Great speakers for the price range!

• Sound Quality

SeamusFowler264's review of TDL Studio 10

“Great speakers for the price range! ”

Written on: 17/02/2022 by SeamusFowler264 (1 review written)

I bought these speakers perhaps a little over 20 years ago from richer sounds (for around £150) along with a Marantz pm 7001 amp. These speakers have been more or less in use every day for many hours each day and for a fair amount of that time at high volume. Over the years my musical tastes have varied and expanded from hip hop, RnB and rock music at a younger age then moving on to trance, garage, drum and bass, blues, country, jazz, metal... well just about everything, these speaker just preformed, and very well with very present and punchy focused bass. The treble I found to be upfront, bright and focused (borderline shrill) but not too fatiguing and the midrange perhaps a little flat but not boring. After moving home a few years back and loosing my "man cave" the speakers are no longer in the house but I couldn't quite sell them so they are in the garage/gym.

I had owned many other speakers over the years and currently have the monitor audio gold 300 as my main speakers, and yeah these are better in almost every way but they also cost 40 x the price. Even then the TDL's have better bass extension possibly even response, they just lack refinement. For the price I paid these have been one of my best purchases and are the only ones I have not resold.

They are a little bulky and lack the build quality / refinement of even average modern speakers, and although I liked the look when I was 10 back in the early 2000s, I'm not as keen now (although there's much worse).

I would just say that as with any speaker, AMP selection is vital. I did not find a better paring than the original Marantz. The Marantz 6010 Ki lacked the same presence, while the 8002 seemed to overpower / distort the speaker, the Peachtree nova was far too bright, and many others, technics, Yamaha, MI, NAD just didn't complement the speakers quite as well.

• Over 1 Year