New Honda Civic 1.8 ES i-VTEC Reviews

3.7
  • Performance

• Practicality

• Reliability

Summary

The 2006 and Honda Civic has been described as the most 'futuristic car on the road' by many critics in the motoring industry. Do you agree with this sentiment? Or are the critics talking rubbish? Join the debate and send us a review to give your take on the New Honda Civic.
New Honda Civic 1.8 ES i-VTEC - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for New Honda Civic 1.8 ES i-VTEC

“Major safety issues such as hand-break going off all...”

written by allegrocyprus on 10/05/2010

Major safety issues such as hand-break going off all of a sudden and car rolling down the hill.. I know it sounds unbeleivable but It happened to me and 2 other friends here in Cyprus. It is so dangerous, I was shocked when I saw my car rolling down the slope as I was sitting in the living room, luckily no one was injured and there wasnt dramatic damage. It hit a tree. Honda blamed me for not pulling the hand break properly. The thing is these cars do not have the classical P-R-N-D style transmission, you end up leaving it in Neutral, and you only rely on the hand break, which is a dramatic engineering mistake. Im so dissappointed and still trying to let my voice heard...

“I have 55 plate honda civic automatic(old style)...”

written by on 13/11/2009

I have 55 plate honda civic automatic(old style) review good, but this new honda 1.8 automatic(59 plate) fuel performance very, very poor (27mpg in town0, motorway 40mpg. takes too long to warm up, when waiting in traffic with heater on the engine seems to using too much fuel, switch off heat and the revcounter goes down, this happens also when you switch the rear heater.

“Have had a number of the "old style" civics-last one...”

written by on 04/07/2009

Have had a number of the "old style" civics-last one the "s" I have had since 2004 and changed to the new Civic GS (1.8) in March this year-it is very disappointing-old civic was a thoroughbread, this car is a carthorse-smooth v-tech engine is ruined by lumpy 6 speed gearbox-visibility is appalling and headroom seems a lot more limited-i negotiated an optional spare wheel-puncture repair kits are for bicycles not cars, and I have noticed hairline cracks appearing in the paintwork, barely noticeable except when you clean the car so I will inform the dealer of this.
Positives are the good fuel economy and reliability but this car seems very much like a cross between the old civic and the accord-think I will go for the Jazz next time.

“I have own a 1.8 SE for nearly 3 years and I find it a...”

written by IEJones on 06/01/2009

I have own a 1.8 SE for nearly 3 years and I find it a joy to drive. It is certainly the most comfortable and safe car I have driven(I have owned a Focus, Citron Zara, Mitsubishi Lancer + Carisma .Megam ), While the fords road holding is excellent the overall feel of the Civic is better. The quality of finshed is good . It is a car built to be driven. I am now in the process of buying another The !.8 ES.

“The Honda Civic is the best looking car in its class -...”

written by on 05/01/2009

The Honda Civic is the best looking car in its class - mean and certainly not boring like the Ford Focus etc. I used to have an older smaller car and although I have only driven this 3 times I cant wait to get back in it tomorrow. It has lots of lovely extras like heated seats and dual climate control. The massive wing mirrors compensate totally for the lack of rear view, but you can always see if there is a car behind you. I quite like not having to watch other drivers pick their noses. Plus the spoiler blocks out irritating glare from headlights. It also turns on a sixpence making the handling much better than any other car I've driven. We will fight over who is going to drive I think! I am scared in case it gets scratched as its lovely shiny black. I am fairly short though (well 5ft5) and find it hard to fill with fuel as the cap is really high compared to other cars. But that's fine. I love it!

“I have had a 1.8 petrol model with all the extras as a...”

written by SmithKL on 15/11/2008

I have had a 1.8 petrol model with all the extras as a temporary car for 2 months. On 1st receiving the car I was amazed how bad some cars can be. It looks good but beyond the image there is nothing.
The engine and road noise are comparable with cars from 10 years ago. Below 3000rpm it is very slow [no torque] but at least the engine is acceptably quite. Above 4000rpm the engine becomes much better but is rediculously noisy. I have to say that I found the best way of making progress on is to keep the engine above 6000rpm - 2nd and 3rd gear on UK motorways.
Some of the surpising features are the folding mirrors that work only with the ignition on. The heated rear window with no timer, the complete lack of rear visibility, no rear wiper and a trip computer that is more than 15% optimistic.
Average fuel ecconomy [mixed urban driving and quiet motorway] Tank to Tank measurement 32mpg [trip cumpter reading 38mpg].
Honda problably make good motorcycles engines but they should leave car design to the experts.

