Loughrigg, Ambleside Tarn Foot Campsite Reviews

Loughrigg, Ambleside Tarn Foot Campsite - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Loughrigg, Ambleside Tarn Foot Campsite

Loughrigg, Ambleside Tarn Foot Campsite

“Beautiful and basic”

Written on: 04/05/2012 by m8yna (1 review written)

What a gem of site, a beautiful location, surrounded by hills, Loughrigg Tarn, chickens, sheep. What more would you want. If you could bottle the farm smell and sell it then I would buy it. Rest assured the camping field smells fresh as daisy. 2 perfectly adequate toilets and an outside tap and sink There is a bridle path from the site to Ambleside so why not park up and walk in rather than paying for parking charges. I walked around the tarn, which didn't take long but it was a sunny blue… Read Full Review

“I came across this site 44 years ago when Dad, Mr...”

Written on: 29/04/2011

I came across this site 44 years ago when Dad, Mr Murphy was running the farm and herding the cattle; my daughter now 27 yrs used to run along side the cows at milking time and we called her Katie cow girl. Anne Murphy used to look after the chickens, calfs and lambs and Stephen was nowt but a lad. They made their own milk on the farm,which we could buy and of course the eggs. It was fairly busy at times then but you could pick and choose your quiet moments. We swam in the tarn back then from… Read Full Review

“10 years ago this was a very quiet little known site....”

Written on: 07/09/2010

10 years ago this was a very quiet little known site. In fact it took me about 3 years of finding other local sites full, to stumble on this site. Im glad it has remained basic but unfortunatly due to changes in peoples financical situations even city people are pushing up to this site and accepting the rather basic nature of the ammenities. This means that on a weekend you will often find Rangerovers and other expensive 4x4 with fishermen who think that because they paid £3 for a fishing… Read Full Review

Tonybwfc's Comment

Written on: 30/08/2013

i visit the site around 6 times a year and i am a angler, i dont think i own the tarn cos i paid £3 for my ticket, i dont mind mind people swimming as they have just as much right to swim as i have to fish. Actually the swimmers do a great service for me as they stir up the silt/ mud and that encourages the fish to feed in my opinion, also the owner who runs the farm attests to that as we have fished together on many occasions for the tench in the lake. So please dont class all Anglers in the same light, as we are all NOT alike.

I hope you still visit the site and continue to enjoy that wonderful place.

Tonybwfc's Comment

Written on: 01/09/2013

All anglers are not as you portray them, they do not think they own the waters they fish just cos they pay for a permit, ive been coming to this site for many years and several times a year too, never in all that time have i ever tried to stop people from swimming....on the contrary i like people to swim as it seems to encourage the fish to feed at the tarn, due to the bottom of the lake being stirred up.
I`ve fished here many many times with the owner of the farm and he knows that swimming in the tarn seems to get the fish on the feed. So as you see MR CLEVERCLOGS we Anglers do not all Pee in the same toilet.
Anyway i hope you still continue to visit this beautiful place. I already put in a comment but it did not appear for some reason so this is in place of the orignal.

Read 2 Comments

“Ambleside Tarn Foot is the best camp site i have ever...”

Written on: 15/06/2009

Ambleside Tarn Foot is the best camp site i have ever stayed at v basic no shops or showers . have been coming here for years and will continue to do so .Perfect. Tranquil, stunning views , fab owners, kids love it. pet friendly… Read Full Review

“I really love coming here. I come 2-3 times a year to...”

Written on: 18/07/2008

I really love coming here. I come 2-3 times a year to fish the tarn and relax. Although basic, it is the best campsite I have been to in a long time. I would recommend to anyone!… Read Full Review

“Very tranquil site near tarn at the side of Loughrigg....”

Written on: 07/07/2008 by Tim Lakin (1 review written)

Very tranquil site near tarn at the side of Loughrigg. Owners very friendly and helpful.

Would definitely come back to this site as its half way round our favourite Lake District walk… Read Full Review

“This as a great camp-site, I love coming here to relax...”

Written on: 20/06/2008

This as a great camp-site, I love coming here to relax and fish for long weekends… Read Full Review

“Last summer, we (my family and I) spent a week at Tarn...”

Written on: 16/01/2006 by jamesmiddz (1 review written)

Last summer, we (my family and I) spent a week at Tarn Foot in Loughrigg, Ambleside. We all had a great time on this very quite and non-commercial site. Really enjoyed the beautiful surroundings + great walks. Not too far from loads of things to do and see.

This is best campsite I've been to for ages. It is very simple, with only an outdoor tap and two toilet cubicles...just watch out for the chickens - they get everywhere!

I found the site through Shmootcase.co.uk - just type in Tarn Foot… Read Full Review

Bertie's Response to jamesmiddz's Review

Written on: 18/01/2006

'...just watch out for the chickens - they get everywhere!'
<br>
<br>Oh, they will, they will......including my pot!

Read 1 Comment