Great appliances...until they catch fire!

• Durability

• Style

• Service & Support

jarnartharn's review of Dyson DC08 Origin

“Great appliances...until they catch fire!”

Written on: 13/09/2012 by jarnartharn (37 reviews written)

I purchased this vacuum as a new appliance several years ago and I do understand that they do not last forever, however, the way that this appliance stopped working and the customer service that followed was a little concerning.
The general day to day use of this appliance is amazing, it is by far the best vacuum cleaner we have ever purchased for both use and its compact size also makes it east to store when not in use.
Cosmetically they're not too tough, every bump and scratch shows as the materials they use are very unforgiving, for the price they charge you think they would use tougher materials although I guess that would ultimately have a negative effect on the weight.
My main issue with this appliance is that one day, after being used for around five minutes it began to smoke and caught fire.
On closer inspection I discovered that the post filter was the cause of the fire so contacted Dyson, they informed me that this part was supposed to last the duration of the motors life so I would have to call their switchboard to purchase a replacement filter...I thought it a little odd having to pay out money for a part that should apparently never need replacing.
Their customer service department didn't seem too bothered by the fact that their appliance caught fire and in a letter that I think was supposed to reassure me they wrote "there are not many vacuum cleaners that occur with this particular fault". This statement along with their very kind offer to inspect and repair the fault at 'my' expense immediately put me off getting it fixed or purchasing another Dyson.

I love their appliances but feel that I can no longer trust them.

• More than 1 year