“I have the Honda Civic on loan while my S2000 is...”

written by stephaniescholey on 07/07/2008

I have the Honda Civic on loan while my S2000 is fixed. When I'm too old and sore to get into the S2000, I'll buy a Civic. It has nearly the same speed, is less aggressive, has much more visibility and my only disquiet is that you can reach similar speeds without noticing! I wanted to hate it, it is ugly, but it is a beautiful drive if you don't care about sheer power, noise and mental torque.

“I've had a 56 plate 1.8 ex vtec for 8 months and I...”

written by on 12/03/2008

I've had a 56 plate 1.8 ex vtec for 8 months and I have to say its not great: There is basically zero rearward vision, the 'spoiler' presents your from see whats behind you, the lack of a rear wiper is a shame too. In anything other than 25 degree temperature you have to drive with the de-mister on to keep the screen clear. The traction control is useless, basically setting off at any sort of pace in the wet is impossible, the traction cuts the power. The vtec engine is real hard work, you have to throttle the life out of it to make any sort of progress, driving quickly is hard work, in gear acceleration is non existent and you feel like driving on the motorway is hard work. Certainly doesn't feel like 140 bhp. Honda claim 42 MPG.. yeah right... more like 33! and to add insult to injury they provide a row of economy lights to remind you that every mile in your Honda is costing more than it should! The bluetooth hands free is voice activated however it never picks you what you are saying 1st time so it take 45 minutes to make a call. The brakes are adequate.... just. I wouldn't part with 19k for one !

“Purchased the 2006 Honda Civic in Jan 2007. The car...”

written by richard rees on 25/06/2007

Purchased the 2006 Honda Civic in Jan 2007. The car has been back to the garage 3 times, with 3 faults, 2 driver door seals and 1 with a grinding fault coming from the rear, this normally happens on cold start. There has been a call back on the rear shocks and they have been changed............. but today June 25 I picked up a courtesy car, while mine was being locked at the 2nd time, and this car also has this grinding noise from the rear. Today the garage tell me that there is no fault after investigating, how unfamiliarly common these faults on both cars seem to be. A poor mechanical situation with the rear shocks. A fault that has been brought to my attention by 4 different civics.
£18000 of good spec with many gadgets to play with.

“This is my second review now I've had the New Honda...”

written by retriever100 on 16/02/2007

This is my second review now I've had the New Honda Civic 1.8 ES i-VTEC for a while. I still love it and the styling. The handling is spot on and the engine is performing great, with 42mpg returned on average, particularly on motorway cruising.

However the niggles:- The fuel cap has been fixed twice as the internal release didn't work. Found out this is a common problem and the garage knew, but waited for me to report it!! Fortunately for me I had enough fuel to get from the petrol station to the dealership (but only just).

The car has low ground clearance, I have scraped the pan a few times on the "sleeping policemen" which are just bumps. Fine if the hump is across the whole road but where they are two bumps, be careful how you position the car.

The car is still fun to drive even after 20K and the little details still impress me.

“What's that saying... oh yeah - 'Honda's Do Not Go...”

written by Keith2 on 26/12/2006

What's that saying... oh yeah - 'Honda's Do Not Go Wrong'... they do! This car isn't a patch on my previous Accord but it was good to see a motor manufacturer removing the spare wheel and using an aerosol repair outfit instead - after all motorcyclists have been using this method successfully for years.
Would I buy another Civic? Probably not?

“I bought the Honda New Civic 1.8 ES i-VTEC and...”

written by shazmatt on 04/10/2006

I bought the Honda New Civic 1.8 ES i-VTEC and absolutely love it! It is such a fun car to drive and you really feel close to the driving experience. There are nice touches for this, the pedals are in drilled metal like a sports car, the acceleration pedal goes down like a sports car. The gears are very short, but offer great power and performance. There are other touches too, like gently touching the indicators and it will indicate for 3 turns for you - handy for motorway lane changing.

