A different view point.

• Sound Quality

• Appearance

Moto-Guzzi-850's review of Yamaha YTS62 Tenor Saxophone

“A different view point.”

Written on: 17/05/2021 by Moto-Guzzi-850 (1 review written)

I'm now knocking on a bit and in years, and apart from a few years off, been playing for pleasure, at a decent standard, for circa 30 years. Started off with a student Corton, years later traded up to a Jupiter (JTS 789) and now owned a Yamaha YTS 62 for just over a year - I did want an 82, but I live in China and couldn't get one.
Initial thoughts were pretty good and it did play a bit better than the Jupiter (don't knock the Jupiter, its a damn good piece of kit at half the price)and I could get, most certainly the lower notes straight away - Jupiter diffcult. Upper register OK on all the saxes (I still have them).Then I noticed the poorish finish (by my standards) ie lack of complete buffing on the bell, heavy file marks on some keys and not to say a couple of notes were persistantly, and annoyingly, sticking. And please don't tell me its hand engraved - its too perfect, and I'm a funny bloke who can't see it when playing and its covered when in the stand.
For years I played with a Berg Larsen mouthpiece satisfactorily, on the Yamaha it sounded harsh and shrill, so having tried a few altenatives I've ended up with a Yamaha 5C which sounds average at best.
Does the YTS 62 sound any better than the Jupiter?, well personally I very much doubt it, probably too close to call. Most certainly I prefer the Yamaha as its does play better - but!
When It comes to recommendations I'd advise a Yanni first and probably a Hanson next.

• Sound Quality

• Appearance

• Advanced

Reviewer's Musical Standard