On Balance

Redwood3110's review of Glen Jakes Stockport

“On Balance”

Written on: 04/04/2016 by Redwood3110 (1 review written)

On balance I would say Glen Jakes is a school that ticks a lot of boxes. I've been around horses a lot but not ridden for many years and and despite looking forward to getting back in the saddle, I was an apprehensive returning rider. I booked a half our assessment, got assigned a horse that was bang on for my creaky ability and temprement preference at the moment. My instructor was friendly and good at what she does. I'm now having a few more half hour privates to get my confidence and skills back up before I join a group. The criteria for me choosing a school are: how are the horses kept, how many different instructors are you likely to have, and outdoor v indoor schooling. Facilities at bigger schools like Carrington are amazingly impressive but I don't want to waste the first 15 minutes of a lesson having yet another instructor assess me before we get cracking, unfortunately that's what happens at a bigger place. I also don't like horses being kept in the equivalent of loose boxes in all weathers, rather than stabled or stalled up in barns which happens at other schools. Indoor v. outdoor...I suppose indoor is great if the weather is bad but in places that only have one indoor arena and nothing else, you can't get booked in, and places that have both, it's the luck of the draw and you end up out in all weathers anyway. I like Glen Jakes, so far, so I'm remaining open minded.