On a negative note, I really cannot understand why there is no rear windscreen wiper. On day one a bird decided to christen my car and so I had to wash the back windscreen when I got home, it is a tad annoying. Also, it doesn't come with a spare wheel, just a puncture kit. Fine, but what do you do when you need to change your tyre in the middle of nowhere? I am going to purchase a spare wheel!

Overall though, an absolute joy to drive, it has put the fun back into driving for me. There is nothing quite like it on the market at the moment and many people have stopped me to ask about it.

“I ordered a 1.8 ES I-shift in March 06 and took...”

written by retriever100 on 18/08/2006

I ordered a 1.8 ES I-shift in March 06 and took delivery on June 29th. The car had a paint problem and a small crease in the near side panels that were sorted by the dealership satisfactorily. However the speedo reads 5mph high and the auto lights do not operate in conjunction with the auto wipers. Both faults were reported to the dealer and both faults are still there after the paint repair (the car was in for a week).

The car itself is great to drive, particularly in the manual mode, effectively giving a auto clutch option. My only gripe is at low speeds it tends to drop the gear to 1st causing a jerk or wheel spin as you pull away. I get round this by dropping into 1st myself. Do not bother driving it in full Auto mode, the gearchange is too jerky.

Inside the car is great, the ride is stiff but then you get great handling for that. Getting the seat position right can be a bit annoying so you can see all the indicators on the lower dash. The cruise control is spot on, even at 30mph, great for the speed camera routine. Other cars I've had struggled to control speed below 50 mph.

The design is beautiful and the little touches excellent, such as the clips for the rear seat belts when lowering the seats for bulky objects (like my golf clubs!!).

The next generation will have a rear wiper, or a courtsey squeegee supplied, as I have to wipe the dew/rain off the rear screen each morning. Once going it does not gather spray on the rear screen but in traffic in the rain, use the mirrors as the rear screen does not clear.

The instruction manual is comprehensive but would you believe I am returning to the dealership to find out where the oil level marks are on the dipstick. This is embarrassing, because as a qualified graduate engineer even I can't work it out!

Visibilty is ok, although the rear pillars do give a big blindspot when reversing around corners or out the drive, but more care resolves that issue.

Generally I love the car, the handling being superb and playing with the VTEC engine revs (when she isn't in the car!) is great, you have to rev high to find the real power, but don't be frightened to do it, the engine is designed that way.

“Got given the top of the range Honda New Civic 1.8 EX...”

written by basha on 19/04/2006

Got given the top of the range Honda New Civic 1.8 EX i- VTECH, as a courtesy car, while mine went in for a water leak, (never found). After driving the V Tech for a day, I am so so pleased I bought the 2.2 diesel sport. It's faster smoother, more economical, and so much torque, and feels better to drive altogether.

“I've had by 1.8 EX for just over 2 weeks now and can...”

written by Steve Fernandes on 26/03/2006

I've had by 1.8 EX for just over 2 weeks now and can say with my hand on my heart "What A Car".

Although some people have a problem with the exterior styling (namely the back end takes a bit of getting used too) I find the styling spot on. Honda have really grabbed the bull by the horns on this one! The front styling is great, although I do have some concerns as to the clear plastic front - how bad will this look after it's been stone chipped? I guess only time will tell. I have taken the option of the 18in alloy wheels, £850 gets you an extra inch and this could be one of the reasons for the firm ride. The car does fill you with confidence whilst being driven. It's cornering abilities are awesome, it sticks to the road at whatever speed you choose to take the corner at (those Yokohama tyres must have been dipped in super glue). It begs to have the throttle stamped on and is extremely rewarding to drive when you do so. 0-60 is achieved in about 8.5 seconds and yet when driven "sensibly" will reward you with about 40mpg. I have read in reviews that they think the car is noisy at motorway speeds, yes you can hear a bit of road noise but they make it sound like it's deafening, it isn't. I can only assume they have all been driving £50k BMWs for too long 

Now for the interior! I don't think there is much more I can say about it that hasn't already been said. It's a work of art! The dashboard wraps around the driver and although there are an array of buttons, everything is easy to use. The voice activated sat nav, stereo and Bluetooth phone all work well and again are straight forward to master. The stereo system (upgraded mine to concert - bass works) is phenomenal.
The seats are extremely comfortable and the "magic" one touch operation to lower or lift the rear seats is the best thing since sliced bread. Rear visibility isn't great for parking but I have taken the parking sensors option and that eliminates the problem.

