PLEASE READ

Jillian389's review of Lastminute www.lastminute.com

“PLEASE READ”

Written on: 09/09/2019 by Jillian389 (1 review written)

Holiday to Budapest provided by lastminute.com

From the 28th August – 31st August 4 of us travelled to Budapest, Hungary for a catch-up. The holiday went really well and I don’t have any qualms regarding the inbound flight or hotel. The return flight however that should have taken place at 21.50pm on the 31st August from Budapest Ferenc Liszt International Airport to London Stansted turned out to ruin the entire vacation and leave us devastated that lastminute.com, whom all 4 of us have used several time before could be so demeaning and inattentive towards us.

It all started before the holiday when both the inbound and outbound flights changed 3 times leaving us very confused as to which flight we needed to get. Lastminute.com bombarded me with emails (as the organiser) for weeks before updating me on pointless updates and changes of flight times to the point where we had no idea which was our flight. In the end we travelled to Budapest incident free and had an enjoyable time.
Our return flights had been changed 3 times from around midday to late afternoon and then finally late at night with emails telling us the schedule of the new flight times. We followed the email advice and turn up at the airport ready for our flight to be told by Ryanair that the flight we were booked on had already taken off. After we had learnt this information I rang Ryanair and told them what has happened and was told that the flight had never been changed and we were always booked on the morning flight despite what lastminute.com had said.
From here we contacted lastminute.com and told them what had happened to be told it “wasn’t their problem” in an extremely rude way. We were on the phone to them for around 1hr 30mins (at 13p per minute plus carrier charges) and seemed to get nowhere despite pleading with them that the new flights cost almost £500 each and we didn’t have that sort of money. We tried to reason with them and asked for them to book us on new flights at some time that day and we were willing to accept this…which they refused. We then asked if there were any flights in the next few days and asked them to put us up in the hostel we stayed at before this all happened (remember at this point we had done nothing wrong but turn up for a flight lastminute.com had told us to), they said no “not our problem”. One of my friends who suffers from learning difficulties and mental health problems at this point began to get upset at the thought of never getting home – they are also a student so the thought of a new flight at £500 rightly so was enough for them to become anxious and suffer a panic attack. With little option we begged them to refund the flights we had paid for (around £133) and we would borrow money in order to get home. You won’t believe it but they still said no, they claimed once we have flown the outbound flight it was no longer their problem and it was either our faults or the airlines.
In the end we had to borrow money from an overdraft in order to get us home, and not even the airport we had flown out of. We then had to make our own way back to where we live miles away from where we had started. We flew out of Stansted and flew back in Heathrow. I myself had a train booked from Stansted to Edinburgh and two others had cars parked at the airport which racked up huge fees.

The reason I’m telling this story is a warning to others that these people who act on behalf of companies like lastminute.com shouldn’t be allowed to get away with things like this when this is clearly their own fault. We weren’t out for compensation, any one to be sacked or even an apology on the day they abandoned us, just a flight home to our loved ones. As a result of this 2 of us are now being charged interest on overdraft loans and one see’s there therapist often (he was already in therapy but now goes more regularly).

I can’t stress with people using lastminute.com to be very careful as these ‘big boys’ will bully you into submission when they know they have you trapped. We are all almost £600 out of pocket as a result of this trip.

I hope someone reads this and please offers advice on how we can do something to stop companies like lastminute.com doing this to anyone else. We in this sense were ‘loyal’ customers, we had used them before and were treated this way. I’d hate to think of what would have happened if we were a onetime booker.