Perhaps the most disappointing purchase for 2019

• Easy to erect?

• Durability

• Comfort

CaitlinAshby447's review of Gala Tent Ltd www.galatent.co.uk

“Perhaps the most disappointing purchase for 2019”

Written on: 31/01/2020 by CaitlinAshby447 (1 review written)

I purchased 2 sets of 2 PVC side panels with windows during the November Black Friday week. These were purchased as a gift, and given 2/01/20 to my 70 year old carpenter father.

The panels went up very easily on a mild 14 degrees wind still day in a sheltered area, the following morning I noticed a huge slit from the corner to the side in one of the window sections. Keeping in mind my father is a very skilled man - they had not been incorrectly installed or damaged by any nearby objects.

On closer inspection & less than 24 hours installed the crease pattern on the material was still visible from the way they had been folded and packed. It seemed obvious what had happened – the slit had run the length of one of these creases in the clear window material and split.

The window blinds were down so it wasn’t immediately obvious until you walked around the outside and even then it was tough to spot given the transparency of the material. For all we knew it arrived this way and Dad just failed to notice when putting them up. I told him not to worry and I would contact the company, the sales person who had called me at the point of purchase had been very helpful, so I was confident we’d reach a solution.

I emailed the company who responded very quickly to my explanation and photograph. They immediately prompted me to go through their website and access “My Warranties”. That sounded very promising, but unfortunately this is where the positive news ends.

Not only did this process not work and cause me to go back and forth for 2 days with access issues (that were never actually resolved) but they had already decided from 1 photograph and no further dialogue with me not to entertain the idea of any defective issues but instead chalk it up to damage/misuse, they told me the warranty wouldn’t therefore cover it. In a blunt and unhelpful way, to them that was the end of the matter.

Not only was I not getting a replacement panel, I wasn’t being offered any type of service – no customer retention discount on a second purchase to replace it, no advice or products made available to try and repair the damage / stop it getting worse, and definitely no consideration given that their product was flawed in some way as to split so easily – or - potentially have even arrived damaged in the first place. I was not given their complaints procedure, and my request that this issue be escalate to a manager was ignored.

Because I was out the 30 day return window, they were under no obligation to do anything. Even if they had they been gracious enough to extend that period (like many Black Friday / Pre Christmas purchases do) they were still not going to help as it’d been opened and ‘used’. They wouldn’t accept that it could have arrived damaged as this was not reported on accepting delivery from the driver… which is another story…

On delivery the driver found no one in so instead left it with someone we didn’t know and sent a text with a random house name. No street or number included. I had to drive around the village that night searching for a house with this name on it in the dark in late November. I hadn’t had the opportunity to inspect it on delivery, but this is hardly the point.

The manner in which I have been dealt with is very disappointing, I would not recommend dealing with their customer service (oxymoron) and given that the item either arrived damaged or was simply defective to split so easily in under 24 hours, their products are not much better than their support.

I tried to tell customer services that I had asked about their returns policy given the circumstances of my purchase when their sales rep called me. The agent repeated their 30 day rule and sent me a full recording of my call with their sales rep so I could hear it all again for myself – at no point had I been informed or consented for the call to be recorded or retained, but I guess that’s a different issue!

This was not a cheap purchase, even at a discount it was over £100.

• Easy to erect?