I have had a few cars in my time (although it's the first Honda I have owned) - If you want a car that's rewarding to drive and will put a smile on your face , you can't go wrong with this!

Darwen's Response to Steve Fernandes's Review

Written on: 27/03/2006

Your 18'' alloys aren't giving you the hard ride. The car gives a hard ride anyway. But it still is the fastest car I've driven in its class (when it comes to cornering).
And I love mine. Glad to hear you love yours too.

“Had my Honda New Civic 1.8 ES i-VTEC for a week and am...”

written by D Whitehead on 26/03/2006

Had my Honda New Civic 1.8 ES i-VTEC for a week and am more delighted with it each day as I discover clever touches in terms of design and user-friendly aspects. I especially love the look of the car and so do my friends, if they are telling me the truth!

The car is responsive and acceleration is really impressive. The stereo system is excellent and the aerial works beautifully even though I was dubious about having one built in to the rear window. Stations can be picked up easily and there's no drift either. Attention to detail in the car is first rate.

Most of all, I am delighted that for a mass production vehicle there is a sense of adventure about this car which makes owning it a pleasure. Why some people carp about the design of it I really cannot fathom - What Car magazine reviewers are plain wrong in my judgement and I think the public will show that by buying this car in droves - let's hope that the gamble by Honda pays off so other car manufacturers follow suit and put some exciting designs onto our roads.

“I drive a lot of different cars through the course of...”

written by jastulewis on 17/03/2006

I drive a lot of different cars through the course of my business, using hire cars almost 2 times per week. To date I have mostly driven the new Astra, Golf and Megan and found these to be adequate, if a little more thirsty than expected from 1.6 motors.

Got a Civic 1.8 SE with leather trim on hire last week - what can I say - an absolute revalation! Right from the off this car knocks the others into nowhere. The whole feel of the car, the dash layout, level of comfort, ride, speed and looks just move it into a bracket previously unexplored by any other manufacturer. The Golf is utterly bland in comparison - I do not see the attraction of teutonic efficiency when spending £15k on a car.

The economy on the Civic was hard to believe - 45 mpg at motorway speed plus a bit more! Between Kent and Cambridge, and 50mpg on a short motorway trip at the speed limit. This is diesel teritory.

This car was so good I decided to bite the bullet and buy the 1.8 SE, shopping in my 6 year old 306 HDi. To me this is a no-brainer as the loss in economy, when considering the difference in price between petrol and diesel. The Honda Hapiness package for £500 pounds is superb and makes private ownership a joy.

Overall Excellent!!

“I've done 3000 miles in my new Civic EX 1.8 VTEC and I...”

written by Darwen on 08/03/2006

I've done 3000 miles in my new Civic EX 1.8 VTEC and I must admit I'm in love with it.

It's great at speed on motorways, it's great going around corners - even in the wet because of the traction control - and it's very comfortable on long trips.

However let's deal with the basics. I have never owned a car which I find people gawping at and looking around in car parks. Until now. The looks are truly stunning, and even after having it for nearly two months now I still look back and smile every time I leave it.

Besides how it looks outside it looks even better inside. I love the driving position which is quite high, and with the wrap-around dashboard it really does make you feel surrounded by the car as opposed to someone just sitting in it.

The downpoints ? The ride is quite hard and can get very jiggly on poorly surfaced roads. However I doubt that Type-R owners complain about such things and so neither will I. In fact after 3000 miles the car has softened a bit and I've just gotten used to it.

The engine is fantastic. It's very nimble from low speeds but get it above 5000 revs and this fantastic whine starts to feel the cabin - and my grin just gets wider and wider.

Some of the press have been rather hard on the new shape Civic and I can't see why. Every owner review I've ever seen has been fantastic and I must say I agree whole heartedly.

And the best bit ? It's a Honda which means it won't go wrong : at least rarely, and if it does the dealerships are fantastic at getting them fixed.

Job done.

