Olympus MJU 700 Reviews

Optical Zoom: 3x
35mm Zoom Lens: 37 - 111 mm
Digital Zoom: 5x
Focus Type: Autofocus
Focus Range: 23.62 in. to Infinity (w)
Macro Focus Range: 3.15 in. to Infinity (w) / 19.69 in. to Infinity (t)
Focal Length: 6.5 - 19.5 mm
Image Quality
Camera Resolution: 7.4 Megapixel
Image Resolutions: 640 x 480 / 2560 x 1920 / 2304 x 1728 / 2048 x 1536 / 1600 x 1200 / 1280 x 960 / 1024 x 768 / 3072 x 2304
Video
Video Resolutions: 320 x 240 (QVGA) / 640 x 480 (VGA) / 160 x 120
Video Speed: 15 fps
Max Movie Length: Without Limit (Depends on the camera free memory size)
Video Format: QuickTime / Motion JPEG
Exposure Control
Aperture Range: f3.4/f5.7 (w/t)
Shutter Speed: 4 - 1/1000 sec
White Balance: Auto / Daylight / Sunny (Preset) / Fluorescent (Preset) / Tungsten (Preset) / Overcast (Preset)
Storage
Memory Type: Built-in / xD Picture Card
Built-in Memory Size: 19.1 MB
Compression Type: JPEG / EXIF 2.2 / DPOF 1.1
File Size (High Res.): 3.82 MB (34 images on 128MB card)
File Size (Low Res.): 0.16 MB (about 800 images on 128MB card)
Flash
ISO Speeds: Auto / 100 / 200 / 400 / 800 / 1600 / 64
Flash Type: Built-In
Flash Functions: Flash Off / Auto Flash / Fill-in Flash / Red-eye Reduction Flash
Viewfinder / Display
Height: 5.6 cm
Width: 9.5 cm
Depth: 2 cm
Weight: 0.1 kg
Included Accessories: Software / USB Cable / Video Cable / Lithium Battery / Battery Charger / Strap

“I disliked the olympus mju 700 because it caused me a...”

☆☆☆☆☆

written by on 02/07/2009

I disliked the olympus mju 700 because it caused me a lot of trouble. This camera didn't work properly because of error named 5e02.

“Took lots of pictures using the Olympus MJU 700. Hate...”

written by on 16/12/2008

Took lots of pictures using the Olympus MJU 700. Hate the fact that video is in QuickTime format and this means you need to convert the files or buy the QuickTime pro software so that you can compile. Installing the Olympus Master Software be prepared for it taking over your computer. Used windows explorer in the end and removed the software after computer ground to a snails pace. Eventually formatted the computer to get rid of it completely. Something I do occasionally under protest.

“Had the Olympus MJU 700 camera for just over a year...”

☆☆☆☆☆

written by devine on 18/08/2008

Had the Olympus MJU 700 camera for just over a year and now does not work. I've looked after the camera, kept it in a case and only used it for a couple of holidays. It appears the camera suffers from a common 5e02 error, goodness knows what it is and how much it will cost to fix. I suspect it's scrap and I have to buy a new camera...grrrrrrrrr!!!! From researching the web it appears the problem is common, therefore buy the MJU 700 at your peril.

“Seemed good value for money when I bought it and takes...”

written by on 06/05/2008

Seemed good value for money when I bought it and takes good pictures. Very easy to use and navigate menus. However, it is now broken. When turning on, lens attempts to open several times and then camera locks up with blue screen of death and dreaded 5e02 error code. Searching the internet for 5e02 errors, it seems very common fault but so far it seems no one has a fix for it other than binning the camera and buying an another make. I cannot recommend this Olympus MJU 700 camera.

“It takes wonderful pictures but I'm very disappointed...”

written by MhPv on 30/01/2008

It takes wonderful pictures but I'm very disappointed that I haven't even had it for a year and it's giving me problems. I never dropped or shook it so I just don't understand. It gets an error...D: 5e02. Then lens will keep adjusting a while before it shuts off again. I haven't been able to fix it and repairing it about as much as the camera. I haven't even had it for a year!

The video record option is nice, but you need a lot of light if you want it to be viewed properly. Will never buy this kind of camera again. *frown*

429819_Bethfowler's Response to MhPv's Review

Written on: 05/01/2009

The error message (D: 5e02) means that your lens is dying / dead. It just happened to mine and I was told that it could be repaired, but it would cost as much as a new camera. I've only had mine 2 years and I've been really careful with it, so I'm a bit annoyed, but I have used it a lot!

Calbri's Response to MhPv's Review

Written on: 09/10/2009

I have just had a quote on repairing my camera with the exact same fault. The camera needs to be sent to Portugal for repair (nobody in UK repairs them) and will cost 172.50 to repair. I am claiming on the travel insurance for the breakage but I also bought an underwater housing for it as well which has never been out of the box....Ebay here we come :-(

“The Olympus MJU 700 camera looks brilliant and...”

written by tvdw on 30/12/2006

The Olympus MJU 700 camera looks brilliant and features a lot of easy to use features. The camera has a wheel on the side which you turn to get to the features, it has a playback mode on the camera as well as a good feature. The camera is weatherproof and has got a slightly stronger body than most other digital cameras. The screen on the back is very big (6cm) and so far i have had no problems with this camera.