Fantastic Bike!

• Build quality

• Reliability

Karlos71uk's review of Ducati Multistrada 1000 DS

“Fantastic Bike!”

Written on: 08/07/2021 by Karlos71uk (1 review written)

At 52 years old I decided to fulfil a lifetime ambition and go for a Ducati!
The problem is I don't have a sportsbike body these days and my back/shoulders/knees can't handle the GSXR's of the world anymore so I need something a little more 'forgiving'!
I've always loved the look of the Italian beasties but know full well that they would probably cripple me to ride so I looked into a Multistrada.
Having read the glowing reviews I tracked one down within budget and went to collect it. Having owned many 2 and 4 stroke race reps (6 x GSXR's 2 x ZZR's NSR250, TZR250, Rg400, RGV250) getting on the multistrada was a new experience. Being that high up on a bike is a new experience for me, the riding position is extremely comfortable and fortunately mine had the comfort seats fitted so was that bit more tolerable on long journey's.
The engine is an absolute stonker and pulls right from the bottom of the rev range all the way to the limiter which you will hit with alarming regularity as this thing is extremely quick, seriously quick, I love it! It handles like a sports bike and the 17" wheels mean sticky rubber can be applied to suit.
the forks and shock make this thing handle as well as anything I've owned and track days would most certainly not be out of the question!
Build quality is excellent (for an Italian bike) and the brakes will stop you on a sixpence.
All in all I can't recommend this bike enough, the only gripe is the seriously dodgy fuel gauge which can't make its mind up how much is in there once it drops below half, apparently though there are 2 gallons left when the light comes on, this is more than enough to get you to the next station.
This is a great bike, goes like a train, handles like a sports bike, as comfortable to ride as a tourer and sooooooo much fun!

• 2003