“Had my 1.8EX Petrol Honda Civic for a fortnight now...”

written by KillingJoker on 21/02/2006

Had my 1.8EX Petrol Honda Civic for a fortnight now and really enjoying driving it. Had a couple of niggles to begin with (but could be dealer issues??) i.e. discovered two door 'dings' when I got the car home (and I had driven straight home from the dealer) and the steering wheel had a slight left hand bias when driving straight. Got on to the dealer who had a specialist dent repairer sort the dents the following day, and had the steering sorted the following week (needed a tracking adjustment). The level of equipment on the EX is awesome, comfort is excellent and the engine has a great combination of performance / economy and keeps within a low emissions category for tax (£125 a year at time of writing). I found it a bit weird that a spacesaver spare wheel is a (£100!!) option as according to Honda drivers only have a flat tyre once every 7 years on average, so it makes more sense to give more boot space and provide a can of Tyre Weld instead. The instrumentation is like something from the space shuttle and is great for gadget fans (like me!!). The voice activation takes some getting used to, and using the sat nav I found that asking it to "find the nearest pub" (for testing purposes I might add!!) suggested the nearest being a hotel in Wales as first choice, and several bars in Belgium or France as the other choices - a bit of trek when you live in the Midlands!! I assume this is due to only certain establishments registering with the provider of the sat nav system? I'd be interested to hear from other owners in case it's just an issue with my vehicle.
That 'niggle' aside, it is very clear to follow, and is pretty comprehensive. You do feel a bit of weirdo talking to your car, but I expect once you're used to it, it will be less distracting to "say" your required function than to fiddle with switches. At the moment I haven't seen another new shape Civic on my local roads, and it's quite amazing how many people stare at the car when I'm driving it about - there isn't really anything that looks quite like it on the road at the moment.
I expect it'll take me quite a few more weeks before I absorb everything in the manual, but so far I'm enjoying the car immensely.

Bearnfridge's Response to KillingJoker's Review

Written on: 05/04/2006

I've just bought a 1.8ex as well and it is amazing - but I've got the same problems with the satnav. It seems there are no 'pubs' (surely a category which primarily applies to the UK?) or fastfood restaurants (and maybe some other categories) in England. Anyone know who the satnav vendor is?

Killingjoker's Response to KillingJoker's Review

Written on: 18/04/2006

Hi Both,
<br>
<br>Thanks for both replies and feedback. I'm not sure who manufactures/provides the software for the SatNav either, I'll have to do some digging and find out. My car needs to go back to the dealer shortly too - problem with the tracking (pulls to the left) and I was told by the technician who test drove it that my rear shocks need replacing too!! Apparently some of the early new shape Civics were fitted with some dodgy ones - at least he spotted it, I thought any rattling I'd encountered was from the bits and pieces stowed in compartments in the boot (tyre weld, jack etc.)
<br>Cheers,
<br>KJ

Bearnfridge's Response to KillingJoker's Review

Written on: 18/04/2006

The satnav is by Navteq.
<br>
<br>Also a cool thing about Honda is that you don't have to decide you want the option when you buy the car - you can buy the camera later for the same price as in the brochure. I think that is pretty unique. I was going to go for the camera but thought it was too much money in the end, but I might well go for one later on.

Spannersuk's Response to KillingJoker's Review

Written on: 10/04/2006

I was wondering the same thing - for a slightly different reasons. I'm thinking of adding the rear-view parking camera to my EX (using the Sat Nav as a TV screen) and as I can get a colour rear view camera for about £100, the £650 the Honda dealer wants to charge does seem a bit excessive. However to get the right camera I need to know who makes the Sat Nav? Anyone know.... any info would be much appreciated.

“What can I say, I'm 23 and I've bought the Honda...”

written by ihamshaw on 30/01/2006

What can I say, I'm 23 and I've bought the Honda Civic. Fantastic package, superb value for money. I bought the top spec 1.8EX with everything, on a BMW 1 Series this would have cost £30k. Mine was £17.5k ordered via Sainsburys bank. It is cool, it does turn heads, people email me at work to comment! Space is fantastic, dash looks crazy but eveything fits and works perfectly. There is slight overkill on the voice control front, seeing as there are then three ways (voice, knob, via sat nav screen) to do everything. Performance wise I can't fault it, smooth to 4000revs for normal driving, mad beyond that, just toned a toned down Type R. I've had it for two weeks and I can't complain.