Nationwide Building Society Reviews

• Cash Point Facility

Nationwide Building Society - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Nationwide Building Society

Nationwide Building Society

“Worst Building Society ever”

Written on: 04/08/2022 by McGee175 (1 review written)

Could not resolve a complaint if they tried No customer service skills on any level Treated like dirt on the bottom of a shoe Spoken to like a child Cover each other’s back at every opportunity Rude disinterested staff Would NEVER recommend them for anything No loyalty to customers

“Treated like a criminal after 9 years ”

Written on: 22/07/2022 by Johnttttt (1 review written)

Use to rate nationwide highly and recommend them. But I changed jobs, become self employed and now treated like a criminal. They gave me couple days notice froze my accounts kept my money and paid no direct debits as I'm paying cash into my account, recon I'm some sort of major drug dealer as I paid in £6000 over 5 months. Now just sitting on my account no answers after 7 days after I filled there forms in asking questions like who's eBay(asked 8 times) and my connection to them as to why I paid money to them. Totally do not care and when I said I want to complain I said ok they ring me back within 5 days. Day 6 no call. Just told to wait while they review. But nothing happens. Shocking bunch of arrogant fools. I understand they have a duty to check for drug money ect but there so bad at there job they could not catch a cold. Poor.

“Never again shall I deal this company”

Written on: 21/06/2022 by IanBlack1000 (1 review written)

Disgustingly immoral bunch of people. The gave us mortgage approval and all was going well until we had to pull out of our house purchase due to a survey issue. Don’t worry the Nationwide said, find another house and we can proceed. We found another house, instructed solicitors to proceed. It was at that point, the Nationwide declined to issue us with a mortgage as we no longer met their new criteria. Thanks a bunch you good for nothing buch of bar stewards, left us homeless. Luckily, Barclays came to the rescue with absolutely brilliant service and we are no longer homeless. DO Not USE THIS BUNCH !!! would be my recommendation.

“Ask to get your data eased”

Written on: 18/03/2022 by LaineyMcIntosh (1 review written)

I had been a member for many years and recently closed all of my accounts following a lack of interest in the retention of business from the CEO. Following this I asked them to erase all of my data and following some very inconsistent replies saying it's 12 years and then only 6 I received a final email from them saying that they would not reply to any further correspondence saying that any further contact from me would be marked as unanswered. How rude is that? I had previously asked for copies of all of my data which I did receive a link to and you would be amazed how much and what they retain. So I have made a note to contact them in 6 six years to have it all removed as one of the things that they never assured me of was that it would actually be deleted even then. Time will tell, so be warned and maybe check out your position.

“No knowledge, don't follow FCA guidelines”

Written on: 09/03/2022 by LillianaFournier (1 review written)

Staff on online chat are beyond useless. They give wrong info and don't even apologize for their incompetence. The ones on the phone aren't much better. Miserable as sin and unhelpful. They talk to you like dirt unless you are high net worth and never try to put their mistakes right. I am going to try to leave them.

“Please be careful! Back in January had a discussion...”

Written on: 10/02/2022 by Baba1256 (1 review written)

Please be careful! Back in January had a discussion with the cashier over security checks ; just because I said I didn’t like the way the checks are done which made me looked like a criminal. I then complain about the staff and then got a letter accusing me of shouting and intimidating the cashier . I asked for the CT camera and they said they could do it . Will remove my money Be CAREFUL !!

“very recently i noticed that payees i had paid...”

Written on: 24/08/2021 by stevekmat (1 review written)

very recently i noticed that payees i had paid previously were disappearing from my list of payees so i contacted Nationwide as I thought it may be an error but it isnt they are deleting payees from my list without my permission they claimed it was only for ones i had not used for a couple of years but it isnt because today they deleted my own account at another bank and my mortgage company despite me making payments to both within the last two years when i complained they said if im unhappy i can go to the ombudsman what great service from a members society dont feel much like a member just a poorly treated customer it seems all the banks can just do what they want and we just put up with it

“Very helpful”

Written on: 20/07/2021 by Boyd496 (1 review written)

I was scammed and nationwide were very helpful gave me back the money, I also got compensation for a bit of a mess they done on my acct and it was sorted. I've recently had another problem with a loan company I pay each month, the lady on the phone was very helpful pointed me in the right direction. So up till now I have no complaints to date.

“Very very poor”

Written on: 23/03/2021 by Henry105 (1 review written)

I have always held the nationwide in the highest regard unfortunately not anymore. I am 72 years of age and wanted to port my existing mortgage over onto a new property having sold the mortgaged property. Applied for a mortgage that would be paid off at 85 told no even though my existing mortgage would take me there. The reason being that they currently are not operating that scheme and don't know when it will be operational. Was advised to apply for a normal mortgage again no, had to be repaid by 75 so no chance not worth bothering with. Left fuming by the poor chap on the line who basically said well not much. Went to another lender no problems very efficient which is a far cry from the nationwide. Felt as though age does matter with the nationwide.

