Poor quality control & tastes awful”

Written on: 05/07/2018 by littleviking (1 review written)

I've been using Brita for years. It pioneered countertop water filtration and was supposed to be the best water filter out there. It does a fair job of preventing limescale in my kettle, and the water tastes fairly neutral. However, I think the quality of the filters has dropped considerably. I recently bought a batch of 9 filters (they're not cheap!) and the filtered water tasted like machine oil. Every one of them was tainted. How can you trust it is doing its job if the water tastes like it has machine oil in it? Where is the quality control?
This experience urged me to do some research and it turns out there are much better water filters available. I came across a research by Water Filter Labs that shows that Brita does a poor job of removing heavy metals. In fact, it increases the amount of aluminium in the water.

I went ahead and bought analternative filter from Zero Water and the difference is night and day.
I'll be throwing out my Brita water filter. Simply put, I don't trust them any more and don't think the system does what it claims. A huge marketing budget can't disguise the poor quality of filtration for ever.

• More than 1 year