Could be so much better

• Quality of service

• Layout of shop

ijCleveland304's review of Tesco

“Could be so much better”

Written on: 29/07/2020 by ijCleveland304 (1 review written)

I visited out nearest Tesco branch at Helston yesterday and inadvertently queued in the wrong place (the queuing system has changed since my last visit just over a fortnight ago, there is no signage to indicate that a change has taken place). My mistake was pointed out to me by a member of staff in a manner that caused me embarrassment. I moved to the indicated waiting area and then watched whilst two other customers went straight to the tills without queueing and, more importantly, without any questioning by the staff. The experience was embarrassing, cost extra time, and made me ask myself why I still shop at Tesco.

Over the years my experiences, in various Tesco branches, has ranged from very poor to good, but it's never been good enough for me feel I am a valued customer. I remember buying a Dvd for my daughter at Cirencester's store some years back, that came with a free toy. I asked for the free toy, the cashier was rude, I asked to see the manager who told me the the free toys had all gone and ask me to "just get on with checking out" in a most unpleasant manner. I once had to return a shower head I purchased, after just a few hours as it sprayed water out sideways, the shop assistant said "well, it was the only one we had" and then simply stared silently at me, presumably in the hope I would leave without my (legally due) refund. I had to make a fuss to get the refund on that occasion.

I genuinely do understand that the function of a supermarket is to make money, rather than provide a consumer service, but nonetheless I have been left feeling, so often, that me spending my money is as much an inconvenience to Tesco as a business function.

To sum up my experiences with Tesco over the years, I would have to say mostly slightly disappointing.

• Helston