“Rude staff & complaints just fob you off or ignore you”

Written on: 19/01/2021 by George191 (1 review written)

Rude staff & complaints just fob you off or ignore you. Lazy staff & rude, you complain & they fob you off saying your at fault or was asked for wrong information .

“Dispassionate, Deceptive & Ruthless”

Written on: 04/12/2020 by cvDaley279 (1 review written)

Be it through death, separation or ill health, entirely ignore their rhetoric about being helpful and 'more' caring as a Mutual Society when problems raise their ugly head (even to long standing customers) as they care but for themselves. STAY CLEAR. I have been banking for many years with different companies, and never come across such an arrogant and inconsiderate bank, with entirely lousy and incompetent customer service. Based on implications from the FOS they just about operate within legal requirements, but with little consideration for the customer. This is the first of many reviews, as despite their prominence in the market, stay away. Loyalty and history count for absolutely nothing with the Nationwide. When life throws a curve ball at you, as it does, there is no help despite a campaign to say otherwise. I believe other reviews support my comments, and you should listen to them.

“DO NOT TRUST THIS BS WITH SAVINGS ”

Written on: 20/10/2020 by JBrewer123 (1 review written)

I have held 2 accounts wit Nationwide for over 14 years. And have never had any problems until recently. However, my husband and myself recently opened another account with them for savings as we were about to complete on a property sale and the proceeds we wanted kept separate. Our solicitor sent via CHAPs our funds which were declined by Nationwide but if took 5 days to find this out as firstly customer services said no money had been sent. We were told 3 different reasons why the payment was refused, one of which by a CS services advisor that new legislation was brought in ‘sometime’ this year saying all payments had to be made to the payees initials NOT the full Christian names. Whilst another said that only our surname had been used for the transaction. The Financial services ombudsman confirmed no such legislation had been made. 6 days on and the money has not been received back to our solicitor - this should not be allowed and surely is highly suspicious, worrying and incompetent. When we finally find the funds and I pray we do.

“Good for online banking, in-branch customer service is bad”

Written on: 21/09/2020 by 370Kearns (1 review written)

After some bad experiences with staff in branches, I would no longer recommended Nationwide BS. Their online banking is good, and works well, so if you only want online banking it's good. But in the local branch, the ATM outside took someone else's card, and then someone else's, and the staff were slow to help. Of the two ATMs inside, one was broken, and at the other one a customer had problems. So queueing up to get cash, the staff are rather rude at times, telling people to use the cash machines (which often do not work).

“Horrendous Service”

Written on: 26/08/2020 by 61Rice (1 review written)

I have had a mortgage with Nationwide for over 10 years and saw that they were offering a great rate on persona loans. I applied online and received an email the next day saying that they required more information and would send me a letter with the details. Why they couldn't put that in the email defeats me! I waited a couple of days and got the letter. It said they needed proof of income and detailed the options I had. I duly printed the information from my account on HMRC's website and took it to my local branch. Two days later I received an email asking me to call them to progress the application. I was on hold for an hour(!) only to be told that the information I provided was not acceptable. Apparently, they only accept a specific form from HMRC, although this was not shown in the letter. It is now 9 days since I first applied. By contract, I applied the same day to MNA, bank that I have no dealings with - the money was in my account the next day. Was so annoyed that I told them to cancel the application. Great example how not to treat customers......

“Waitng over a month for an ISA transfer”

Written on: 09/05/2020 by 1994Stone (1 review written)

I requested my ISA transfer over 4 weeks ago after they reduced their interest rate. My money has still not be transferred, despite several emails. The receiving bank 'The Coventry' has given my a list of their unsuccessful requests to date to obtain transfer of the ISA. The Coventry has been helpful. The Nationwide have not even responded to my last 4 email complaints, nor as I write this yet moved my money. How can a bank operate like this?

“ZERO STARS!!!”

Written on: 08/04/2020 by AshleyBowers14 (1 review written)

Never use Wisbech branch, rude, disgraceful staff using Corona virus as an excuse for their incompetency and rude behavior! I have requested my account to be closed 3 times now, but they are ignoring my emails. Save yourself a loads of upset and NEVER USE THEM! AVOID!!!

“Disgraceful service / support”

Written on: 23/03/2020 by MrS-Y (1 review written)

