The Grouse Inn, Ballymena Reviews

• Quality of food

The Grouse Inn, Ballymena - Ask a question now

“Just awful, don't go”

written by Eimhear on 13/02/2023

I used to love going here but ever since lockdown it's went down hill. This review is really long but the short of it is if you want terrible service, the wrong food, a microwaved meal, to be laughed at by staff and to pay plenty to get this terrible experience this is the place for you. Me and my family went here for a birthday dinner, we were seated next to the door and every time someone came in and out we were absolutely freezing (there was plenty of other tables that were free I dont know why they sat us here). I had ordered the vegetarian burger and was brought out the chicken burger, I told the waitor who didn't seem to care much at all, my mother recieved a cold roast dinner, she told them and they took it back to the kitchen and microwaved it, £16 for a microwaved roast dinner seems absolutely horrendous to me. They eventually did bring out a vegetarian burger to me but they brought out the wrong side and garnish, everyone at the table had finished their meal, I ended up sending the meal back as god knows how long they would have taken to to bring me out a third meal after waiting so long for the second. I went to pay and the server asked me how was my meal, I told her it was awful and I never received anything o asked for, she laughed in my face. Never in my life have I been laughed at by a server and for the first time ever I asked to see a manager, I stood and waited 10 minutes for him to come out, during that time the woman who laughed at me came over and told me she thought I was being sarcastic, I asked her what part of it seemed sarcastic, she never responded and walked away. Eventually when the manager did come out I told him everything that happened, he told me that if I don't book that they may not be able to give me a good seat, I told him I had booked. He avoided talking about the woman laughing in my face and instead repeatedly told me that its normal for resturaunts to sometimes get orders wrong. I totally agree with him, accidents do sometimes happen but being laughed at in my face, receiving a microwaved meal, having terrible seats and REPEATEDLY giving me the wrong meal should never ever happen all at the same meal. He asked for my number and said he'd call me to discuss giving me a gift card (why he couldnt do it then and there i dont know), its been a week and he's never called me back, I called yesterday to say and they told me he wasn't in but he'd give me a ring when he was back, still nothing.

“Have eaten in here every couple of months after...”

written by on 27/02/2011

Have eaten in here every couple of months after shopping and found it really nice and the food was very good BUT we ate in here earlier today it was disgraceful. 2 of us ordered the Sunday special and got what looked like a small piece of frying steak a third of which was fat and grizzle and was comletely inedible. The other person in our party had chicken goujons which she was really enjoying until she realised that 3/4 way through one it had been totally raw - not just pink. We complained politely and the person in our party having the goujons got 3 new ones and some tasteless chilled chips but the other 2 got nothing at all - not even an apology about the meat.

To top it all off I had to ask for more gravy as mine had dried in to my plate before getting to me and I was charged £2.50 for this and not a single penny was deducted from the bill for the bad meals we had.

I will never eat here again and will warn everyone else about this place.

“The service was really fast, helpful and polite.The...”

written by on 10/01/2011

The service was really fast, helpful and polite.The menu was extremely well priced and the food was amazing. Spent average of £13pp on food and ended up going back later in the week!
The menu was great as it had all the usuals but had suitable twists added to them and offered specials and more creative non-traditional food too. I will be back again soon!

“Modern looking but well established business. Very...”

written by on 05/12/2010

Modern looking but well established business. Very clean fast friendly service. Good menu and something to suit everyone

“Saw this link on a friends facebook page and think the...”

written by on 05/12/2010

Saw this link on a friends facebook page and think the reviews below are painting a poor picture of a great restaurant

Modern, clean and great for a pint of Guinness. Never had a bad meal there in 20 years. Not the cheapest place to eat but definitely in the top 3 restaurants in the Ballymena area

They do a famous Chicken dish with stir fry veg which is beautiful

“sour veg tough beef dirty looking chef not nice very...”

written by on 09/07/2010

sour veg tough beef dirty looking chef not nice very good service

“Have dined often at The Grouse Inn and been fairly...”

written by on 13/03/2009

Have dined often at The Grouse Inn and been fairly satisfied. However, to be served recently, what I can only describe as rancid coleslaw is completely unacceptable! My complaints, both verbal and written have 'fallen on deaf ears', and as a result I will not be dining here again.

“The service at The Grouse Inn, Ballymen, was...”

written by jimijo on 03/02/2009

The service at The Grouse Inn, Ballymen, was reasonably quick. Meal was not as stated by out waitress staff and complaining appeared to be a waste of time. Needless to say i never left a tip. i ordered the special which had been verbally advertised by the waitress who seated us and took our drinks order. when the waitress came to take our food order i asked her to tell me about the special. When my meal came the food on the plate was rather sparce, the solitary fish cake was accompanied by a small container of tartar sauce and a similar container of tomato relish. I also had a small bowl of coleslaw which i wanted instead of the rocket leaves which should have been with this meal. To my surprise the plate did not have any champ. the meal which i had twice been briefed on as having chilli champ, was devoid of any. When i called the food waitress over to enquire where the champ was she said there was potato in the fish cake but I certainly expected champ too.

“Almost the last thing I expected in Ballymena was to...”

written by on 26/06/2008

Almost the last thing I expected in Ballymena was to get a decent lunch served by a smiling waitress - but life is full of surprises. The waitresses haven't yet had the urge to smile crushed out of them. The starter (bread and olives) was spot on. The main courses (lasagne with a small Greek salad and penne with smoked haddock in a cream and grain mustard sauce) were excellent. It was a working lunch, so no drinks but the waitress brought us a carafe of iced water with lemon. I'll be back.

“Whilst the Grouse Inn restaurant and bar are well...”

written by markjmccann on 25/01/2006

Whilst the Grouse Inn restaurant and bar are well maintained and attractive to the customer, and came highly recommended, I found my dining experience here to be lacking. The menu is limited and the side orders are far from extensive. I had a steak that was ordered as medium-rare. It was such until the centre of the meat which was cold and obviously undercooked.
Having said that the waiting service was top notch, the meals were served and removed promptly with minimal disruption. When asked about my enjoyment of the meal, the waitress seemed suprised by my negative response and mentioned it to the supervisor (which is very often not the case). The supervisor however, appeared to give me the brush off.
Overall, if you want to dine in pleasent surrondings with limited dinner options in slightly cramped conditions, then choose the Grouse.

“The Grouse Inn has a very limited menu, with olive oil...”

written by KellyArmstrong on 25/01/2006

The Grouse Inn has a very limited menu, with olive oil used to excess on dishes to the point that it starts to separate with any sauce that accompanies the dish. Side dishes that are included with meals are mostly limited to potato, even if you order a stir fry they wont be substitued with a vegetable side instead. Alcohol is very over-priced and complaints are not met with any professionalism, and no restitution is offered if you didn't enjoy your meal.

“Although The Grouse Inn restaurant / bar looks the...”

written by jasonhopps on 21/01/2006

Although The Grouse Inn restaurant / bar looks the part, the limited menu is disappointing. The main ingredient of every dish appears to be olive oil, and side orders seem to emphasis this even more. Don't expect a homemade touch to your meal, or expect any empathy if you complain. All in all, a very poor experience!