Extremely poor, what's happened to the story writers?

NickC415's review of Emmerdale

“Extremely poor, what's happened to the story writers?”

Written on: 20/09/2021 by NickC415 (1 review written)

I've never written a review like this before but feel compelled to do so now. I have watched almost all the soaps on British TV over the years but have gradually stopped watching most of them as they all seem to struggle for storylines that aren't completely unbelievable and far fetched. The last soap I have been watching is Emmerdale but we've come to the point where it's stepped over the line of unbelievable now. The texting storyline is terrible with the school bullying etc and yes, I agree it goes on but how they've done it for me, personally, is very weak indeed. We have a killer (Mina) roaming around the village and you can already see her next victim (Victoria) who in all likelihood will survive and maybe will be the one to help to catch her at long last but the whole story is just unbelievable. How long do they want to drag the storylines out for??? Emmerdale seem to have sunk to having storylines that are doom and gloom rather than something decent. All soaps seem to be competing to see who can do the most awful stuff. We don't all want to watch something gloomy on an evening. A little bit of humor wouldn't go a miss and Emmerdale used to be so much more light hearted than it's got recently. Marlon must be the most morose person on the planet and leaving his brand spanking new BBQ for Matty to play with and then quite honestly, it was already working but hey, lets just squirt lighter fluid onto it and watch the flames rear up and touch his hands and all of a sudden the lad has got 3rd degree burns and wont be able to work again for ages and he wants compensation, despite being happy to help and take on the responsibility and then turn on his village friends as quickly as that to suit a narrative the script writers want to portray. Now David has been shot aswell by someone who's had a really terrible role to play for the last month or so in another unbelievable storyline with Victoria's son being left £50k by a great grandmother that's never even seen the child, her entire inheritance. I'm sorry, it's completely unbelievable and so incredibly weak. We are now turning it off as I can't be bothered to waste any more time on the program.
I'm not sure if the story writers have changed over the last 6-12 months but crikey, as if our lives weren't bad enough (18-20 months of Covid), the one little ray of sunshine that was Emmerdale have decided to write stories to grind you into the ground some more. It's going to take a turnaround to make me want to switch back on again I think. As I have said, I have never felt compelled to write something like this before but enough's enough as they say.