Disgraceful customer service and banking facility. If anyone still banks with them I recommend you switch if you ever want to get any descent customer service and aid in times of need. Having fallen a victim to Coronavirus was worried about making loan repayments for the upcoming month as I was in self-isolation and on unpaid leave from work. Have always kept up with my loan payments and never missed anything for the past 3 years. Dont let the false advertisements on their website fool you, they try to come across as they are very helpful and that they will assist their customers during "challenging times", having called their "Triage" team and waited over 1 hour on hold, I pleaded with the rep to offer some help to overcome the situation am in, wether that will be 1 month payment holiday on the loan or an increase in overdraft / credit card limit to tie me over just for 1 month and the outcome was, they only offered to change the repayment date on the loan and move it back by upto 14 days like that is going to help!, they do this all year round , nothing new and certainley no additional help during this pandemic. These stingy people did not even consider freezing credit card or overdraft fees just for 1 month till i return to work. Lastly in the same week, i accidently transfered some money from my current account to my credit card (online via internet banking), I was meant to transfer it to my savings account but as you know its very easy to select the wrong account to transfer money to in the drop down menu. After realising my mistake, I found there is no option to transfer money back from your credit card to your current account. I gave customer support a call and got through to a guy called "Sachin" (sounded like a right chav) whom immediatly said "you been passed to me in the collections department, your balance is xx and you need to pay xx"... I thought what the hell is this guy on? No one passed me through, I called in and my query is not related to balance, I have already paid the monthly amount due on my card thanks!!, I then told him the reason for my call to which he replied to transfer money back from credit card to current account would take 5 days to process..... and as i questioned why so long, he replied, you made the mistake what do you want us to about it? As you can see, the customer service is shocking, rude, incompetent staff even at the highest level, you can not even get through to a manager or to the complaints team, instead they take your number and you'd be lucky to ever recieve a call back from the complaints department. This is the 21st century folks.....and Nationwide expects you to wait 5 days to get funds transfered from your nationwide current account to your nationwide credit card back, come on people, open your eyes. just check what other banks offer and you will be suprised at the level of care and service compared to Nationwide which is a sinking ship! By the way, I also had a loan with YB and Post office and having spoke to their financial care team, they both provided a month payment holiday to assist me during the crisis which has meant reduced income. I am ever grateful to these banks and the difference between customer care and support is night and day compared to the crooked Nationwide. I will ensure on my return to work that I change bank details with my employer to YB with the outlook of closing my bank account with them.

“Plastic and Fake”

Written on: 06/02/2020

I've had a credit card for twenty plus years with Nationwide. Always pay in full each month but now I find I can't access my account online because they want me to re-register all the details they already have and to provide a mobile number. Ok, but unfortunately I'm one of those few people who do not have a mobile phone. So having just spoken to a rather offhand, uninterested (I phoned in the morning and he greeted me with ‘good evening'), verging on the rude, employee, if I want to continue having a card I now have to go into a Nationwide branch to register my details. Unfortunately for me I live about twenty miles from the nearest branch. The above small vignette of social interaction aroused my curiosity as to the qualities Nationwide look for in their potential employees. Here are some extracts from a current job advert: “We’re not like a bank. We’re not like other financial services companies. We’re not really even like other call centre environments either. We’re a building society. So we’re building our ‘society’ with a sense of community and with a collective belief in the idea that we’re all here to help each other. That’s what we’re all about and that’s what makes us different. As a Customer Service Consultant at Nationwide, you’ll be making our customers’ lives easier and helping them to make the big decisions for their future... you’ll play a pivotal role when it comes to supporting our members. But, you’ll do more than just communicate; you’ll advise, dipping into your empathy, and ability to help members get the right outcome for them. Nationwide is the world’s largest building society. But, however large we grow, we will never lose sight of what makes us different: our commitment to our members and to building our society in the right way. Our goal is to be more than a business. We want to be known as an organisation that is always open, honest and trustworthy, where people are helped, supported and loyal. That’s as true for our employees as it is for our members. Help us build on our values and we’ll help you build an amazing career. At Nationwide we have a strong ethic of care, and a genuine concern for each other and our members. We are committed to creating a culture that recognises and truly values our individual differences and identities. If you’d like to be a part of an inclusive workplace where you can be yourself, where your talents are nurtured and you feel empowered to contribute then please apply and help us in building society, Nationwide.” Wow, that’s some statement. Well at least they are correct in saying they are “not like a bank” – more like the primate house in a zoological gardens. I can visualise now the beds of straw in the corner and the bananas hanging from the branches as the inmates fend off unwanted phone calls from their ‘members’. The reality is that the Nationwide ethos is constructed from the same material as their credit cards...

“Had a fraudulent transaction on my current account....”

Written on: 22/11/2019

Had a fraudulent transaction on my current account. Spoke to them and I can honestly say it is the worst customer service. Refused to investigate fraud and refund money. Your money is not safe with them. I have never encountered this before with any other bank or financial institution

“Excellent, Informed, QOS++”

Written on: 29/09/2019 by MScWOT (1 review written)

Overall, My opinion of them rates them Very Highly, as being Professional, Courteous, and down to earth. (still live on Same Planet !). Thank Gaiea !! These are again IMO their ability to also let you down Gently with appropriate ongoing support and advice. RARE Indeed that been sincerely offered. Basically their customer services QOS has ensured I remain loyal. Overall, I have to praise them, a few hiccups did occur but they were liveable. If a few more pennies matter more than stated earlier: i.e. V. Good QOS, Then I wish you well. But given my time, money and sheer headaches, IMO about the Best.. NBS gets my Vote! (ps Cash donations most welcome!) Laugh Loud !