A Mum with a gut Instinct!

Rachael113's review of Glen Jakes Stockport

“A Mum with a gut Instinct!”

Written on: 14/10/2012 by Rachael113 (1 review written)

My son has been looking after ponies at an RSPCA approved animal sanctuary for a couple of years, and I would say is clued up on the welfare and how a pony should be kept, unfortunately he was unable to ride at the sanctuary, so when it came to lessons, we looked on line for riding schools close to our home, we knew about Glen Jakes, but didnt actually know anyone who had ridden there, so we were open minded .

Choosing the nearest school wasnt an option, Ponies are unpredictable, and Im putting the safety of my son in someone elses hands . So we visited three riding schools within a couple of miles of each other and had a lesson at each , Im not going to mention the other two riding schools names , they are someones livelyhood after all , but the first one, we were not happy about the care of the ponies , and too many children volunteering, totaly unsupervised, and when I asked about filling in a registration form, I was told it was ok, there was no need if I was staying there with my son .... surely this is a legal requirement ?

Second school, we had a private lesson, first ten minutes were spent with us listening to the instructor telling us how terrible the riding school was we had previous attended ... totaly unprofessional by any standards , and were left to go to a room to sort out my sons riding hat etc ... he is a beginner, it might sound simple, but how do we know if a hat fits correctly ? The actual instructor was ok, but the staff who took the bookings rude and uninterested , we had to take our pony back to the yard and wait for sommeone to collect him, they did, no eye contact or anything , when I phoned up to cancel the lesson I had booked the following week, no questions asked just a " fine ".

In between this , we visited Glen Jakes, immediately there was a good feeling , we called on a Sunday, and yes, there was lots of young volunteers, but every single one was doing an active job, and they were supervised, and it was obvioulsy under control, polite and courtious staff in the office, we booked a lesson, and we have never looked back .

When it comes to safety nothing has been left to chance, there are full safety instructions wherever you look on the yard, safety is an obvious big deal at this place and it was something I appreciated . My son knows all about the welfare and care of ponies, and we have absolutely no complaints how these ponies are stabled or looked after , I have read about stables being to small, a stable isnt there for a pony to go for a trot in !

My son is being taught by lady called Jessica , apparently a new teacher, speaking to another parent whos daughter has been going for a number of years, Jessica knows what she is doing and teaches well, and we have been happy, my son is getting alot out of his lessons .

Reading between the lines on reviews on line of riding schools , you can tell there is a few sour grapes between people who attend different riding schools, I hope people will find this one usefull, an honest review, from a parent, but out of the three riding schools we attended, Glen Jakes, is a mile and more in front of the others we attended for everything you could want in a riding school for your child.