Antiquated website & awful customer service

northern lass's review of Post Office Online Saver

“Antiquated website and awful customer service”

Written on: 20/03/2018 by northern lass (17 reviews written)

Opened a PO online saver as the interest rate was slightly better than other instant access accounts. It took ages to set up, and the website is terrible. Every time you log in they ask you if you want to update your personal details - why would you? And log in is quite basic - a 6 digit online id, date of birth, and selected numbers from a 6 digit PIN.

Having had a savings account mature, I decided on Saturday to transfer £30K from my nominated account to three different savings accounts, including to PO savings account. All done by Faster Payments, with printouts stating 'Faster payment....within 2 hours'. Two of them went through pretty much instantaneously, and all three had left my nominated account. The one to PO saver still hadn't arrived on Monday morning. It's pretty stressful when £10K disappears, so I called them. The person who eventually answered said immediately, without even checking my account, that it would be a problem with the sending bank. I said the money had left that account and please could he check if there was a pending payment. With a very bad grace, he did, and said there was no payment showing. he was extremely unhelpful. So I phoned my bank and they were very helpful, said the payment had definitely left my account, but PO bank doesn't operate at weekends, but hopefully my money would be in the account by the end of that day (Monday). It wasn't. So I phoned later that day, only to be told by another unhelpful and very unpleasant person that it was St Patrick's Day in Ireland and therefore a public holiday. Leaving aside the fact that the PO Bank in the UK is administered by Bank of Ireland UK (in London), I pointed out that her colleague hadn't mentioned St Patrick's BH at all. I asked her to check if my money was 'in the system' and she said it was, but it wouldn't be credited to my account until close of the day on Wednesday, 5 days after I deposited it and 2 full working days after the BH. And of course I wouldn't get any interest until then. I pointed out that this was contrary to the banking code for faster payments, which say that deposits should be credited within 1 working day at the latest, but she just kept saying 'you agreed to the terms & conditions when you opened the account'. I've just looked at the T&Cc and nowhere does it say it can take that long. In any case, this makes a complete nonsense of an online account, when the system only operates during 'office hours'.

In fact the money made it to my account today, a day earlier than she said it would, so she hadn't a clue anyway. I will be withdrawing all my money and closing the account. I find it interesting that despite all the dreadful reviews, no-one from PO bank has bothered to comment.

• Easy Access