Managed to build it but with NO help from customer service

Ian_carsare's review of Dunster House Log Cabins - www.dunsterhouse.co.uk

“Managed to build it but with NO help from customer service”

Written on: 26/09/2019 by Ian_carsare (1 review written)

I bought a Carsare (3.5x3.5). Now it has been built it's a good product but the experince could have been so much better.
Starting with the sales process. They could not have been more helpful and pleasant (but you would expect that). I specifically asked whether I needed to pay for the 2 person delivery as the shed could not be delivered to the kerb as I don't have a driveway or front garden. The sales guy said don't worry as long as someone is there to help they will bring the shed into the house and out to the garden if required. Day of delivery truck turns up with a ton or so of shed on the back and gets dumped in the street outside my house partly blocking the road. They even swept all the debris off the back of the truck into the road. I was given no chance to inspect it but just told to sign for the delivery and speak to customer service if anyhting is missing or damaged.

On the day of the build I had 2 very warped wall timbers that would could not be used. I phoned my local Dunster House office to be told that all customer service enquiries had to be made by email. I delayed the build until the following weekend expcting to get it resolved by then. When they evetually got back to me they said that the timbers "weren't that bad" and could be rectified using clamps. We mamanged to semi-rectify one of them and put it at the rear of the shed. Doesn't look great. The other one was the 'spare' so we didn't think we would have to use it....

Inexplicably all of the short logs that went in between the window and the door were a few mm taller than all of the other wall logs. This meant that when we went to put the first long log on the front it rocked in the middle as by now the middle was a few cm higher. Another email. The response was "just trim one of the logs to the correct height". Well you can't really trim them due to the way they connect together unless you have the correct routing tools. Which I don't.

TOP TIP - We used the spare wall log and cut if to the right lengths so that we could replace the small wall logs that were too high. Probelem solved.

OTHER TIPS -

1. when building the first few layers use one of the long wall logs to ensure that the front is kept perfectly in line.

2. The clamps that are used to attach the wall logs to the window and door frame are ESSENTIAL. We missed this bit in the instructions and ended up with a rather wavy front wall. We had to take the shed down and re-do with the clamps in the correct place.

3. The shingles are not suitable for the angle of the roof on most of the sheds they sell. I wasted my money on them and planned to use them until an expert roofer (my next door neighbour) pointed out that the angle of the roof is not steep enough and that I needed to use roofing felt instead.

I'm very happy with my garden office but could have done without all the greif caused by Dunster House customer service being pretty much non-existent. You get the impression that once it's been delivered they will do anything to not have to replace any parts or provide you with any useful assistance. If I ever build another one I will not be returning - not bcause of the prduct, but beacuse of the service.

• Log Cabin