ZZR600

• Build quality

• Reliability

2wheellover51's review of Kawasaki ZZR 600

“ZZR600”

Written on: 20/02/2020 by 2wheellover51 (4 reviews written)

I had my ZZR600 for about 2 years, trading in a 1998 Bandit/s (the half faired one) at GR's Sportsbikes in Poole. I paid £2200 in all. I wanted something with a full fairing and decent performance. The ZZR was a 2002 model (E5?) and fitted me like a glove. It was thoroughly reliable, never once breaking down or even getting a puncture or blowing a headlight bulb.
The only problem I had with it was when moisture somehow got into one of the spark plug holes and caused a misfire, which I eventually traced and fixed with a dry cloth and a few squirts of WD40. I rode the bike to work and back through a winter with no problems, keeping it outside under a cover in all weathers and the finish stood up well, with a bit of TLC. The biggest job I did on it was checking the valve clearances, which necessitates removing a lot of the plastics. The centre exhaust valves were the most difficult to check if I remember correctly, needing a bent feeler gauge to get a good reading. with regular oiling the chain and sprockets lasted well, needing little adjustment.
I rode the bike up to Scotland one summer to visit family, and the bike was great, averaging around 60-70mpg on the motorway(at about 70mph) and around 50mpg on the normal A and B roads and around town. These bikes handle and corner well enough, and the brakes are ok if not great. I had to replace a set of discs, and made the mistake of buying a cheap Chinese set, which I eventually had to replace with a decent brand maybe EBC, I can't quite remember. The fairing gave good protection but I put another aftermarket screen on it to reduce the turbulence for longer trips.
I'm only 5 foot 5 but I could easily reach the floor, and since the bikes are quite light I had no problems with it size-wise, but maybe bigger riders might struggle for room on them. All in all a great bike, and one which I wouldn't hesitate to buy again if a mint example came up locally, which is surely the best recommendation.

• 2002